• StopItStopIt Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    no i don't get warm home discount so that doesn't even apply here

and secondly the tag line in tariff clearly states
    "its the cheapest on the market"
    when it clearly isn't

but I guess they get away with it with the "typical user" part

Apologies, your picture said it applied or to "Expect it".

If you're on a long term fix from last year, this will be more expensive as energy prices have went up since then. Anyone who needs a new fix, or are on SV tariffs can save, but as you prove, higher usage users will not find this the cheapest deal.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheap Energy Club/MSE states you can leave penalty-free 50 days before contract ends.

Both Ofgem and Which? say it's between 42 and 49 days:

You will receive a notice 42-49 days before the end date of your fixed term tariff to inform you that your tariff is coming to an end. Should you choose to switch after this point, suppliers can’t charge you a termination fee.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/simpler-clearer-fairer/fairer-treatment

If they're right (and surely Ofgem should know what they're talking about) switching between 42 and 49 days before the end of the contract surely risks a penalty?
  • phillwphillw Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    how much is green star giving MSE to plug their expensive (supposedly cheapest on the market tariff) ?

I just tried CEC and sorted by "Including Cashback" and they were joint cheapest with economy energy, but green star has a lower exit fee. So I wouldn't say that it was an expensive tariff at all.

However I am a low user & green star is aimed more at low users (not as much as my existing iresa tariff though).

I don't think anyone who is on a fixed deal is expecting to save £280 or for this tariff to be better than what they are already on, especially if what they are already on is no longer available.
  • edited 26 April 2017 at 3:50PM
    polymaffpolymaff Forumite
    3.8K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 April 2017 at 3:50PM
    There was a time when MSE used to slam ISPs for advertising 8Mbit/sec adsl when some punters would never get 8Mbit/sec. Even when they squeezed a tiny "up to" into the pitch they were still condemned.

How times change.
  • Cisco001Cisco001 Forumite
    3.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not the cheapest bill available to switch on the market for me.
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Cheap Energy Club/MSE states you can leave penalty-free 50 days before contract ends.

Both Ofgem and Which? say it's between 42 and 49 days:

You will receive a notice 42-49 days before the end date of your fixed term tariff to inform you that your tariff is coming to an end. Should you choose to switch after this point, suppliers can’t charge you a termination fee.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/simpler-clearer-fairer/fairer-treatment

If they're right (and surely Ofgem should know what they're talking about) switching between 42 and 49 days before the end of the contract surely risks a penalty?

See the other thread you've posted this same comment in

Good luck!
  • footyguyfootyguy Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    how much is green star giving MSE to plug their expensive (supposedly cheapest on the market tariff) ?

sounds to me MSE have lost their morals by flogging expensive tariffs and making false claims/statements which are clearly wrong

but I guess its all about making money now since its been sold

I believe the going rate is typically £60 per dual fuel customer switched.

Then they'll give the customer £30 cashback.

So if they achieve the maximum 50,000 switches the supplier states they will accept onto this tariff, then that could be £1.5million for MSE :money:
  • footyguy wrote: »

So if they achieve the maximum 50,000 switches the supplier states they will accept onto this tariff, then that could be £1.5million for MSE :money:

Bottom line - It's a money making out of money saving site, which relies on the goodwill of it's many forum users, too, who give their time and knowledge to help others, on all forums.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • Doc_NDoc_N Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    footyguy wrote: »
    See the other thread you've posted this same comment in

Good luck!

No proper answer there as yet - thought someone here might have the answer. :)
  • victor2victor2 Forumite
    5.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not "cheaper than the market's cheapest" for me either. In fact it's the 9th in CEC's list. All of which will cost me more than the tariff I'm currently on.
    But as already said, it's just another profit making organisation. As are the other switching sites, but at least they don't fly the MSE flag.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals