»

MSE News: It's on! Slash your energy bill by £280/year

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH
FOREIGN OFFICE TRAVEL ADVICE * FURLOUGH UPDATE * MORTGAGE LENDING

MSE News: It's on! Slash your energy bill by £280/year

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
25 replies 3.6K views
Legacy_userLegacy_user
0 posts
MoneySaving Newbie
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
We've 50,000 deals - all-in cheaper than the market's cheapest...
Read the full story:
'It's on! Slash your energy bill by £280/year'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• NittyGrittyNittyGritty Forumite
    907 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    total waste of time ,not only is it false advertising its also false claims
    alr9f5.jpg
    907 posts
    ✭✭✭
    same page as you can see
    1/MSE deal IS NOT the cheapest
    2/its not the cheapest on the market either

2rzxnvo.jpg
  • white*starwhite*star Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, Im trying to get an accurate comparison but I'm getting confused. I switched last year with MSE to Flow and I received an email to say at the end of the fixed term I would be automatically switched to the Flow Fixed May 2018 tariff, but your comparison is done with Flow variable tariff? I updated my meter readings online with flow yesterday, would they be able to give me uptodate annual usage figures if i call them or do I just work from the figures from my last statement of 08Apr? Thanks.

907 posts
    ✭✭✭
    how much is green star giving MSE to plug their expensive (supposedly cheapest on the market tariff) ?

sounds to me MSE have lost their morals by flogging expensive tariffs and making false claims/statements which are clearly wrong

but I guess its all about making money now since its been sold
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    14.6K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who is going to give me the £280 quid .
    Certainly not the deal advertised above .
  • StopItStopIt Forumite
    1.5K posts
    I'm a Volunteer Board Guide
    same page as you can see
    1/MSE deal IS NOT the cheapest
    2/its not the cheapest on the market either

2rzxnvo.jpg

I'm going to defend MSE here.

Firstly, your comparison includes the Warm Home Discount? They clearly said that this tariff doesn't include this so comparing in this case is not entirely fair.

In my usage case, Gas: 11341 kWh/yr, Electricity: 2722 kWh/yr, the MSE fix is exactly what they said it would be.

Slightly more, £20/yr more than the cheapest I can find on the meerkat before cashback, cheaper after.

My current fix, Scottish Power May 2017 ends obviously next month. This is more expensive than that but over £100 cheaper than their current fix.

Of course no deal is cheaper for everyone but I'd lay off the hyperbole as this deal IS good for me and I'm sure others.

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • It should be remembered, these deals are largely for people who have never switched / rarely switch / on a standard tariff?

It's not necessarily for "serial" switchers / those who switch regularly, the likes of whom post on this forum.

We've 50,000 deals - all-in cheaper than the market's cheapest...

Whatever that means?

There is ONE deal for 50,000 customers:

It's capped at 50,000 switches: The deal is currently capped at 50,000 dual-fuel (100,000 single-fuel) switches - we will try for more, but we can't be sure. Either way it closes at 10pm Thu 11 May at the latest. So go quick.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    907 posts
    ✭✭✭
    StopIt wrote: »
    I'm going to defend MSE here.

Firstly, your comparison includes the Warm Home Discount? They clearly said that this tariff doesn't include this so comparing in this case is not entirely fair.

no i don't get warm home discount so that doesn't even apply here

and secondly the tag line in tariff clearly states
    "its the cheapest on the market"
    when it clearly isn't

but I guess they get away with it with the "typical user" part
  • edited 26 April 2017 at 1:40PM
    fredandwilmafredandwilma Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 26 April 2017 at 1:40PM

and secondly the tag line in tariff clearly states
    "its the cheapest on the market"
    when it clearly isn't

but I guess they get away with it with the "typical user" part

You're right in as much as it clearly isn't "cheaper than the markets cheapest" for everyone, although "typical user" (what's one of those?) wasn't used in the tag line.

GSE is in equal second place for me via the CEC, with GNE being the cheapest, so it clearly isn't the cheapest on the market, for me.

Which raises the question?:

If something is advertised as "cheaper than the markets cheapest," should it actually be the cheapest on the market, in this instance? :D

If you are a member of the CEC, would you expect to see this deal as the cheapest on the market, whether you are a "typical user," on a standard tariff, etc?

There are regional variations too, of course.

Disregarding your current tariff, as the tariff will most likely be more expensive than many users current tariffs, we are looking at it from an objective point of view - I.e. what is being offered, right now.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • worried_jimworried_jim PPR
    11.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just checked mine and I am already on the cheapest deal (affect energy) till the deal ends on Aug 31st. No dramas.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support