Options
2»

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Official Source:

"You must declare cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any non-EU country."

and
    "Penalties
    You could face a penalty of up to £5,000 if you don’t declare your cash or give incorrect information.

Your declared cash can be seized by customs officers if they have reasonable grounds to suspect a crime. They can keep the cash for 48 hours - after that they need a court order."

I think your £2K won't need to be reported, but there are other safer methods of money around please read here & here as well as checking your EHIC

Happy Travels!
  • hotlatte
    hotlatte Posts: 158 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much for help
  • fifeken
    fifeken Posts: 2,702 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    spiro wrote: »
    The HMRC rules open to you questioning and possible confiscating of cash over £1000 if you can't provide evidence of a legitimate source of the cash. Obviosuly if you can subsequently prove the source you get it back.

I don't think it's HMRC rules that come into play for the £1,000 threshold. I understand this is set in the Proceeds of Crime Act.

HMRC rules do come into play for the 10K limit, but as helpfully pointed out by benjus, these rules don't apply in the OP's case.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure