PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Thumping in a new build home!

Options
Hi, bought a new build flat 3yrs ago from Barrats but cannot live here due to thumping and rattling of my whole ceiling when people in flat above are walking.
Their floor sinks in and rattles too. It's awful when washing machine is on. They say it's heavy footed neighbours which is not true as it's a light small lady.
They've seen it, raised their eyebrows and left. I've had to threaten to go to the media and now a director has agreed to investigate after 3yrs.if they resolve can I Claim compensation as this has been hell for us.we go out for respite. It's caused so much ill health due to the stress and constant inability to rest at home. What can I do and where to go? Thanks in advance

Comments

• fishpond
    fishpond Posts: 1,022 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A Solicitor would be my first port of call.
    I am a LandLord,(under review) so there!:p
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That sounds dangerous to me. If their floor is sinking when they walk on it, it sounds as if the joists might not be properly supported. Has it got worse over time?
  • Shaje
    Shaje Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yes it has, everyone tells me this is a real problem but where do I go from here? Pls help
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not wait until the director has investigated then decide where to go?
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you need/want to pursue it from a legal perspective (rather than negotiation) you'll need evidence.

An independant surveyor's report would be my advice. The surveyor may need access to the flat above which could be a problem though.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,535 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    If its new build it will be covered by a warranty - that's your first port of call, but you have to be very persistent and may need independent expert advice on the problem.

After many years of complaint a friend proved his flat had not been built correctly, the walls may as well have been paper. It resulted in half of the flats being completely rebuilt - a huge job, he had to move out for 6 months, but the warranty company paid.
  • Shaje
    Options
    Yes, I'm waiting for directors response.
    Sitting here now with this thumping is so so hard:-(( I just cry with a headache and I'm left with trembling noise in my head even after I've left home.
    If they repair and just say it's fine now,can I claim for compensation as this is not fair to make us suffer and work so hard to push them.
    I will of course appreciate the end to the noise disturbance.
  • Shaje
    Options
    Daveyjp how'd ur friend do it please?
    Anyone know of a sound equipment as it would be amazing to show how bad it is. My mobile catches only the trembling but not the thumping:-(
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I personally would spend as little time as possible in that flat in case the ceiling and the floor above comes down. The person who lives in the upstairs flat needs to spend as little time as possible as well.

You need a survey. Does your local council have anyone who looks at dangerous buildings?
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2017 at 2:14PM
    Options
    Shaje wrote: »
    Hi, bought a new build flat 3yrs ago from Barrats but cannot live here due to thumping and rattling of my whole ceiling when people in flat above are walking.
    Their floor sinks in and rattles too. It's awful when washing machine is on. They say it's heavy footed neighbours which is not true as it's a light small lady.
    They've seen it, raised their eyebrows and left. I've had to threaten to go to the media and now a director has agreed to investigate after 3yrs.if they resolve can I Claim compensation as this has been hell for us.we go out for respite. It's caused so much ill health due to the stress and constant inability to rest at home. What can I do and where to go? Thanks in advance

Can you elaborate on the upstairs floor sinking in please? That sounds very dangerous. What have Barratts said to the lady about this?

I'm surprised you haven't sought an independent survey in all this time. I would do that *today*, arranging a time when the neighbour will also be home. It will be money well spent.

Also, what have NHBC/ Zurich/ whoever your warranty is with said?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure