edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
1.6K replies 157.4K views

Replies

• edited 7 April 2018 at 3:29PM
    Z0rba-cheeksZ0rba-cheeks Forumite
    37 posts
    edited 7 April 2018 at 3:29PM
    I should have addressed that to Griffb!

I posted it because when I joined PS I couldn't make sense of the Powerpacks Purchased report as nowhere did it mention the subtle difference between Back and Grey print on the report.
  • TafrockTafrock Forumite
    630 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Post has now been left on powershops Facebook page asking for an explanation how this new system works. They should reply to that.
    The powershop rep on this board left with the ark I think as they've not been heard from in a long while
  • SystemSystem
    177.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean exit fee at alternative suppliers, not powershop. Otherwise I'd move, but there's no point me moving from Powershop now, knowing there will be an exit fee to pay to the new supplier in a few months time when I move house (unless they agree to transfer the supply etc etc, but too much potential for complication then!).

There are no exit fees to pay if you move out of a property, and you cannot transfer a supply to a new property. Your existing supplier may permit you to take out a contract with them on your present tariff terms at the new property but this has to be actioned via a switch from the Deemed Supplier to your new property back to your old supplier. You pay the Deemed Supplier for all energy used until the transfer goes through in 17 to 35 days from application.
  • griffbgriffb Forumite
    138 posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    NOTE: The report is in chronological sequence, with the earliest Powerpack purchased on the last page of the report, however Powerpacks are not used in the sequence you bought them.
    Those with the greatest discount are used first!

OK I have downloaded the whole table into a spreadsheet for easy re-ordering, and I find that by the end of April I will have used up all my >20% powerpacks. Everything left will be at 18.02% or lower.

So I think another quick review in a week or so and I will probably be off to Utility Point as long as there are not too many adverse comments about them.
  • TafrockTafrock Forumite
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    If I don't get satisfactory answers from powershop I may well be joining you griffb
  • PennineAcutePennineAcute Forumite
    608 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Well, from the UP feed back thread, although only a few of us, UP have a good feedback.

I am with them and at the moment, they are first class.
    griffb wrote: »
    OK I have downloaded the whole table into a spreadsheet for easy re-ordering, and I find that by the end of April I will have used up all my >20% powerpacks. Everything left will be at 18.02% or lower.

So I think another quick review in a week or so and I will probably be off to Utility Point as long as there are not too many adverse comments about them.
  • I asked PS why they had introduced these 3 new tariffs and whey they have not advised existing customers of the changes.

Here is their answer:
    Thanks for your message and sorry for any confusion surrounding the new Powershop offerings!

'Powershop Pro' is just how we've re-branded our Shopper experience for customers wanting to join us and use Powerpacks to make great savings.

As we have received a lot of feedback from customers who do not wish to engage in the Powershop model of purchasing discounted energy regularly to achieve the lowest rates, we have launched a second product names 'Powershop Lite' for customers wanting a slightly more traditional monthly bill.
    This essentially just means they receive a bill each month with a set unit rate but do not have the ability to purchase Powerpacks.

Under these new products, Powershop's 'Top Shopper' rate is just the unit rate that can be achieved by buying all discounted Powerpacks; similar to the 'Easy Saver' rate as most existing customers will know it.

Over the next year we’ll roll out the new structure to existing customers slowly and with lots of communication as we do. We’re going to move slowly and welcome as much feedback as possible along the way. We’re ironing out the specifics, but you’ll still be able to get some of the best prices around by buying Powerpacks.

Our most active customers are achieving significantly lower than the “Easy Saver Promise”; when your promise expires, as long as you keep buying Powerpacks, you won’t notice much of a change.
    As we roll-out our new tariff structure we’ll keep you updated. We’re still working on the specifics of the pricing but our goal is to keep our “Top Shopper” price very competitive in the market.

Hope this information is helpful and am happy to answer any further questions!

So, be prepared for "our new tariff structure"...... as the Powershop Pro and Powershop Lite are not described as "new tariffs", just new products.....

Now I'm getting confused..... surely any new "Product" with a different kWh and Daily Standing Charge is a new "Tariff"?
  • edited 8 April 2018 at 1:16PM
    TafrockTafrock Forumite
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 8 April 2018 at 1:16PM
    Powershop lite means just that. They will become light in the pocket. It has to be one of the most extortionate electricity rates out there.
    I understand the need for such a rate due to reading feedback from customers who didn't realise they had to buy powerpacks. Why they chose powershop in first place if they want a traditional regular monthly rate of payment is beyond me

But to charge such a ridiculous rate for it is crazy. All that will happen. Is more disgruntled and very poor 'lite' customers

I cannot emphasise enough to anyone considering going the lite route

DO NOT ENTER A POWERSHOP CONTRACT USING THE POWERSHOP LITE OPTION

Now I have to decide do I wait until my 12 months anniversary to jump ship to utility point or do I go now

Under current pricing model which ive been on for 10 months powershop is ever so slightly cheaper

Whether it stays that way depends on the frequency and level of discounts of future powerpacks

All this confusion is such a shame as I've been really happy with powershop up until now. For the last 3 months I've virtually enjoyed a 'break' from paying anything towards my electricity bill as I've built such a large credit up I've let that be eaten into in preference to buying poor value powerpacks

If the value and quantity of powerpacks reverts back to last years model (from around October onwards) powershop may still be a viable option for me. But now this new pricing model has been announced (or should I say stumbled upon by accident) its yet another variable to add to the equation

Should I stay or should I go??

Only I can decide that I guess
  • edited 8 April 2018 at 1:43PM
    TafrockTafrock Forumite
    630 posts
    ✭✭
    edited 8 April 2018 at 1:43PM
    I've just realised powershop have sent rather a lengthy answer to my question I posted on Facebook.

It's there on powershops Facebook page for all to see

But in case anyone can't see it I'm posting it here too

Here goes

Thoughts please
    Here's the post including my questions in all its glory
    First here's the questions I asked

I joined Powershop in June 2017. I've been very happy with the service and price I've paid for my electricity with yourselves.

But yesterday I went on your website. And it's all changing!!! And you've confused me

I understand what powershop lite is though why anyone would opt for that I have no idea as its ludicrously expensive. So I'll dismiss that

What Concerns me is the restyling to powershop pro

Changing standard to baseline but more importantly changing the standing charge price to 36.162 pence on your standard (sorry baseline) prices.

How is that going to work. 3 different standing charges but one tariff??

36.162 pence is far higher than 16.6p I pay now

Yet your top shopper (replacement for shop for powerpacks or something like that) has a standing charge of 16.601 p.

Confused??? You're not the only one.
    What will My rates be once my easy saver promise expires

Please explain how three standing charges works

POWERSHOPs reply follows

Hi Taf Rock,

Good to hear from you as always, we appreciate you asking the good questions.

We'll try to answer your questions in turn, beginning with the changes we've made and why they've been implemented:

Standard Variable to Baseline Annual Fixed:
    What are we doing?

We are moving to an insurance type model where there is an annual renewal specific to each customer.

Currently, as you know, all our prices are based on a single standard variable tariff; Powerpacks discount off this rate. As with every other energy company, this standard variable would need to be adjusted up and down as industry costs change. We are no longer taking on customers on a standard variable, instead we're taking customers on to a 1 year fixed "Baseline" on which their Powerpacks will be based when they sign up.

Why are we doing it?

We realised that if/when our standard rate changed, customers who'd just recently signed up with a "First Year Promise" might be very confused. "If I'm on a promise how did prices just change?" We wanted to make it less likely that someone who just joined on a Promise would receive notifications about tariff rate changes that may cause confusion.

Different standing charges on Baseline, First Year Promise and Top shopper
    What are we doing?

Standing charges are different from the "Baseline" versus the "First Year Promise" versus the "Top Shopper"

Again, we'll begin by defining what each of these mean:
    Baseline: The rate you will be charged at if you don't buy any Powerpacks.
    First Year Promise: The rate we've promised that you'll beat over the year by buying Powerpacks. We check at the end of each billing cycle how you are doing versus this rate and help make up the difference with Powerpacks or credit.
    Top Shopper: The best you can do by covering your bill using Powerpacks.
    The balances you see in Powershop contain both your unit rate and standing charge. Powerpacks already apply to both your standing charge and your unit rate so if you cover your whole bill you're already discounting your standing charge. Until now, we haven't reflected this in our Tariff Information Labels but now we shall be.

Why are we doing it?
    Firstly, to reflect reality; as mentioned above, the Powerpacks you're already buying apply to your unit rate too if you're covering your whole bill. The second reason for this is regulatory; we share a supply licence with npower and need to share tariff information back to their billing system from our app. We don't have the capability to do that yet and therefore we are restricted in the daily charges we can offer at the moment.

Slow roll out of new structure to existing customers:
    For the moment, we're not doing anything - over the next year we'll roll out the new structure slowly and with lots of communication as we do. Were going to move slowly and welcome as much feedback as possible along the way. We're ironing out the specifics, but you'll still be able to get some of the best prices around by buying Powerpacks.
    Our most active customers are achieving significantly lower than the "Easy Saver Promise" when your promise expires, as long as you keep buying Powerpacks, you won't notice much of a change. As we roll-out our new tariff structure we'll keep you updated. We're still working on the specifics of the pricing but our goal is to keep our "Top Shopper" price very competitive in the market.
    Hope this information helps? Thanks for the comments and questions as always and we'll be happy to answer any further queries you may have about changes to the Powershop experience!
    Powershop Crew
  • Tafrock,
    In all of that there are several points to remember:
    1. You are currently on a variable rate and PS state that you will be offered a fixed rate at the end of your 12 months.
    2. The cost of Electricity ought to come down during the summer, compared to the winter.
    3. Your consumption should be lower in the summer compared to the winter.
    4. Once the "no of Weeks" advance credit gives a date after the end of your 12 month period, then you stop purchasing any more, unless it is > 25%.

You will then be in the best position to make the right decision when they make the "fixed offer" to you before the anniversary of you joining.

As you mentioned, you have a "no exit penalty" alternative supplier, so you could actually easily switch between suppliers and back at no cost, except building up that advance credit.