Buyer Has Paid Through Paypal but no payment received

Options

Comments

• Daz2009
    Daz2009 Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    This could be one of two things, firstly and more likely you have entered your email address incorrectly, so payments have gone to a non existent account. You can check this by doing a dummy relist on one of the items, then scroll down (before you list) and you can check your email address. If it's wrong then all you can do is apologise profusely to buyer, ask them to recall their payment and try and persuade them to pay you direct. They might think you are trying to scam them and refuse to repay, but it is always worth a try.

Alternatively it is an echeque or a held payment (under the 21 day holding) but if this is the case your PayPal account will show the payments but as uncleared or held. You would also have emails from PayPal telling you that you have received funds.

Sorry to jump on this thread but I've had the same problem and I now realise I was using an old email address for paypal receipts....thanks for the info Soolin....yet my new email address for payments.
    Why doesn't it automatically use the new address for both ?
    Anyway I've added the old address to my Paypal account but there's no sign of the transaction or payment :(

What now ?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Daz2009 wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on this thread but I've had the same problem and I now realise I was using an old email address for paypal receipts....thanks for the info Soolin....yet my new email address for payments.
    Anyway I've added the old address to my Paypal account but there's no sign of the transaction or payment :(

What now ?

Are you saying you've had a payment receipt to email1 and no payment on email1?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

What now ?

It might not be instant, but it shouldn't take long to show up. Firstly double check that the email is correct, just in case there is a single digit error you haven't noticed when you added the email to your paypal ID. If all is well there, check your junk email folders to see if you have missed a verification email to confirm you want the new address added.

If all that fails, phone paypal and ask, they are surprisingly helpful by phone.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Daz2009
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    It might not be instant, but it shouldn't take long to show up. Firstly double check that the email is correct, just in case there is a single digit error you haven't noticed when you added the email to your paypal ID. If all is well there, check your junk email folders to see if you have missed a verification email to confirm you want the new address added.

If all that fails, phone paypal and ask, they are surprisingly helpful by phone.

Are you psychic lol.
    That's exactly what's happened,the email address was wrong by 1 digit and unfortunately it's an active Paypal account so someone else has my money.
    I phoned Paypal and they suggest I ask the buyer to ask for a refund and then repay me,which is what I've done.
    Thank the lord it was only a £10 transaction lol

Thanks for your help:beer:
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Are you psychic lol.
    That's exactly what's happened,the email address was wrong by 1 digit and unfortunately it's an active Paypal account so someone else has my money.
    I phoned Paypal and they suggest I ask the buyer to ask for a refund and then repay me,which is what I've done.
    Thank the lord it was only a £10 transaction lol

Thanks for your help:beer:

Glad you got to the bottom of it.

The buyer can ask the recipient for a refund but if it's not forthcoming they will have to file an INR and reclaim their funds which can take some time.

Just a head's up that it may take a little while to sort out. :(
  • Daz2009
    Options
    Although Paypal have told me the email address was different by 1 digit, I've double checked by making a dummy listing and it is the correct (albeit old) address that shows up.
    Very strange,but I'll definitely be more careful in the future
  • Daz2009
    Options
    Well the buyer just got back to me,he can't get a refund and he rang Paypal who couldn't/wouldn't help even though when I spoke to them they said they'd put a note on the buyers account and the email addresses involved.Clearly they didn't.
    It's not worth pursuing for the amount involved.Lesson learned though.
  • theonlywayisup
    Options
    Well the buyer just got back to me,he can't get a refund and he rang Paypal who couldn't/wouldn't help even though when I spoke to them they said they'd put a note on the buyers account and the email addresses involved.Clearly they didn't.
    It's not worth pursuing for the amount involved.Lesson learned though.

Did you read my post above?

The buyer can get a refund, if not as a refund from the recipient but a refund via INR.

This will take time and it is only understandable if they don't want to buy from you again.

When you say it's "not worth pursuing the amount involved" what do you mean? Have you lost any money?
  • Daz2009
    Options
    He phoned Paypal mate and they were no help,I don't think he wants to do anything more,can't blame him,it's not his problem after all.
    It's cost me £12 all told.
    I have actually sent PayPal a message,I'm not expecting anything to come of it
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,250 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    He phoned Paypal mate and they were no help,I don't think he wants to do anything more,can't blame him,it's not his problem after all.
    It's cost me £12 all told.
    I have actually sent PayPal a message,I'm not expecting anything to come of it

It is the buyers problem though if he wants his money back as he'll need to do an INR.

Or do you mean you are just sending the item anyway without being paid, so buyer gets both the item and their money back?

Incidentally, there is nothing that paypal can do anymore, they have probably responded once explaining that money has been claimed and buyer needs to reclaim it via any means available- you are not party to that conversation and it seems that buyer either doesn't understand or doesn't wish to tell you what they said. . I'm not sure what you are expecting from paypal now since you have neither sent the money nor received it and are not involved in the transaction at all.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure