Options

Comments

• Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello All,

Today I have;

- Revisited budget for the rest of the month.
    - Done top up shop, we have ended up out sync with bank holidays and going way, but got enough to the end of the week for work lunches and dinners.
    - Been out to a local attraction doing a £1 day, fun and cheap too.
    -Returned ebay hat, purchased for a wedding but it was very poor quality.
    -Cleaned the house, ready for the week ahead.
  • YORKSHIRELASS
    YORKSHIRELASS Posts: 6,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi all

Feeling a bit down. You know how the constant struggle of trying to just never spend money gets to you a bit? And I am not happy with my job situation. Its so hard juggling two jobs and I feel under constant pressure to work when I am at home to get the hours in.

But hey ho, this is how it is. Had a lovely day out with DH and DS. We spent £18 on food, parking and icecreams. See what I mean, I cant go out and enjoy myself without thinking about money all the time.

Just done a bit of household admin. Car insurance renewal quote was £350, ridiculous figure, got the same cover for £260. Need to finish the spreadsheets, think we are fairly on track. Heating on a bit, its really chilly.

Need to mealplan and pack my bag for a full day at the paid stuff tomorrow. Might do the gym first thing.
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Evening everyone.
    Well the kitchen ended up trashed again piled up with dirty crockery as when I went to put the dishwasher on last night I found that I had run out of dishwasher tablets.
    So frustratingly once I had dropped DD at work I had to go shopping which I didn't really want to do, but picked bits up from the rest of the week. Determined not to go into a supermarket until the end of the week now u less absolutely needed.
    Planned to give the kitchen floor another clean today and attack the ironing pile, but had a lovely day instead catching up on episodes of casualty and eating easter eggs.
    Back to normal tomorrow, 2 meetings and a hospital appointment, but might cancel hospital appointment as I think I'm coming down with a cold which means the hospital would prefer that I don't go.
    Need to update my April challenge spends, within budget but need to log receipts.
    I know what you mean YL sometimes you just want to go out or have a spend without having to think budgets all the time. Managed to do this after Christmas. Deliberately kept my vouchers back till after Christmas, was so nice getting bits in the Boots sale and not having to add up,as I went along, just knowing I had the vouchers. Would be lovely to be able to do that all of the time
    Have a good evening everyone xx
    Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    *Hugs* to YorkshireLass and everyone else that's feeling a bit glum at the moment.

I got up because I was needed to help look for something and somewhere along the way my headache passed.

I cooked some SFC steaks and put them in slices of bread for lunch, it was fairly disgusting (forgot to turn them so the bottom was soggy) and the fox got most of mine but food is food I suppose and nobody else complained.

While I was still feeling okay I put on a slow cooker curry for tonight using YS turkey strips and YS med veg.

I went into town today to buy hair/stubble clippers for my son for his interview on Wednesday and edged up spending an absolute fortune because I also bought:

3 baskets for organising bathroom stuff (to be fair I have been thinking about these for weeks.)
    1 dress
    Half price box of ranunculus
    Small acer for my mum as she kept admiring mine
    2 courgette plants
    Plant ties (Velcro!)
    Electric screwdriver and various screws

I got the first panel of trellis kind of up but the screws I bought are too long so are sticking out a bit so I need to get shorter ones in case the cats catch themselves on them. It was all a bit trial and error, it took three different attempts to get the right size drill bit and then the heads of the wood screws don't match any of the heads on the new super duper electric screwdriver but the masonry ones do, thank heavens!

The YS cabinet was full to bursting but with mostly sandwiches but there was a misunderstanding when the girl doing the reductions said 'do you want to take what you want or shall I carry on reducing' (one of them insists on reducing everything before you can even start taking stuff while others let you fill your basket and then reduce each persons basket in turn.) Three of us took that to mean she would reduce from our baskets so took what we wanted and stood waiting but it turned out she meant 'do you want to take it before I reduce it?' And refused to reduce anything that had already been taken out. Luckily she'd already reduced the raspberries before we took them and I just returned the sandwiches I'd taken and took different ones that had been reduced instead.

I've decided to only work a half day tomorrow if I can get a vet appointment for my cat in the morning, I feel bad leaving it until next Saturday in case it's anything serious :( She doesn't flinch if it touch the lump when I stroke her but she seems to be avoiding going through the cat flap (where it might be catching as she's not a skinny cat to start off with.)

Have a lovely evening all, not looking forward to work tomorrow! Still, only a four day week :)
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

Sendings hugs YL, it's hard when it feels like a constant battle. Please don't beat yourself up for enjoying yourself and spending less than £20. You need time with your family when you work so long and hard the rest if the time.

Early start here, wake up call from small at 2.30 and I'm still awake :eek: I'm going to try and get an hour in a minute before work. Yesterday was a good day. Weather held so did 4 hours gardening :eek: and cleared all my borders at the back and dug them over :D the birds particularly enjoyed my efforts and came to fill up on freshly dug bugs. One robin kept coming back and was getting so close, it was wonderful. :A

Smalls 'helped' :p we played 'find the root' as I had loads of weeds that are really stringy in one part and the roots needed filtering from the soil :D

I also planed 6 potatoes after finally drilling holes in the recycled tubs used 2 part bags of compost and planted 2 raspberry bushes. Watered all the seedlings.

My courgettes haven't germinated yet either determined and I must be on about day 8 :(

Small list for today as it's going to be long I feel:
    Check banking, surveys and FPL. 2 surveys done already
    Left over chilli to work, plus healthy snacks
    Last of OOD yogurt for breakfast
    Hot drink for commute
    MUST do some labelling tonight :eek:
    Meals from stores/ planner
    Washing done overnight out to dry

Right off for 40 winks if I can, then :coffee:
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2017 at 7:17AM
    Options
    Morning perps you were up early! Hope you managed to get some winks! I was lucky and managed to sleep until about 6.15 when madam came and got into bed for cuddles and was being super sweet and funny :A

I don't think the courgette seeds are going to germinate :( I investigated the soil and nothing :( I wonder if it is a bit too cold for these varieties? Yellow and crookneck. I'll keep the pots on the windowsill but will sow again after we return from our holiday in a couple of weeks

Planning to go to the allotment for an hour shortly, will finish off digging over a bit, might do a little raking and need to measure up the netting and investigate the shed a little more as want to make a frame for cucumbers to grow up and think I might have some material in there I can use ;)

today I am taking madam into town to get her some tshirts and sandals for our holiday. while I am there am going to look in the £shop & wilkos for an extension lead so oh can mow the back garden. The builder is finishing our patio today :j

After town we will go swimming using membership :money:

load of washing in & line dry. Put away final basket of clothes - this has been a massive job for days!

need to check meal plan for oh & madam and get anything out of freezer needed

need to have a session sorting out spends over the last month at some point! Darn annoying I haven't keep up with keeping on top of this and know I have overspent :o

clothes and lunches ready for tomorrow

today we find out what school madam has been allocated :eek: just pray it's our 1st or 2nd choice...

Ok that'll do better get my skates on or I won't be able to go!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

Purps - thanks for the kick off :A

Yorkshire - Sounds like a good day! You definitely need to have some guilt-free spends factored in. If you have a budget and you stick to it then you have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. Also, if you overspend then you can readjust your budget to account for it and again you have absolutely nothing to feel guilty about. :) I feel like you about job#2 :( I've decided I'm going to give it up at the end of May (under the guise of 'I'm taking off the whole summer June - Aug and I'll return in September afresh...'). I feel like I will let a few people down but it's just not worth the stress and strain (it's not really bringing in any money either these days :() so I'm going to can it.

Ally - great work on the downstairs!! I need some of your motivation!!

DNMS - fingers crossed for madam - still seems so young for her to be thinking about school, doesn't it?!

So...I'm WFH today. Should mean I will get a few extra bits and pieces done. Can't really get through the washing as the TD is behind loads of kitchen stuff so kinda restricted to just 1 or 2 loads as then I run out of space for drying inside... :think:

Me WFH also saves OH about over an hour from his evening as he doesn't need to leave as early and then come out to pick me up either. Good all round really. :)

Oh, meant to tell you.... I got a great deal in Ts the other day - basically managed to use a £10 MOC when I technically shouldn't have been able to. OH said 'now don't go telling everyone on the forums about that - T's will find out about it and change the Ts and Cs - you'll be sorry about it when you can't do it again'. :rotfl: So he DOES know I tell you guys about my money-saving missions! :rotfl:

Need to check banking and sort YNAB

Not really sure what else today will bring...

Just doing kitchen stuff again tonight... Need to have a think about tiles/splashbacks...
  • Twins
    Twins Posts: 346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Back to school for the Twins today - thank Goodness! They've just left... breathe a sigh of relief. At least I get some temporary peace until 3:30pm :)

YorkshireLass, sorry to hear that your feeling a bit blue :( It is definitely hard juggling everything and Finances are the main reason why people get so down. I think that's why we're all here.... to help find likeminded people and get us through it.
    I just try to think of 3 things daily that I am grateful for which helps balance the mood e.g., the house that I live in (even though it's small...it's mine :)), food on the table, laughter in the house (when Twins are not fighting), the family in good health, the car that I drive (even if it is 15 years old), that I have a job where I'm paid. etc etc... you get what I mean. It helps put things back into perspective a little bit and helps you tackle the blues a little better.

So today is back to work day and I'm wfh so my list consist of:

- Checking banking (see if my refund from John Lewis has gone through)
    - Check surveys
    - Try and squeeze in a workout
    - Need to pop to Lidl to pick up some Fishcakes for dinner and some carrots. Want to keep spend down this week
    - Put on 1 wash of laundry and dry outside
    - Lunch from cupboards

Think that's about it. Have a wonderful day everyone!
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning all
    Yorkshire - sorry you're feeling a bit blue. I think that some days are just like that. I've literally just posted on my diary that I'm stumped as to how I earn so much but still have to watch every single penny. Hope that you're feeling a bit better today.
    I've had another rough night. Think it's the stress of not doing my school work so I'm going to make that my top priority for today. Even though I'd far rather be crocheting.
    Have had to rejig the budget to cover my minor overspend in Scotland so we'll have a frugal few days ahead as well.
    Have a good day all :coffee:
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 April 2017 at 8:27PM
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Managed to get lots done yesterday, so hoping for similar success today!

Today's plans:
    Used up leftovers for breakfast Done
    Clean kitchen Done
    Dog walks x 2 (he is still looking very curly from his bath yesterday :)) Done
    Uncover fruit trees which I covered with fleece yesterday to guard against forecast frost. Will probably need to put this back on later, but the pollinating insects will need to get at the flowers during the day. Done
    Find a box and pack an ebay item sold late last night Done
    Post this, along with 3 other items that sold over the weekend

Posted the original 3, packed, but not posted the other item. It needed cleaning and as it is a vintage enamel item, I didnt want to pack it until bone dry. I will post it tomorrow
    Visit sales unit and change stock Done
    Strip spare bed and wash linen, peg out on line to dry Not done :o
    Hoover upstairs (first floor, anyway!) Not done this either :o
    Check for surveys Did a few for onepoll
    Log onto HMRC web site as apparently there is a message for me - doubt if it is something I want to hear, but better find out what they want! This is a faff with codes sent to phones etc :(Done, nothing important / or that I didn't know
    Make a cake as we have run out of treats - I have all the ingredients in, so no additional cost :)Done
    Continue with shopping list, though I don't intend to go today :cool: Done
    Rest of smoked fish and rice thing I made yesterday for dinner, with freshly cooked veg Done
    Listed an item on ebay

Can't think of anything else atm, so will update later. I do find these lists very motivating, as they kind of hold me accountable.... anyone else feel like that?

DD2 and little GD came round this afternoon, so I didn't get all done that I intended to. Must remember to include those on tomorrow's list!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure