Disabled and no space to park

Options
rattle
rattle Posts: 56 Forumite
Hi,
When I moved into my house the parking was not too bad I could normally find a space outside my house.In the last three years it has become a real pain as peoples children get older and have started to drive.There is enough space outside to park two cars but my house is like a magnet all the neighbours visitors and delivery drivers etc park there.

My neighbours know I am disabled yet they will often park outside leaving me with nowhere near my house to park.I applied for a disabled bay but was refused.
I was thinking of having a polite sign made and getting it fixed to my garden gate something like "Please leave this space clear for disabled resident" or "This space is needed 24 hours a day for disabled resident.

I don't want to upset my neighbours but my mobility is limited and getting worse and I need to address this issue.I am also not sure on the legality of fixing a sign on my gate with that type of wording am I allowed to or not? I am a housing association tenant.Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Tiddlywinks
    Tiddlywinks Posts: 5,777 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You don't own or rent the space that you want to park in so of course it will be a 'free for all'.

You say you've applied for a marked disabled bay and have been refused - but remember that even if a bay had been marked out, it would not have been your own personal space... any other blue badge user could use it too.

As for fixing a sign - if your neighbours already know your mobility is limited and still park there then it's unlikely they'll change behaviour just because you put up a sign.

Your only realistic hope is to move to somewhere with a driveway parking space.
    :hello:
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Appeal the refusal for blue badge.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You don't own or rent the space that you want to park in so of course it will be a 'free for all'.

You say you've applied for a marked disabled bay and have been refused - but remember that even if a bay had been marked out, it would not have been your own personal space... any other [STRIKE]blue badge user [/STRIKE] driver could use it too.

As for fixing a sign - if your neighbours already know your mobility is limited and still park there then it's unlikely they'll change behaviour just because you put up a sign.

It's only likely to be an advisory bay outside a residential address.
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Alter_ego wrote: »
    Appeal the refusal for blue badge.

It's a parking space that's been refused not a blue badge.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Perhaps the Housing Association will let you have your garden converted into a driveway and have a dropped kerb installed. Maybe worth asking and you never know there might even be some funding available to help.
  • rattle
    edited 16 April 2017 at 4:09PM
    Options

You say you've applied for a marked disabled bay and have been refused - but remember that even if a bay had been marked out, it would not have been your own personal space... any other blue badge user could use it too.

Thanks for the reply
    I cannot move even if I wanted to which I don't my home has multiple adaptions and I am liable for the costs if I move.A sign might make their visitors think twice.The neighbours and their children park there without thinking a sign might just make them think for a moment it's worth a try.
  • rattle
    Options
    It's only likely to be an advisory bay outside a residential address.

Yes at first it would be but if problems persist it could be made enforceable that's what I was advised when I applied.
  • rattle
    Options
    Johno100 wrote: »
    Perhaps the Housing Association will let you have your garden converted into a driveway and have a dropped kerb installed. Maybe worth asking and you never know there might even be some funding available to help.

Unfortunately the front garden is very sloped it's too steep for a driveway.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    If the
    rattle wrote: »
    home has multiple adaptions

and
    my mobility is limited and getting worse

Then I would suggest that you re-apply to the Council for the disabled bay with a re-assessment of need. As others have said, it wouldn't be yours but there is more of a chance of it remaining free; we've only had somebody else park in our disabled bay once in two years.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes at first it would be but if problems persist it could be made enforceable that's what I was advised when I applied.

It could be but then there maybe reasons why it would never be.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure