Paying cheques into account

Options

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,626 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    I didn't know you could pay in cheques at Co-op stores. Is that just for Co-op Bank?

At Co-op supermarkets? They never mentioned that when I banked with them and they don't mention it on their website.
    How do I pay money into my account?

You can pay money into your account by:

visiting your local branch

visiting your local Post Office - for cash deposits simply hand over your cash/debit card to a member of staff. For cheques you'll need a paying in slip, post office envelope (see below) and the cheque you would like to deposit

sending a cheque via the post*

electronically by setting up a standing order, or direct transfer from one bank account to another. Please check your individual account for more information

Please note, businesses paying via post office must be registered to use this facility and use brown envelopes for cheque deposits. Non Business customers must use the white envelopes.

To request any stationery please contact us.
    The address to send your cheque to is:
    The Co-operative Bank
    Blaise Pascal House
    100 Pavilion Drive
    Brackmills
    Northampton
    NN4 7AR

http://ask.co-operativebank.co.uk/system/templates/selfservice/coop/#!portal/401100000001000/article/PROD-2648/How-do-I-pay-money-into-my-account?fromQuery=cheque
    ====
  • EarthBoy
    EarthBoy Posts: 3,041 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some of the larger Co-op department stores used to have a Co-op Bank counter in them, basically a mini Co-op Branch. The one in Sheffield did, but that was many years ago. Apparently, they've tried the concept of in-store branches again in more recent years:
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/oct/14/co-operative-bank-in-store-branch

I doubt whether Co-op stores without an in-store branch would let you pay cheques in.
  • sausage_time
    sausage_time Posts: 756 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    gt94sss2 wrote: »
    ...I think First Direct are (were?) one of the very few who would provide pre-paid envelopes for their customers to post cheques to them.

Last batch of envelopes I received from FD had just the address printed but no postage. Miserable gits. I brave the queues at my post office when I need to pay in a cheque now.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Credit Cards and Budgeting & Bank Accounts boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • helenthegardener
    helenthegardener Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 20 April 2017 at 10:02PM
    Options
    I wanted to know if I could pay cheques in to a Sainsbury's or Co-op bank account at there shops as there is one near to me.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    their shops

Re Co-op see post #22 above.

Re Sainsbury's I don't think that they offer current accounts. For savings they suggest to post cheques - 'ask a question' at the top of https://www.sainsburysbank.co.uk/
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I personally never pay postage to a business just add free post into the address and the letter has alwats made its way there lol
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 April 2017 at 3:22PM
    Options
    stclair wrote: »
    I personally never pay postage to a business just add free post into the address and the letter has alwats made its way there lol
    You do realise that simply writing 'freepost' into the address doesn't mean it gets delivered free? If they don't have a legitimate freepost arrangement with Royal Mail then the recipient still needs to pay the relevant postage plus the associated admin charge - this may have worked for you with some businesses but it's not really a viable generic recommendation, especially for sending cheques.

Edit: should have added that the recipient can choose whether or not to accept unpaid mail, so relying on them doing so isn't wise....
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2017 at 6:03PM
    Options
    It's been working fine for me for years ��

I used to work in a post room and umpteen letters would cone without enough postage or non at all. Royal also would invoice the company on a regular basis.

Just the same as when customers send SAE the company would very rarly use them.

Obviously it's down to the individual person if they want to do it not. Most companies have a free post address and maybe the OP should ask Lloyds if they have one.

I'm not recommending anyone should do I'm just telling you my own personal experience.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    stclair wrote: »

So basically your view is you shouldn't pay for services you use? (lol?)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    I wanted to know if I could pay cheques in to a Sainsbury's or Co-op bank account at there shops as there is one near to me.

Open up an account with either of them and transfer the money once cleared to an account of your choice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure