Help please re SIM only deals

Options

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Options
    I'd go for either:

Cheapness/economising = Three Sim Only
    Quality of network = Vodafone

I tried a Vodafone SIM out of curiosity and found the coverage locally worse than Three, which surprised me.

Also, unless they have recently changed, Vodafone were incapable of offering any spending cap (sending a text isn't a cap on spending). Three have and "all or nothing" cap the user can turn on/off via their My3 app.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vodafone don't have great coverage, poor reputation with billing.

The OP is on EE and assuming they are happy with the coverage should remain with that network for the least trouble.

There are plenty of networks which use EE's service.

Virgin, plusnet, vectone, asda
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    EE will negotiate. I've been on sim-only for a long time and buy my phones outright sim-free. There are no drawbacks I can see and it works out cheaper than a contract phone. I phone once a year when the 12 months is almost up and get a deal which is less than the advertised price.

EE network is much faster with better coverage than Vodafone where I use it, so I would be loathe to leave them.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I transfered to EE from T mobile, I got a sim only unlimited text and calls with 2 GB, £10.
  • GT60
    GT60 Posts: 2,324 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    the phones from CPW and Giff gaff may state they are locked to the first sim that is used but I have had three and all are not locked to EE and Giffgaff/O2

Nokia £10 throw away purchased a month ago whilst mine went for repair , Samsung s5 Mini 2 years ago from CPW and a Samsung J3 from GG last month also my other sons Oneplus 3t works on all networks
    Hope this helps
    Spending my time reading how to fix PC's,instead of looking at Facebook.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GT60 wrote: »
    the phones from CPW and Giff gaff may state they are locked to the first sim that is used but I have had three and all are not locked to EE and Giffgaff/O2

CPW = locks to first sim (iPhone), most other phones unlocked

Giffgaff = all phones unlocked (including iPhone)
    ====
  • littlewren
    littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GT60 wrote: »
    Phone EE and ask them for the unlock code for your phone
    This should be Free now as you have have your phone for 4 years and then you can go with what ever network you like such as giff gaff
    If you got your phone from carphonewarehouse the phone will be unlocked anyway as all their phones come unlocked

No sorry, I haven't had the same phone for 4 years, I changed last time (nearly 2 years ago) but have been with EE for nearly 4 years.

I got the phone from EE's website. :)
    Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!
  • littlewren
    Options
    Three have a really good deal at the moment:

4GB data (4G)
    Unlimited minutes
    Unlimited texts

£9 !!!!!!!!!

The link: http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones

Negative for Three is lack of 4G when roaming in their 'Feel At Home' destinations. Also you're tied in for 12 months if not on a 30 day contract.

Vodafone however are getting better:

Global roaming free of charge on all plans (take whole allowance to Europe for free and on Vodafone 4G in every one of those countries - not some rubbish roaming partner network).

Call centres are coming back to the UK this year

On 12 month sim only you can upgrade to a handset contract any time after the first three months.

Flex upgrades- on a handset contact vodafone now let you pay off the device cost (much like o2 refresh) and upgrade whenever as long as handset cost itself is paid off.

I'd go for either:

Cheapness/economising = Three Sim Only
    Quality of network = Vodafone

Thank you, I'm not keen on going with 3, having heard so many bad things about them, I would rather stick with Virgin or EE if possible. And I was put off Vodafone after buying 2 dongles that gave a terrible connection.
  • littlewren
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    Vodafone don't have great coverage, poor reputation with billing.

The OP is on EE and assuming they are happy with the coverage should remain with that network for the least trouble.

There are plenty of networks which use EE's service.

Virgin, plusnet, vectone, asda

Yes I'm really pleased with the coverage and with EE overall (touch wood!) :)
  • littlewren
    Options
    Nebulous2 wrote: »
    EE will negotiate. I've been on sim-only for a long time and buy my phones outright sim-free. There are no drawbacks I can see and it works out cheaper than a contract phone. I phone once a year when the 12 months is almost up and get a deal which is less than the advertised price.

EE network is much faster with better coverage than Vodafone where I use it, so I would be loathe to leave them.

That's how I feel, they are pretty reliable aren't they.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure