Help please re SIM only deals

Options
littlewren
littlewren Posts: 1,988 Forumite
Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
edited 14 April 2017 at 5:06PM in Mobiles
I've been with EE on contract for my mobile for 4 years in a week's time and for financial reasons I need to change to a SIM only deal and keep my current phone.

I would like to either be with EE, Virgin Mobile or O2. Looking at EE's website just now, their 2GB SIM only deal is £16.19, yet the 2GB SIM deal with Virgin Mobile is £9. I haven't checked O2 yet as I believe they will be expensive. EE offers unlimited minutes but I don't need this.

Am I missing something? Why is Virgin Mobile's deal so much cheaper? I should say that I don't know anything about SIM only deals :eek:

Also, what are the negatives of having a SIM only monthly deal?

Could someone possibly help please?

TIA :)

As a P.S. I need to cancel my contract with EE but I can't ring them at the moment as I have bad laryngitis and therefore can't speak on the phone, which is a nuisance.
Money, money, money, must be funny, in the rich man's World!

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Go with Virgin mobile, for £9 it's not bad, if the EE is the best in your area then go for it.

As far as I know there are no negatives of a SIM only deal.

You could try the chat option or send your cancellation in writing.
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 April 2017 at 5:33PM
    Options
    SIM only are great.

EE are a main provider and charge more.

If your phone is locked it won't work with 02.

What I would do before you sign up, is ring EE and ask for your PAC (to be able to take your number with you) and tell them they are too expensive (and need to cut costs) and that virgin can do X for £x.

I'm sure they will offer you a good deal to stay.

P.S I've been with virgin sim only for 4 years.
  • daindian
    daindian Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ee r doing 16gb for 16 pounds for existing customers so no idea where you were looking!
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    littlewren wrote: »
    I've been with EE on contract for my mobile for 4 years in a week's time and for financial reasons I need to change to a SIM only deal and keep my current phone.

I would like to either be with EE, Virgin Mobile or O2. Looking at EE's website just now, their 2GB SIM only deal is £16.19, yet the 2GB SIM deal with Virgin Mobile is £9. I haven't checked O2 yet as I believe they will be expensive. EE offers unlimited minutes but I don't need this.

Ring up to get your PAC (when you can speak again) and tell them you intend moving to the Virgin deal unless they'll match it, they will either do so or offer something else, depending on your customer worth.

If they don't offer something you're happy with, end the call and wait for their outbound retentions to call you (usually within a week), they'll normally offer the best retention deal.
    littlewren wrote: »

Also, what are the negatives of having a SIM only monthly deal?

You don't get a new phone ;)
    ====
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    daindian wrote: »
    Ee r doing 16gb for 16 pounds for existing customers so no idea where you were looking!

Maybe you could actually help the OP out and link them to the deal you mention? Clearly the OP hasn't seen that deal so it would have actually made your post helpful instead of what it actually was.....

However, given they appear to be looking at 2GB deals, then 16GB would be overkill and a waste of money.
  • littlewren
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Go with Virgin mobile, for £9 it's not bad, if the EE is the best in your area then go for it.

As far as I know there are no negatives of a SIM only deal.

You could try the chat option or send your cancellation in writing.

Thank you for your reply. The EE price was just found by looking at their website, I don't know if I could get a better deal by phoning, but of course I can't at the moment. I didn't know that I could cancel in writing, so that's very helpful. :)
  • littlewren
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    SIM only are great.

EE are a main provider and charge more.

If your phone is locked it won't work with 02.

What I would do before you sign up, is ring EE and ask for your PAC (to be able to take your number with you) and tell them they are too expensive (and need to cut costs) and that virgin can do X for £x.

I'm sure they will offer you a good deal to stay.

P.S I've been with virgin sim only for 4 years.

Ah I see, I didn't know that was why they charged more, thank you.

The only trouble with ringing EE is that I've got to wait until this laryngitis goes. At the moment I sound like a cross between Darth Vader & a dirty old man when I try to speak! :rotfl:
  • littlewren
    Options
    daindian wrote: »

I've just found £16.89 for 12gb but not the one you mention, but that's way too much for me. Not that I would turn down 16gb but I might as well try and get a better deal for 2gb, which is ample as I use wifi most of the time on my phone.
  • littlewren
    Options
    d123 wrote: »
    Ring up to get your PAC (when you can speak again) and tell them you intend moving to the Virgin deal unless they'll match it, they will either do so or offer something else, depending on your customer worth.

If they don't offer something you're happy with, end the call and wait for their outbound retentions to call you (usually within a week), they'll normally offer the best retention deal.

You don't get a new phone ;)

I will definitely do that, thank you, once I can speak properly again lol

Yes, I was looking forward to getting a new phone but touch wood, this one's still working ok (hope I haven't jinxed it now lol) so I might as well get a SIM only deal if there are no negatives.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If the phone is working fine then get a sim only deal, whatever you do get whatever sim is suitable for you.

Yes writing to EE is an alternative if your not fit for talking on a phone.

Ask for your PAC code.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport