first choice & Thomsons airline flight seating

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    BUKI wrote: »
    As Zagles is saying, we hope somebody will be willing to give up their seat up :(
    Be smiley and polite at the check-in desk and as soon as you hand your documents over, ask if you can be sat together.

If that's not possible, be smiley and polite as you board the plane and explain to the cabin crew that your wife is a nervous flyer and ask if there is any chance of being sat together.

Good luck.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SandC wrote: »
    I've paid £20 each return Thomson short haul to Corfu in June for seat selection.

Was this for extra leg room seats?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    Was this for extra leg room seats?

No just seat selection.

In other news, I got a special fare price from Manchester to Phuket via Dubai with Emirates in Nov and if I want to preselect seats on that basis it's £40 each leg - so that would cost me an extra £160! As you've said, you get what you pay for and my reasonably priced early booked ticket is such because I've chosen to have no flexibility.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Eitherway, at the time he said there are only 2 seats but again not adjecent!
    I'm confused! If you were told on the phone that there were only 2 seats left, but not adjacent, that implies that everyone had already booked and these are the only two left, in which case, it doesn't matter when you book, these will be the two you'll get. Unless they've overbooked but we won't go there...

Or, as I explained in my email, they only have so many allocated seats for early payable booking and these were the only ones left, however, it will turn out that there are still many left available for those who didn't opt for early booking. In that case, you do want to hurry to book. Does this allow for on-line booking?
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If your flight is at 9.50am, then I think you are leaving it a bit late to be at the airport by 7am.

The gates will close about 30 minutes before take off, so around 9.20am. And people will start checking in around 3 hours before that because of the amount of time it takes to check in and get through security. So to be one of the first in line to check in, you'd need to be at the airport around 6.20am.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think 7am is late too if the OP isn't doing/hasn't done check-in today.
    I doubt they'd be first to check in.

Last time we flew Thomson (short haul), they had a single queue for all their flights, lots of check-in desks though.
    Can't remember if that was from LGW or MAN.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SandC wrote: »
    I've paid £20 each return Thomson short haul to Corfu in June for seat selection.

That is why we paid or extra leg room seats on our trip to Cyprus,Thompsons wanted £20 each for basic seat selection but for £60 more we got the better seats.I know that lots of people refuse to pay for seat selection but for a 5 hour flight my wife prefers to sit next to me rather than at opposite ends of the plane,our money-our choise.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • whatmichaelsays
    Options
    Bucki wrote: »
    Indeed, that is a nasty tactic that the airlines been using for a while now. W[/I]

I don't think it's fair to call it a nasty tactic. It's giving people the choice to guarantee seating together.

With many airline seats laid out in groups of three, and many people travelling as a couple or family, it invariably means that some will be split across an aisle - that's just basic division, rather than anything particularly nefarious.

If I don't want to be split from the rest of my party, I have the choice to ensure that doesn't happen.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    With many airline seats laid out in groups of three, and many people travelling as a couple or family, it invariably means that some will be split across an aisle - that's just basic division, rather than anything particularly nefarious

But that is a problem of the airlines' making. When the 777 came out, the seating was 2-5-2. I thought that worked very well, as it allowed couples and larger groups to sit together. The 3-3-3 layout splits up a lot of couples.

But even worse, most airlines now have 3-4-3 on planes designed for 2-5-2.
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The A380 double decker whale jet is likely to go 3-5-3 on the main lower deck.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure