Iresa Closes Door to New Customers

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,095 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It is a shame when a company closes but after my experience with the company I do not feel they have operated at all. I have had months of difficulty with them. You telephone and find you are something like 45 in the queue. Emails go unanswered but interestingly removed from your support page or listed as 'resolved'.

I did find a way to get their attention, after 5 threats that I will sue I did. I issued a money claim in the County Court for my refund, now they won't shut up!

My account with them ended, finally, in March. Up until then they refused to release the account to our preferred supplier. Threats of complaints went unanswered and the 'support' page shows all my issues as 'resolved'. I threatened to complaint, no response. Finally I complained and nothing happened so I now have the Ombudsman on board.

The refund is in the County Court and their refusal to deal with my request and subsequently the complaint, are with the Ombudsman.

This is a potted version of events but have been going on for 4 months.

I have just switched my gas and electricity to another supplier. I now need to wait until the electricity has gone across and then cancel my DD. Your experience is helpful. Thank you.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is a shame when a company closes but after my experience with the company I do not feel they have operated at all. I have had months of difficulty with them. You telephone and find you are something like 45 in the queue. Emails go unanswered but interestingly removed from your support page or listed as 'resolved'.

I did find a way to get their attention, after 5 threats that I will sue I did. I issued a money claim in the County Court for my refund, now they won't shut up!

My account with them ended, finally, in March. Up until then they refused to release the account to our preferred supplier. Threats of complaints went unanswered and the 'support' page shows all my issues as 'resolved'. I threatened to complaint, no response. Finally I complained and nothing happened so I now have the Ombudsman on board.

The refund is in the County Court and their refusal to deal with my request and subsequently the complaint, are with the Ombudsman.

This is a potted version of events but have been going on for 4 months.

I'm sorry, but the ombudsman will not consider your complaint further as you have rushed to the courts and initiated legal action.

You may well win your case at court (the judge will decoide that) but as you clearly did not take all reasonable action to resolve the matter before heading to court (follow the suppliers complaint procedure which includes where appropriate to ask assistence from the ombudsman) then even if you do win, the court may noit allow you the costs (court costs etc) that would normally be included if you were to win.

Good luck!
  • Jane_Rowley
    Options
    How can I check if I have been charged the wrong calorific value for gas, as stated by many customers on this site? Any help appreciated.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,907 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 29 May 2017 at 7:45PM
    Options
    How can I check if I have been charged the wrong calorific value for gas, as stated by many customers on this site? Any help appreciated.
    If you want to be accurate you need to go here http://mip-prod-web.azurewebsites.net/DataItemExplorer/Index and download the daily calorific values for your region for the billing period and divide by the number of days in the period then truncate, not round, the result to 1 decimal place (39.4999 = 39.4). You then multiply that figure by 0.2840666 and see if it matches the multiplier used on the bill. It will not as Iresa are not doing it correctly and will, using the example 39.4, use something like 11.2 when the correct multiplier is 11.192224.
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Same low priced tariff applies.

Applications are via their website.

As always, consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you
    (but do ensure Iresa are listed on it, as some PCWs have not yet caught up)
  • MikeCain
    Options
    Iresa is a new company and gives interest on positive balances. There have been times that I thought they had forgotten to switch me. My old elec supplier had sent the CLOSED PAPERWORK but Iresa had not started but they had been taking money. It was sorted and I didnt lose out. I found the Customer Service helpful and got through quickly at first but lately has been a long queue. I am happy that they are the cheapest, give interest and only require me to read the meter. I could niggle but its the same electricity that Eon supplied and the cust serv is no different. It looks like they were ambitious and have new company issues. I will continue next year
  • System
    Options
    MikeCain wrote: »
    I could niggle but its the same electricity that Eon supplied and the cust serv is no different.

I think that many of the 00s of people who have/are posting on various threads may have a contrarian view. It is also worth remembering that Iresa is currently under Ofgem investigation for:

Standards of Conduct, to treat customers fairly, SLC 0 (or SLC 25C until October 2017)
    Customer Transfer Blocking, SLC 14

Notification of increase in Charges for the Supply of Electricity and /or Gas and other unilateral variations, SLC 23.3 and 23.4

Customers in payment difficulty, including ability to pay, SLC 27.5-27.8
    Provision of information (in relation to credit balances), SLC 27.16

Consumer Complaints Handling Standards 2008

The Jury is still firmly out.
  • LyndaS
    LyndaS Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »

The Jury is still firmly out.

Really? I didn't think the jury had even been sworn in yet.... :cool:
    The opening of this investigation does not imply that we have made any findings about non-compliance by Iresa.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-opens-investigation-iresa-s-customer-service

This old thread makes for a good laugh though :rotfl:

Bring out the gallows, bring out the gallows!

Perhaps we could have a mass execution including the likes of British Gas, Ovo, E, SSE, etc, etc
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/investigations
  • System
    Options
    LyndaS wrote: »
    Really? I didn't think the jury had even been sworn in yet.... :cool:
    ]

And the accepted meaning of the term ‘the jury is still out’ is ‘A decision has not yet been reached on a controversial subject.’

Given that Iresa is still under formal investigation, I would have thought that this was a fair comment to make.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Iresa came up cheapest for me on a comparison search today. Then I Googled, found https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/iresa.co.uk and noped the hell out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure