124»

Comments

• victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,642 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    Keyed uniquely to your voice?

Hmm, but anyway that forces you to read out your PIN to all and sundry aloud. I was thinking of a dynamic challenge that changes each time, e.g. a simple general knowledge question. That way no-one can use a recording to masquerade your PIN.
    Backed up by a system that learns how smart (or stupid) you are, so that questions could range from things like "what is the first letter of the alphabet?" to "what is 27 cubed?", depending on how well you've done historically. Then neighbouring Alexas could exchange notes about how smart their owners are. You'll know they're doing it when your Alexa starts chuckling during the night... :rotfl:

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    victor2 wrote: »
    Backed up by a system that learns how smart (or stupid) you are, so that questions could range from things like "what is the first letter of the alphabet?" to "what is 27 cubed?", depending on how well you've done historically. Then neighbouring Alexas could exchange notes about how smart their owners are. You'll know they're doing it when your Alexa starts chuckling during the night... :rotfl:

mine didn't understand my 'command' after I said it three times so I asked it "are you stupid" it replied "I'm still learning" :rotfl:
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »
    I'd like the voice recognition. Every time my 17yo son walks in the lounge and I'm watching something, he shouts 'Alexa, turn the TV off'.

I wish it would change the channel, that would be really useful. I am forever misplacing the remote. Also eagerly waiting when it will be able to call my mobile to find it :o
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    I have got over my strop about the swearing in songs, still not very pleased but hoping they will implement a 'clean songs' option soon.

In the meantime we have a new 'game' in this house any bad language via her she gets told to "shut up" :D
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wish it would change the channel, that would be really useful. I am forever misplacing the remote. Also eagerly waiting when it will be able to call my mobile to find it :o

It does both of these things.

To find your phone you need to put an app called TrackR on it. Then it rings when you say 'Alexa find my phone'.

It can change channel using a Broadlink remote connected, although it takes a bit of setting up. It changes the tv channel well, but Sky is a bit hit and miss as you have to programme it to the Sky channel numbers e.g. 101 for BBC1.

Have a read of that Facebook site I linked to earlier.
  • iammumtoone
    Options
    chrisw wrote: »
    It does both of these things.

To find your phone you need to put an app called TrackR on it. Then it rings when you say 'Alexa find my phone'.

It can change channel using a Broadlink remote connected, although it takes a bit of setting up. It changes the tv channel well, but Sky is a bit hit and miss as you have to programme it to the Sky channel numbers e.g. 101 for BBC1.

Have a read of that Facebook site I linked to earlier.

Thanks I will investigate them, I don't do Facebook so cant view that unfortunately.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    were wrote: »
    so you don't mind a device in your house that listens to you (and records?) 24/7, possibly broadcasting it around the world to unknown sources, It's dream come true for GCHQ/NSA, and you paid to get this? :D

Let me find my tin foil hat again:)
    photo-1010383035-58c08d32.gif?_r=1489014071

Dunno about GCHQ/etc, but Amazon will most certainly have it listening to conversations, putting them through a complex algorithm and then sending you targeted advertising, based on things you have said.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    Dunno about GCHQ/etc, but Amazon will most certainly have it listening to conversations, putting them through a complex algorithm and then sending you targeted advertising, based on things you have said.
    What is said outside of the 'hot word' command is not sent to any servers, so Amazon would not be able to send advertising based on your conversations.
    If you are that worried about it, there is a mute button on the device, so you only need to turn it on when your want to ask it anything.. If that's the case, then you might as well not have one really.;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills