Echo skills

Options

Comments

• kaya
    kaya Posts: 2,465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    were wrote: »
    so you don't mind a device in your house that listens to you (and records?) 24/7, possibly broadcasting it around the world to unknown sources, It's dream come true for GCHQ/NSA, and you paid to get this? :D

Let me find my tin foil hat again:)
    photo-1010383035-58c08d32.gif?_r=1489014071
    you have a mobile or a landline? keep that hat firmly fixed because both of them can do the same.........
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    buglawton wrote: »
    I'm astonished if Alexa doesn't already recognise individual voice 'prints' and that a password style challenge isn't an option for ordering things.
    e.g. options like:
    1. Needs to recognise authorised voice before it will respond to any request
    2. Asks the recognised person to answer a challenge question in their own voice before authorising a transaction.

It's in the pipeline for individual voice recognition..
    Amazon's Alexa may be about to get smarter. According to a report from Time, the online retailer is working on voice identification software for Alexa that would allow the service to identify who in a household is speaking to it. "People familiar with Amazon's Alexa strategy" claim this feature has been under development since 2015, and the challenge now is in strategically integrating it into Alexa devices like Amazon Echo.
    https://arstechnica.com/business/2017/02/amazons-alexa-could-soon-recognize-users-by-their-voices/
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • thebigstillmeister
    Options
    I'm astonished if Alexa doesn't already recognise individual voice 'prints' and that a password style challenge isn't an option for ordering things.
    e.g. options like:
    1. Needs to recognise authorised voice before it will respond to any request
    2. Asks the recognised person to answer a challenge question in their own voice before authorising a transaction.

There is;

Mine requires me to say the pin number I set up before it actually proceeds with any order.
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Keyed uniquely to your voice?

Hmm, but anyway that forces you to read out your PIN to all and sundry aloud. I was thinking of a dynamic challenge that changes each time, e.g. a simple general knowledge question. That way no-one can use a recording to masquerade your PIN.
  • thebigstillmeister
    Options

Hmm, but anyway that forces you to read out your PIN to all and sundry aloud. I was thinking of a dynamic challenge that changes each time, e.g. a simple general knowledge question. That way no-one can use a recording to masquerade your PIN.

No, its not keyed uniquely to my voice in the same way as my pin number for my bank card is not tied to my finger print,

If a burglar goes to the effort of breaking in to my house and hiding in my kitchen cupboard for weeks waiting for me to order something so he can listen for my pin, then i'll let him order something,... he'll obviously have to break in again and wait for the delivery to turn up :D
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I turned the voice ordering off completely on mine. Amazon give a choice for this so do recognize children may live in households with echo.

If I had a choice for him to hear some bad language or ordering £100's worth of toys I would choose the bad language but I don't understand why I can't turn off both :(
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    RumRat wrote: »

I am not bothered that it can't differentiate between my voice and my sons I am happy for me to have the same restrictions as him, I don't have any option to turn off swearing.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

How many sundries are sitting around in your lounge???:D
    I think people are inventing scenarios to fit with the fear.....;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it can make purchases then it should have a similar level of control as a smartphone with fingerprint reader. Queuing up your orders for later approval via a web browser is a bit naff.

And if you want to order a movie on Amazon Instant Video you've got to speak your PIN aloud for your kids to hear.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd like the voice recognition. Every time my 17yo son walks in the lounge and I'm watching something, he shouts 'Alexa, turn the TV off'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure