Echo skills

Options
I have treated myself to an echo dot :D

I mainly got for easy access/playing of prime music, which works well I am pleased with it.

What other skills can I try/would you recommended. There are loads on amazon but people don't seem to review them, I don't know if this is because people don't use them or they are useless.

For those that have a dot/echo what do you use if for? and what skills do you have loaded/recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It can link to your calendar.

It can also play radio stations via tune in. I like asking it the weather. It can also let you know how many calories in something you are cooking.

Can't think of anything else we use ours for.
  • thebigstillmeister
    Options
    I have an Echo and two Dot's,.. I don't use the Skills so much, I use it more for Music, news and weather, timer etc,...

The reason I have the two Dots as well is because I have lots of the Philips Hue lights and also a Nest thermostat,.. so handy to have the dots around the house so I can control the heating/lights by voice command in most rooms...

Worth checking out the IFTTT app, can link Echo up to all sorts of other apps,
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 28 March 2017 at 4:01PM
    Options
    so you don't mind a device in your house that listens to you (and records?) 24/7, possibly broadcasting it around the world to unknown sources, It's dream come true for GCHQ/NSA, and you paid to get this? :D

Let me find my tin foil hat again:)
    photo-1010383035-58c08d32.gif?_r=1489014071
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    It can link to your calendar.

Thanks I have linked it, I will definitely use that feature. I was hoping it would be able to do something like this.
    Worth checking out the IFTTT app, can link Echo up to all sorts of other apps,

Thanks I looked at that and will investigate further, I am assuming I have to sign up to it first?
    were wrote: »
    so you don't mind a device in your house that listens to you (and records?) 24/7, possibly broadcasting it around the world to unknown sources, It's dream come true for GCHQ/NSA, and you paid to get this? :D

I don't mind at all nothing exciting happens here but thanks for the reminder I must remember when I plan my next bank robbery to unplug it.

I am not normally one for sharing information. Out of principle I don't even have any store loyalty cards as the info they gain from me via it, isn't worth the piddly payment/awards they give me for that. However I love the dot what I can use it for and the ease it will make things is more than worth the storing of my (useless) info. Plus I can delete my info anytime I want. I might even set a reminder on the dot to do this every week :D.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have discovered it will spell a word for me, that is going to be extremely useful.

The novelty of asking it a joke/fact etc will wear off but I will continue to use for music and the calendar, possibly weather and news as well depending on how useful/accurate it is for the last two,
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can start automating your entire house. Plenty of advice on this Facebook group:-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/alexafansuk/?ref=bookmarks
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,792 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Let me find my tin foil hat again:)
    You will have to get used to the fact that people are buying these in great numbers and eventually most households will own either Amazon or Google devices to control their homes or at least some aspects of it.
    It's no good going on a crusade to try and stop it by transferring your paranoia....;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    Me, paranoid, never RumRat.

Can see this a a burglars best friend "Alexa, is there anyone left in the house?", "Alexa is there a dog there?", "Alexa, are any doors left unlocked?" - the future of automated homes and burglary :D
  • Mr_Toad
    Mr_Toad Posts: 2,462 Forumite
    Options
    Me, paranoid, never RumRat.

Can see this a a burglars best friend "Alexa, is there anyone left in the house?", "Alexa is there a dog there?", "Alexa, are any doors left unlocked?" - the future of automated homes and burglary :D

"Alexa if anyone speaks to you while we're out or in the night lock all the doors and electrify the handles. Oh, you'd better phone the plod as well."

Or

"Alexa if anyone speaks to you while we're out lock all the doors and release the carbon monoxide. Oh, you'd better order me a JCB and some new patio slabs as well." - the future of automated home protection
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
  • thebigstillmeister
    Options
    Thanks I looked at that and will investigate further, I am assuming I have to sign up to it first?

Yes I think so,..I have a few things set up on IFTTT with my Nest smoke detectors and Philips lights, it's quite good, if my echo timer goes off when i'm cooking my hall light flashes on and off as sometimes i don't hear it from the lounge,

If my nest smoke detectors detect carbon monoxide my house lights will turn red. If the smoke detectors detect smoke, all my house lights turn on to help you to get out of the house at night etc,

There's loads of things on there, alot are pointless like turn the lights blue if its about to rain etc,

bit of fun tho,
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport