BA Seats extra charges

Options
Hi,

Can anyone advise me please? I recently returned from Cape Town using BA. One of our travel party is quite tall, and so to ensure a bit more room, we booked our seats using the BA app, as we could see there were 4 seats just behind one of the partitions near the emergency exits. We paid £100 for this. When we got on the flight, we got the sets we booked, however the plane was not the same model as shown on the app. I have complained to BA and they simply refuse saying they can not guarantee what aircraft they will have. Surely this is misrepresentation? I am seriously cross as they keep telling me they understand my frustration but giving me a refund would not be fair on other passengers (?!!) Any help or info would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    It says at the time you book that aircraft type may change due to operational reasons and cannot be guaranteed.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2017 at 3:16PM
    Options
    If you'd booked extra legroom seats you would be entitled to a refund. However as you did not, and you got the seat numbers you requested, you are not entitled to a refund.

(Going by the amount they paid, they didn't book emergency exit seats.)
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The real question is did you get seats at the emergency exit or not? If you did, but there wasn't the amount of space you expected, I don't see any claim. If the seats were not at an exit, then of course you are entitled to a refund.

The flights are operated by 777's but BA has 4 different versions, at times the ones based at Gatwick are swoped with Heathrow versions and that may have been the case here as Cape Town is further than any other flight operated by BA at Gatwick.
  • Not_so_smarti_marti
    Options
    Alan_Bowen wrote: »
    The real question is did you get seats at the emergency exit or not? If you did, but there wasn't the amount of space you expected, I don't see any claim. If the seats were not at an exit, then of course you are entitled to a refund.

No the seats were not by the emergency exits no.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options

No the seats were not by the emergency exits no.

But you didn't pay for emergency exit/ extra legroom seats, is that correct?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    But you didn't pay for emergency exit/ extra legroom seats, is that correct?

looks to me like it was the standard cost just to book seats not book exit rows
  • CM66
    CM66 Posts: 602 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On the page where you select a seat on the BA app it specifically says:

The seat plan is for guidance only and not true to scale. Extra space between rows does not indicate extra leg room

So, unless you've specifically purchased an exit row or extra leg room seat and not received it, then I think you might just have to chalk this one up to experience
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Were you flying to Heathrow or Gatwick?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    You didn't pay for extra legroom or exit seats so you're not due a refund. You got the seat numbers you 'requested'.
  • Not_so_smarti_marti
    Options
    I flew from LHR. The seats I booked were on the exit rows. It also specified cot space. (Not that I needed a cot) They weren't the cheapest to book on the app. Everyone's advice is great thanks. I know that changes in aircraft occur, however, surely we should have been told at check in, where we would have changed at least one seat?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure