DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mrsdann wrote: »
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have had a few text messages today asking me to call but I think I will take your advice and contact by online messaging as talking about it on the phone is still making me very anxious.
    I have a new bank account and have transferred the balance from my old account into it. Do I cancel all direct debits now? The ones set up are for my mobile, insurances, prescription costs, rent, council tax etc. I was going to cancel each one after payment and then ring and set them back up in my new account.
    Part of me is still terrified of taking this step whilst the other is totally relieved. Its a very strange feeling but hopefully it can only get better.

Hi I’ve just started my DMP with a Stepchange and I just wanted to tell you that so far it’s the best th8ng I have ever done,I just wish I had seen the light before and done it earlier,as far as phoning your creditors go if you really can’t face it then I understand but it might not be as bad as you are imagining,I hate talking to people on the phone,I even text my family rather than call them,everyone here advised me to call and so I decided to just do it,I was literally shaking and hyperventilating just thinking about it and my stomach was Churning,I just thought I can phone and if I don’t like the way the conversation is going I can just hang up,so I phoned and was sooooo surprised, everyone I spoke too were really very kind,one lady told me to try not to worry it happened to lots of people she was so reassuring as soon as I mentioned Stepchange they knew I was taking steps to sort things out and they really were fine about it
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Danny008
    Danny008 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    So today 3 months into saving my EF I get a letter from Halifax saying my credit card debt has been transferred to Moorcroft Group with immediate effect. Will this affect my DMP once it’s set up and is this a good or bad thing to happen? Thanks.
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Danny008 wrote: »
    So today 3 months into saving my EF I get a letter from Halifax saying my credit card debt has been transferred to Moorcroft Group with immediate effect. Will this affect my DMP once it’s set up and is this a good or bad thing to happen? Thanks.

That's a good thing :) Just let SC know as payments will go to Moorcroft rather than Halifax :j
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Danny008
    Danny008 Posts: 25 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks January. Will this be better for FnFs in the long run?
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Ive done it! Ive sent my letters to all my creditors! Every single one of them! BC sent me an automated message to say ill be defaulted already so hopefully everything else will go as well! I actually cannot believe how much this was getting me down before i started this, i'm like a new person already and i only sent the letters/sercure messages yesterday!! I turn 40 in a few months and i am actually looking forward to it now!
    Bring it on, im ready at long last! Why did i not do this years ago? Anyone else feel like their life depended on a stupid credit rating? It really doesn't, your life depends on the quality of life you have with your loved ones, not worrying and stressing where the next pound is going to come from. I might have 8 years of repayment in front of me but i feel like the old me for the first time in 10 years!
    Well done :) I wish I had done it years ago too or at least done it before I got so stressed out about it all,I was feeling so ill a few months ago but I’m starting to feel less panicky now I also have 8years of debt repayment in front of me but I say bring it on,Im glad I won’t be able to get credit anymore,I can’t be trusted with a credit card so it’s a good thing
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I got two more letters from MBNA today telling me they are going to default my accounts,it’s a letter giving me 30 days notice and offerin me the chance to pay,Im just going to ignore this one,I am going to write to them in reply to the original letter to tell them when SC take the payment and that they can only contact me by letter.......I’ve never had so much post:D
  • NewbieNat
    NewbieNat Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I will be grateful for advice in dealing with Very. My others creditors have given me 30 days with my accounts on hold. Very say they can only give one week. As I am delaying my DMP to save for an EF, what can I do? I'm certainly not phoning them weekly. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    NewbieNat wrote: »
    I will be grateful for advice in dealing with Very. My others creditors have given me 30 days with my accounts on hold. Very say they can only give one week. As I am delaying my DMP to save for an EF, what can I do? I'm certainly not phoning them weekly. Has anyone else experienced this?

My experience with any of the catalogue companies has always been the same, as awkward as they possibly can be.

I just didn’t pay them a thing until the account defaulted, went through their own internal debt collectors, and was then eventually sold on to Lowell.

I then dealt with Lowell who were much more accommodating.

It’s not the course of action for everyone, you could go down the complaints route, but I doubt they will suddenly grow a conscience.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • NewbieNat
    NewbieNat Posts: 61 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    My experience with any of the catalogue companies has always been the same, as awkward as they possibly can be.

I just didn’t pay them a thing until the account defaulted, went through their own internal debt collectors, and was then eventually sold on to Lowell.

I then dealt with Lowell who were much more accommodating.

It’s not the course of action for everyone, you could go down the complaints route, but I doubt they will suddenly grow a conscience.
    Thanks for your reply. I've been reading about very and their aggressive ways. I think I would prefer to deal with DCA. I need at least 3 months of saving for my EM. So, if I don't pay anything for 3 months before my DMP, that means the debt will increase massively? I felt so positive yesterday & now am completely deflated :(
  • EmergencyNurse
    EmergencyNurse Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 8 March 2018 at 9:35PM
    Options
    Have I got this right?

1. I send my DMP forms off only once my salary is in my new bank account?
    2. Stop paying all non priority debts and put that money in an emergency fund OR reduce higher interest BNPL? (Littlewoods)
    3. Wait and send all creditor letters once SC informs me of the amounts they are going to distribute to each creditor following the template letter in Application Pack?

And Finally...
    Once the DMP is up and running does my old bank account get closed automatically?
    Debt March 2018 £27,596:eek: DMP Start June 2018 Debt Free Date 2023:T:T:T Debt July 2020 £14,700 Debt July 2021 £9300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure