DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• Walaboobah
    Options
    I have just paid my final instalment off my DMP and am now Debt Free. It's taken around 5.5 years to pay off the £29k that was owed.

My personal journey was eventful but I didn't have much issue with my creditors aside from Standard Letters and one debt being sold to Link Financial. Aside from one account where interest was charged for some of the time, all of the others froze the interest payments at the time we took out the DMP, so I guess we were very lucky.

I would like to say to those starting out on your DMP journey and those midway through it to stick at it, it will take time, it may not seem like you are much inroad into the debt but with each payment your debt comes down and eventually you will pay it off.

Set your self targets, if you owe £20k, set a target of £15k then have a little treat, celebrate when the debt comes down to 4 figures, when it comes down to 3 figures etc.

You will get there, be strong and if you need help, ask for it.
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    IANB77 wrote: »
    Juts my pride and the feeling of failure if honest... I have emailed most creditors so didnt need to speak over the phone. Just worry about getting all the phone calls etc, when my 30 day grace period is up. _pale_.
    I never received a single phone call in over 5 years, you get the occasional letter, Halifax were the worse ones, as I had to ring them every 6 months as they threatened to charge an overdraft fee but a quick call and interest was suspended again for 6 months.

Barclays or MBNA I had no issues with whatsoever
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Walaboobah wrote: »
    I have just paid my final instalment off my DMP and am now Debt Free. It's taken around 5.5 years to pay off the £29k that was owed.

My personal journey was eventful but I didn't have much issue with my creditors aside from Standard Letters and one debt being sold to Link Financial. Aside from one account where interest was charged for some of the time, all of the others froze the interest payments at the time we took out the DMP, so I guess we were very lucky.

I would like to say to those starting out on your DMP journey and those midway through it to stick at it, it will take time, it may not seem like you are much inroad into the debt but with each payment your debt comes down and eventually you will pay it off.

Set your self targets, if you owe £20k, set a target of £15k then have a little treat, celebrate when the debt comes down to 4 figures, when it comes down to 3 figures etc.

Ooh well done. So pleased for you.....and you managed it so quickly.:beer::beer::beer::T:T
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Ooh well done. So pleased for you.....and you managed it so quickly.:beer::beer::beer::T:T
    Thanks, yes slipped by a couple of months from original DFD but very pleased it's now done. The worse thing about paying it off relatively quickly is there are still some defaults on my credit file.

The last one will be gone August 2019 so around 18 months before those red markers disappear!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Walaboobah wrote: »
    Thanks, yes slipped by a couple of months from original DFD but very pleased it's now done. The worse thing about paying it off relatively quickly is there are still some defaults on my credit file.

The last one will be gone August 2019 so around 18 months before those red markers disappear!

That's one thing we won't have to worry about....lol. Our defaults will all be dropped off by 2021/22 and can't see us paying the DMP off by then.
  • Walaboobah
    Options
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    That's one thing we won't have to worry about....lol. Our defaults will all be dropped off by 2021/22 and can't see us paying the DMP off by then.
    You'll get there believe me! :)
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,966 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 21 February 2018 at 12:25AM
    Options
    Anyone on a DMP interested in sharing there experience with the money advice service :

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5797968
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hey guys. :)

Should I be concerned that my Littlewoods debt isn't on my credit report? I know the debt is going to be written off as a goodwill gesture soon, but it's for £5000-odd and it hasn't been listed on my credit report for months (not sure it's ever been on there, to be honest!)

Should I just leave it or query it?
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • January2015
    Options
    Hey guys. :)

Should I be concerned that my Littlewoods debt isn't on my credit report? I know the debt is going to be written off as a goodwill gesture soon, but it's for £5000-odd and it hasn't been listed on my credit report for months (not sure it's ever been on there, to be honest!)

Should I just leave it or query it?

I'd leave it. Could it be that it defaulted as long ago as 2011/12?

Seriously, I only chase items on my credit report that appear more than once or (not that is has happened) that are not mine.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Walaboobah wrote: »

Congratulations:T:T! Great news:j:dance:_party_

Thanks for coming on here and posting about it:T. Happy endings are always such a help and encouragement to others especially those at the start of what seems like an endless DMP journey or those mid-stream who are having a bit of a wobble.

Good luck and happiness in your new debt-free life:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport