Expired ID - not proof of age?

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    No, but if I remember correctly, the punishments are very similar for selling directly to someone underage and knowingly selling to someone who is buying on behalf of an underage person. This is why shops are so cautious about it and what drives these policies. They don't want the fine and the employees concerned don't want the criminal record/to lose their license to sell alcohol.

The fine is to the cashier. Up to £5k. So for a cashier potentially half to a third of their salary for not wanting to upset someone without valid ID

But clearly they are stupid, idiotic, and need retraining, as it's very difficult to have and carry valid ID and/or forego a bottle of wine.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any shop staff refusing sale of alcohol because they have a child with them needs to be retrained.

I also seen someone refusing the sale of alcohol to a heavily pregnant woman. The alcohol was probably for her partner or as a gift.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 2,879 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The fine is to the cashier. Up to £5k. So for a cashier potentially half to a third of their salary for not wanting to upset someone without valid ID

But clearly they are stupid, idiotic, and need retraining, as it's very difficult to have and carry valid ID and/or forego a bottle of wine.

Yep, and when I was doing it I think the minimum fine was £80, rather more than I got paid for a whole shift.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    On the other hand there is no law that says a shop must sell alcohol to you. It is at their discretion.

Just as a pub can refuse to sell to you.
  • Hannah_M
    Hannah_M Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I once heard about a 90 year old woman was wasn't allowed to buy wine as she didn't have ID. Her 60 year old daughter had to come with ID and then they allowed the daughter to buy it!
  • timbstoke
    timbstoke Posts: 987 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I got into a nightclub once by showing my expired student ID. When the bouncer pointed out that it showed my age as 17, I pointed to the expiry date and told him it was last years ID and that I was old enough now.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 March 2017 at 8:54AM
    Options
    Just to put into perspective on how silly this situation really is; if a crowd of say 15 people go into a supermarket to buy some alcohol and they're at the checkout with one of them paying and this assistant is worried about being fined £5000 if one of them is underage do they check everyone's id?

I'll take this further; an 18 year old goes into Argos and buys a set of kitchen knives accompanied by other people. Does the assistant check everyone's id?

Or a 16 year old buys cigarettes from a shop with others in tow. Does the assistant check everyone's id?

When I was a teenager myself and some mates went into a pub at 15 and got served pints of beer. I also bought cigs at 12. This was in the early 60s. How times have changed. For the better? Debatable.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 March 2017 at 7:52PM
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »
    Just to put into perspective on how silly this situation really is; if a crowd of say 15 people go into a supermarket to buy some alcohol and they're at the checkout with one of them paying and this assistant is worried about being fined £5000 if one of them is underage do they check everyone's id?

I'll take this further; an 18 year old goes into Argos and buys a set of kitchen knives accompanied by other people. Does the assistant check everyone's id?

Or a 16 year old buys cigarettes from a shop with others in tow. Does the assistant check everyone's id?

When I was a teenager myself and some mates went into a pub at 15 and got served pints of beer. I also bought cigs at 12. This was in the early 60s. How times have changed. For the better? Debatable.

Yes, it's better 12 year olds can't buy cigarettes so easily.
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Yes, it's better 12 year olds can't by cigarettes so easily.

Don't be silly. Now they get their older mates to buy them.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Sicard wrote: »

Yes, to all of those, and its not silly.

If a crowd of lads came through my till when I worked at MnS, and they all looked under 25 and one was buying beer, I'd ID the lot. Not silly.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure