Tripadvisor

Options

Comments

• Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,633 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your encouraging replies. Especially that from Beanie - i nearly fell off my chair when I read that pretty much the same had happened to them. I wonder how many other traveller reviews have been suppressed due to such threats?
  • leylandsunaddict
    Options
    Being as you posted the review on TA did you ask about it on the TA Support forum, and ask for advice from the regular helpers on that forum? Your situation isn't a one off.

Businesses are not to contact reviewers, and they certainly can't bully or harass them. Report the business to TA.
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    TA asks that you report to them any case of harassment. Please do so. Details are on TA site. You would be really stupid to remove your review.
    travelover
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,721 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I've read your review and can't see anything wrong with it.
    You complimented the decor and didn't enjoy the special meal.

I agree with Leylandsunaddict, here's what it says on Tripadvisor:
    If I write a review of a business, can the business contact me about it?

It is against our privacy policy to share a reviewer's e-mail address with an owner, manager, or anyone else. Reviewers stay anonymous unless they choose to post their e-mail addresses or contact information in a contribution, such as a review or forum post.
    If you use a descriptive screen name (e.g. NYCredheadmom) or a friendly name (your first name and initial of surname) as your display name, the business you review may be able to figure out who you are.

Business owners or managers may contact you through the TripAdvisor private messaging system, which allows TripAdvisor members to correspond without sharing their e-mail addresses. Owners may use the messaging system to thank reviewers, ask for further feedback or make legitimate attempts to resolve customer service issues, but owners may not ask reviewers to remove a review via the messaging system, and harassment of reviewers is strictly prohibited.
    I think going to the extent of sending a solicitor's letter about a review you left on TA is very wrong and is almost certainly against TA policy.
  • DUKE
    DUKE Posts: 7,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    I thought that once a review was written, it couldn't be edited or amended?

If they have a problem with your review they shouldn't be harassing you, as they have every opportunity to reply to that review. It's not all about 5* reviews, as sometimes it can be that one bad or average review that's the decider for some people. You can ask to get it removed, then do what Voyager suggests.
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you removed the review, that is such a shame. I like to read TA reports before booking and take an average
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • springdreams
    springdreams Posts: 3,623 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Car Insurance Carver! Home Insurance Hacker! Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I agree that you should not change your review.

The other reviewers who gave 5 stars may well have been pressurised into changing their original reviews, which is why the majority are 5 star.

I'd also do a Google search to check on the authenticity of the apparent law firm that sent you a letter. If they do indeed exist, then I would make a complaint to their senior partner - someone may well be posing as them!
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • sandsy
    sandsy Posts: 1,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'd leave it on principle. Don't let their problem become your problem.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If a hotel, or any venue, tried that with me they would get another far worse revue a month later.
  • Frugalsod
    Frugalsod Posts: 2,966 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Beenie wrote: »
    And you heard no more about it? I am annoyed at their bullying tactics and would like to stand firm, but my husband is worried that they will institute civil proceedings for defamation and damages. Personally I think that is ludicrous but I want a happy husband so that's why I'm considering removing/amending my review.

Why not drop it down to 2 stars and explain why. If they get away with bullying you they will continue with others. That would lower their overall score still further.
    It's really easy to default to cynicism these days, since you are almost always certain to be right.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure