PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council Tax

Options

Comments

• Chanes
    Chanes Posts: 882 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zebulon wrote: »
    Band F, 2 bedroom flat. £2578.53 (inc. water & sew)
    +12% :(

This is in Scotland, isn't it? Crikey, I thought we'd been had over a bit until I saw some of the other places.
  • zebulon
    zebulon Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    Chanes wrote: »
    This is in Scotland, isn't it? Crikey, I thought we'd been had over a bit until I saw some of the other places.

Aye!
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So why has Scotland been hammered so hard above band D? And what's Jimmy Krankie, I mean Nicola Sturgeon, going to do about it?
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Band E £1980. Plus £35 for green waste.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    The reason that it's only a 25% reduction for a single person is because 50% of the bill is for the property and 50% for the people.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    boliston wrote: »
    generally single people choose smaller properties such a studio, 1 bed or 2 bed properties which would mainly be band A or B.

2 bedroom flat, Band E, £1594, exc water etc which will add another £526. Argyll and Bute council. (That's without single person discount).
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 March 2017 at 1:26AM
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    So why has Scotland been hammered so hard above band D? And what's Jimmy Krankie, I mean Nicola Sturgeon, going to do about it?

The extra increases for bands E,F,G and H were put inplace by the Scottish Parliament itself, not the councils.

Our council increase is about £90, the extra on top of that, as dictated by the parliament, is £512.

Our water and waste is over £800.

The total increase for CT and water/waste is over 20%.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My main concern is the huge level of under occupation of a very finite resource.

The worst example is the speculative investor who will buy expensive property and keep it empty with the capital gain as their only interest, but there is also a lot of property that is hugely under occupied, such as pensioners who own huge properties when many families are crammed into tiny properties and many cannot even afford a home at all.

People should still have the option to under-occupy to their hearts content but the tax they pay should reflect the cost to society of their choice.

So pensioners should be forced to leave the home they have paid for? Or taxed out of it?

How do you reckon these families are going to be able to afford to buy these larger houses?

Exactly what cost to society do you believe is involved in people remaining in their own home?
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 17 March 2017 at 8:39AM
    Options
    sparky130a wrote: »
    How they raise it is one thing...

It's how they then waste it that bothers most people.

That was the one I was ruefully grinning about - since I moved to where everything is published in two languages (though we all speak the first one)......:cool:. I've never yet seen any figures as to what the extra cost is for the other language too.

It's a matter of debate which I find most annoying out of that waste of money on the one hand or being charged 75% of the CT bill (rather than the 50% each that someone in a couple would pay) on the other hand.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My main concern is the huge level of under occupation of a very finite resource.

The worst example is the speculative investor who will buy expensive property and keep it empty with the capital gain as their only interest, but there is also a lot of property that is hugely under occupied, such as pensioners who own huge properties when many families are crammed into tiny properties and many cannot even afford a home at all.

People should still have the option to under-occupy to their hearts content but the tax they pay should reflect the cost to society of their choice.

Speculators who buy and leave them empty probably aren't too big a burden on council services, they can get hit with the empty property +50% surcharge too*, so are paying 150% council tax for almost no services. They should rent it to 1 single person, get the 25% discount and a few £ rent. The profits in London and the fact that they are mega wealthy to start with means they are not bothered.

*From 1 April 2013, billing authorities may charge a premium on a class of property that has been unoccupied and unfurnished for 2 years or more. The premium can be up to 50% of the Council Tax on the property
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure