How do you use your PIP?

Options

Comments

• bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Crazycollielady it sounds like you have a true friend there.:)
  • Crazycollielady
    Options
    She really is - she goes above and beyond the definition of a friend. If it wasn't for her I honestly don't know what I would do. It's been hard having to adjust and not be able to do things like I used to before ( I used to cook alot - now I can't see if food is cooked properly - not so bad when comes to beef as I can eat that medium but things like chicken I'm paranoid about food poisoning so my friend cooks my meals for me too) I do pay for takeaways to give her a break especially when she's had a really long day and is tired so it gives her a wee break as well
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i have daylight bulbs and at first they were great, now they make no difference at all.
    you don't need to buy a special lamp to use them in. they come in bayonet and screw filings and can be used in all lights that take normal bulbs.

i would suggest that you try L E D bulbs.
    they are much better and also more energy efficient
  • Crazycollielady
    Options
    My kitchen has the led spotlights. Livingroom however is one of those ones that point upwards in a glass cone like casing

I have never seen led lights other than spotlight type and iv never seen daylight bulbs in the shops - where would be best place to buy those please

Thanks
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    i bought mine from the RNIB, but I'm sure you can find them cheaper on the internet
  • Crazycollielady
    Options
    Thankyou. I will have a look later when my friend finishes work
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    My PIP gets absorbed into my household spending. I work full time, and above MW, but don't earn enough to be able to cover my rent and living expenses which include extra heating, a phone, running a car and occasional help with housework, maintenance and bills/paperwork.

I rely heavily on my extended family for much of my help because you couldn't actually employ anyone to do what they do for me. My condition fluctuates incredibly and if you see me out and about, enjoying myself and I 'look as if I don;t need benefits' then that's a good day! On my bad days I fit the HRM criteria so, overall, the LRM seems fair to me!

There would be no reward in me working if I did not receive top up benefits and PIP - the pain, fatigue and low mood would simply not be worth it. I'd have no quality of life.

But, overall, I cost the govt and the NHS LESS because I have the tools to manage my own illness - and I pay tax into the bargain!!

So it doesn't matter what I spend my disability benefits on, all anyone needs to know is that my health is much improved, thank you very much, and the tax payers are getting a good return on their deductions! Win, win:T:T:T
  • rockingbilly
    rockingbilly Posts: 853 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2017 at 7:21PM
    Options
    My PIP gets absorbed into my household spending. I work full time, and above MW, but don't earn enough to be able to cover my rent and living expenses which include extra heating, a phone, running a car and occasional help with housework, maintenance and bills/paperwork.

I rely heavily on my extended family for much of my help because you couldn't actually employ anyone to do what they do for me. My condition fluctuates incredibly and if you see me out and about, enjoying myself and I 'look as if I don;t need benefits' then that's a good day! On my bad days I fit the HRM criteria so, overall, the LRM seems fair to me!

There would be no reward in me working if I did not receive top up benefits and PIP - the pain, fatigue and low mood would simply not be worth it. I'd have no quality of life.

But, overall, I cost the govt and the NHS LESS because I have the tools to manage my own illness - and I pay tax into the bargain!!

So it doesn't matter what I spend my disability benefits on, all anyone needs to know is that my health is much improved, thank you very much, and the tax payers are getting a good return on their deductions! Win, win:T:T:T

I thought that this thread was set up to question (a) what your extra costs are that are entirely created by your disability and (b) do you actually spend your DLA/PIP in it's entirety
    on those extra costs.

For me, and it was my original post that gave rise to this thread is that I don't have any extra costs over and above what I would have spent had I not been disabled. eg buying and running a car would be the same whether I was disabled or not.
    We have always had paid help with household chores, ironing, gardening, window cleaning, painting, decorating etc. We have always had a mobile phone each as well as a landline whether disabled or not. We have always treated both our children when they help such as rubbish removal to the tip, driving etc before we were disabled.
    In effect in our case being disabled does not incur any extra costs that we didn't have before we were disabled.

And as for paying into the system and disregarding the 44 years of continuous employment, I am still paying in - in fact I have to hand over to the taxman 20% of my State Retirement pension every year on top of the tax I also pay on my other income.
  • bigbulldog
    bigbulldog Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought that this thread was set up to question (a) what your extra costs are that are entirely created by your disability and (b) do you actually spend your DLA/PIP in it's entirety
    on those extra costs.

For me, and it was my original post that gave rise to this thread is that I don't have any extra costs over and above what I would have spent had I not been disabled. eg buying and running a car would be the same whether I was disabled or not.
    We have always had paid help with household chores, ironing, gardening, window cleaning, painting, decorating etc. We have always had a mobile phone each as well as a landline whether disabled or not. We have always treated both our children when they help such as rubbish removal to the tip, driving etc before we were disabled.
    In effect in our case being disabled does not incur any extra costs that we didn't have before we were disabled.

And as for paying into the system and disregarding the 44 years of continuous employment, I am still paying in - in fact I have to hand over to the taxman 20% of my State Retirement pension every year on top of the tax I also pay on my other income.

Your such a star....and you probably believe that your the only one that pays tax....

Why does every thread you post on has a story about you and in the end you spoil them all.
  • OldMotherTucker
    Options
    I've never felt the need to account for every penny of my Dla/Pip - it's between Atos and me what I get and why I get it - whereas you seem to like to actively gloat that you get it but don't need it.

I don't know where your motivation comes from but if there was ever a change that I'd like to see in disability benefits it would be this: Once people have been awarded their payment, they never have to justify why they get it and what they spend it on.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure