15678911»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Taxis to/from work as sometimes i cannot cope with public transport
    Food-i cannot cook in my own house due to anxiety so need to eat out
    Exercise, due to my medication (one of which can cause heart problems), exercise is necessary.
    Paying for someone to come with me to social places as i struggle to cope going alone.
  • itsallabitmuch
    Options
    I use the whole of my mobility component on a Motability car.

The care component money I use for appointments, medications, splints, K-tape (although a cheaper version!), aids etc. I also use it for my to pay entry fees/ticket prices for someone else if I go somewhere that doesn't offer a free companion ticket - I wouldn't be able to go on my own, and if someone is giving up their time for me, they shouldn't have to pay. Anything left over from each payment gets transferred to a separate account and I then use that money for bigger disability-related expenses that crop up (replacing wheelchair/crutches parts etc.)
  • itsallabitmuch
    Options
    But I'd just like to add - if you're assessed as eligible for PIP, screw what you use the money on - it's nobody else's business!
  • dori2o
    dori2o Posts: 8,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But I'd just like to add - if you're assessed as eligible for PIP, screw what you use the money on - it's nobody else's business!

Exactly.

What anyone uses money they have lawfully claimed, and proved eligibility for, is absolutely nobody elses business.
    [SIZE=-1]To equate judgement and wisdom with occupation is at best . . . insulting.
    [/SIZE]
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I just stockpile money and use it as see fit so its more living money.

Reasons for this is I don't want to spend X amount per week thinking its ok I have another payment due so bank account is empty, then now and again do something like spend a weekend away in a £20 a night hotel, or now and again a meal out, entrance to a museum.

But part of my disabilties are psychological so I need this control, sure I was far better when I had X amount a week to spend and spent it all as that way I could treat myself for first few days then live off basics for a few days, now I just live off basics and save for a rainy day and it does help as it enabled me to pay moving costs when I moved house, furniture for home and was thinking of using some to get evening classes to get me back into work.
  • preciousillusions
    preciousillusions Posts: 543 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 3:30PM
    Options
    Mostly food. I have an eating disorder so you could say in a way my benefits maintain my illness, but that is what it is, it is how I cope and I am receiving treatment.

Judge if you like but this is me being honest.

Also taxis as I can't walk far, hypo treatment for my diabetes, extra heating costs etc.
  • Chris_M_3
    Chris_M_3 Posts: 102 Forumite
    Options
    I use my PIP to pay the monthly payments on a £35k Honda Civic Type R.
    100% debt free
    House - bought and paid for
    Contents - bought and paid for

:beer:
    £12k in '12 No.198: £12,554/£12,000
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    Chris_M wrote: »
    I use my PIP to pay the monthly payments on a £35k Honda Civic Type R.

Great car!! although the suspension is a little too hard for my aching bones.
    I too did the same with my old DLA award when buying the previous car, it was used to cover the monthly credit payments. When they finished I then gave the money to my children/grandchildren to enjoy.
    And as DORI2o said:
    What anyone uses money they have lawfully claimed, and proved eligibility for, is absolutely nobody elses business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure