Is it important to have a life of your own?

Options

Comments

• Scorpio33
    Scorpio33 Posts: 745 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My thoughts: I would say to your friend the same thing I will be saying to my daughters. The most important thing in life is to ensure you are living your life how you want to and enjoying it long term.

The key words there are long term.

It is easy to enjoy your life in the short term (For example, by blowing your cash in Ibiza), but that is only a short term, quick fix. Long term enjoyment often means short term sacrifices. For example, studying a degree for 3/4 years will mean not having much money in that time and living cheaply, but in the long term, it should give you better earnings in the future to enjoy your life better long term.

I accept it is difficult to understand what you would enjoy long term, but that is part of life we all go through. As long as you are doing things with a thought process and plan in place, then go for it.
  • fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    S
    It's getting to a point where everyone around him is getting married, having children, buying properties or getting on with a career. I just fear that 10 years from now all he's going to be over reliant on others for any ounce of happiness or self worth
    So? No one has to do any of those things. Why do you think that getting married, having kids and buying property is going to make you happier in the long run that travelling and partying?
    What's self worth got to do with any of it?
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    When I was around his age when I got married. Dreadful decision!

I'm now 49 and divorced and trying to live the life he's leading!
  • suejb2
    suejb2 Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    As my mum will say " you're big enough and daft enough to make your on mind ," He's a grown man , who's to say getting a house, married and children is a good life choice or dropping everything at the drop of a hat is in either.

Horses for courses.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
  • JP08
    JP08 Posts: 851 Forumite
    Options
    For some reason, the famous quote of George Best springs to mind ...

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    To be honest. If he really was going to start his own business squandering all his income wouldn't or shouldn't be a barrier. There are always ways to get money, and essentailly for a business it could even be classed as good debt rather then doing it over a hoilday or spending spree.

All I'm saying is people talk a lot about what they want to do, but actually doing it is another matter.

I'm a bit of a dreamer myself (although I'm not the sort of person to blow £7,000 on one week, that would have at least bought me 7 weeks away as a family) and often talk with my best friend how I'll do this in X years or planning on doing this but things change, or ideas get forgotten...etc.

He had a good time and sounds like he has no regrets, so good on him and focus on your own life.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 March 2017 at 2:48PM
    Options
    You never know when you will go (a car accident for example) and may as well as enjoy it.

I wish I was the same, and should book my trip to Las Vegas and LA and go alone if I must.

It's getting to a point where everyone around him is getting married, having children, buying properties

It's not for everyone, I'm 35, single no children and have my own property. I have no plans to change this and I'm happy.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Horse for courses but in my view the guy is a drifter with no anchorage who will probably end up being a liability to himself and his friends He may think it's fun to do what he,s doing but there's always as price to be paid for the decisions we make. As somebody else has intimated I wouldn,t want to be around in ten years time when when he'a still broke, has no home and has probabky become an alcoholic.

He might think his lifestyle is fun now but gradually as all his friends grow older and carve out solid lives for themselves he will find himself drifting on the margins . But that is his choice and he needs to figure out whether a life of selfish hedonism will still be worth it when he's old and grey, still has no permanent home or financial security. Sooner or later most people have to grow up!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I wonder if you're a tiny bit jealous of the freedom he has to go out and enjoy himself OP.

He may get fed up with the lifestyle eventually but provided he's paying his way then good luck to him.

Incidentally if he blew all the £7000 on champagne in Ibiza, what's he living on?
  • Poor_Single_lady
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand. The man came into some money, talked about options, went to Ibiza and then spent more if HIS money going to Thailand for 3 months.
    I'm not sure why this is a problem and to be honest I'm a bit jealous.

Are you trying to get people to say that he is wasting his life and the only way to live is to get married and have lots of babies.
    We are all different and I'm not sure this thread even rings true.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills