No more borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

Options

Comments

• poohbear59
    poohbear59 Posts: 4,866 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    No spends by me yesterday but Mr P needed £60 to pay off debts.

On Saturday when we went in the cottage it was heartbreaking. I wanted to cry but took deep breaths, DD got me my perching stool and we tackled the kitchen together. Mr P vacuumed, emptied bins, did the worst of the loo cleaning (even they were disgusting), and then we called in extra help or it would not have been ready on time. The carpets were encrusted with what we think was chocolate, all over the house, and sofas had trails of something, we think was yoghurt. Then the walls, in living room, hall, bathrooms, bedrooms all needed wiping down, lots of marks didn't come off so will have to paint over next Saturday. They were here a week. Our house never got like that with four small children and dog, cat etc.

This was the daughter of a friend, her husband and four adult children.

The new people arrived at 4 pm to a lovely clean cottage. Phew.

We went to the local pantomime on Saturday. DGD who is 4, nearly 5, was in it. It was a really good local production. We all enjoyed it and DVD did great. She was one of the dancers and one of the seven dwarves. Her other Grandad said she was the best on the stage. Mr P and DGS stayed at home as DGS has chicken pox.

I potted on my broccoli seedlings while sitting in the sun yesterday, and later made a huge batch of SW soup, and two batches of Bolognese sauce for men and me. All were chilled overnight ready for freezing today. I need to reorganize the freezer to get them in and had no energy left to do it so chilling overnight was a great excuse :D We had braising steak with leeks, carrots and peas and men had dumplings. Oh no. This has reminded me that I microwaved a Swede for dinner too. I know where it is..........:D

I have to go to the dentist again today as my tooth repair from last Tuesday broke off. The dentist did say that if it didn't work I might need a tier 3 repair. I looked it up on NHS website, saw it was hundreds and didn't dare think of it again. If it is needed then it is needed and I will have to pull out the stops to pay for it. Not sure if I have anything valuable to sell but will cross that bridge when I come to it.

We are looking after DGS today at 3pm so DD can have one of DGD' s friends around after school for a couple of hours. He is quite fragile so will probably just want cuddles.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
    'I had a black dog, his name was depression".
  • Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am both :(:o:mad: with your cottage customers, how disgraceful. I was taught by Mum and Dad to leave the cottage as we have found it, down to washing the kitchen floor!

I hope they will not be accepted again

hooray to Amateur Dramatics, Panto and lovely DGD :D
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • brizzledfw
    brizzledfw Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thats simply awful pooh...and these are known to you as well. I think that makes it so much worse, so let down somehow. Very very glad you could call in the troops though to help out.

You do need to take their damage deposit back though..even if she is a daughter of a friend. And if you can find a way of telling her how upsetting it was then say that too.

Well done on the PIP form..am sure they are complete hell

Panto sounds very restorative and love all your frugal family meals too. You can't beat a pineapple upside down cake..in fact I may make one this evening as a result :)

xx
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal :D
    Winter 17/18 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [October 30%] :T
    Declutter 60 items before 31.03.18 9/60 ** LSDs Target 10 for March 03/10 **AFDs 10/15 ** Sales/TCB Target 2018 £25/£500 NSDs Target 10 for March 02/10 Trying to be a Frugalista:rotfl::T
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    I am disgusted on your behalf re the cottage tenants. There is no excuse for leaving a place in a mess, but especially if they were all adults. Disgusting :mad: Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,417 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Absolutly no excuse for that all.
    So :mad: on your behalf.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • poohbear59
    Options
    Still don't know why they left it as they did. No sense in it at all.

Yup, damage deposit will be withheld and Mum will probably hear about it too. They are blacklisted.. I took photographs too, so have evidence.

By the way, it was the booking where she paid weeks late. Stress from beginning to end.

Panto and sunshine were great...

Are pineapples still on offer at 4ldi? We seem to have had a lot lately. They make a fine pineapple upsidedown pudding.

The dentist today didn't cost me anything extra. She tried again and it has already broken off so I have an appointment for two week's time for something a bit more secure but still not a tier 3 charge. Phew.

Another NSD.

Tonight we had 4ldi gammon, chips, peas, mushrooms,tomaoes, pineapple and fried egg. Yum.
    business mortgage £0))''(+ Barclay's business kitchen loan £0=Total paid off was £96105 PPI claimed and received £13527
  • poohbear59
    Options
    Once again i find that i have lost posts. I can't remember what i wrote last week.....

We have had a mixed few days.

On Friday we took the dog to the vets because the fatty lump on his leg has suddenly grown faster. The vet suggested removing the leg:eek:

We also got a quote for just under £700:eek:

We were so stunned we came home and forgot to pay for the consultation. They know us so they know we will pay.

After lots of discussion in the family we have decided that we will ask for a second opinion. The dog doesn't seem to be in any pain and it seems unrealistic to amputate his leg. He loves swimming more than anything else, and wouldn't be able to swim. Removal of the lump is much more complicated and more costly.....

It wasn't all doom and gloom this weekend. We had a lovely family Christening. Baby was gorgeous and was smiling at the priest as he spoke to him. Baby wore the Christening robe that I and all my children wore. In fact my mother too. It is 90 years old. I had a lovely day with my extended family.

We haven't spent anything this weekend except £13 by Mr P on tobacco. Meals have been leftovers from the freezer. I know someone's children calls leftover day, 'restaurant' day.

Menu plan for this week

Tuna supreme
    Pasta bolognese.
    Chicken and mushroom pie with mashed potato
    Sausage casserole
    Creamy vegetable pasta bake
    Roast beef on Sunday for all the family.

I have checked our finances but can't pay more than the £200 that I have paid towards our credit card debt. I paid £244 for the boiler repair, paid for two months car insurance as new company wanted first payment in advance, then next one goes out on 11th.

Mr P's pickup has gone to garage for a pre MOT check. The mechanics are on holiday for a week so no rush to make a payment yet.

I noticed that both telephone and TV cost have gone up this month so I will be investigating cheaper options later today.

• poohbear59
    Options
    I have remembered what I wrote about last week..

We received our mortgage statement for our house and we now owe £66700. It is going down fact now. Though my overpayment of £25 might be better spent on my high interest credit card.

I listed more items for sale on Facebook this weekend and did some research about a gold watch I inherited. It will probably be worth more in weight of gold than the actual 1950s watch. I paid to have it repaired and valued around 15 Years ago but it no longer works. Something g to think about....
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    oh Pooh, that's awful news on the dog. Such a difficult decision, absolutely agree on the second opinion.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • poohbear59
    Options
    hex2 wrote: »
    oh Pooh, that's awful news on the dog. Such a difficult decision, absolutely agree on the second opinion.

DS3 sent me $250 towards whatever needs to be done. He is good to us.
    DD and DSIL have offered to help too.

Someone here said to me 'What would the PDSA do in this situation?' As they are not moneymaking would they amputate or do lumpectomy with skin graft, or leave it alone? He is ten and a big dog. The lump is not cancerous, or highly unlikely to be as he had had it for years and we have been advised to leave it alone up to now.

As one of my good friends reminds me 'Life wasn't meant to be easy' . 😊
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure