Cheap airport lounge access

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I must be the only person on here who doesn't understand the obsession with getting into airport lounges.
    I used to have free access to the Aer Lingus lounge at LHR and while the booze was free and the seating more comfortable it was a terribly sterile place and certainly not worth paying for entry.
    I rather like the hustle and bustle theatricality of a busy airport and enjoy the people-watching which is a lot more interesting than the bored middle-management suits in the lounges.
    Along with priority boarding and Premium Economy paying for lounge access is a con practised on the travelling public.
    Stop being deluded.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I must be the only person on here who doesn't understand the obsession with getting into airport lounges.
    I used to have free access to the Aer Lingus lounge at LHR and while the booze was free and the seating more comfortable it was a terribly sterile place and certainly not worth paying for entry.
    I rather like the hustle and bustle theatricality of a busy airport and enjoy the people-watching which is a lot more interesting than the bored middle-management suits in the lounges.
    Along with priority boarding and Premium Economy paying for lounge access is a con practised on the travelling public.
    Stop being deluded.

It does depend on the airport. Stansted is an absolute sh!thole of an airport to wait, I don't understand why they leave it so late to announce gates leaving thousands of people crammed in to one small, noisy, hot, smelly little departure lounge when there's ample, more comfortable seating areas on the gate spurs. Luton is the same, dreadful place.

I actively avoid both for leaving the UK, and will happily pay for a lounge just for a quite place to wait.

London City, Gatwick, Heathrow
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Stoute8081
    Options
    Hi - did you see my thread above. I rang Caxton yesterday ahead of using their link in a few weeks time and they confirmed that when I purchase at the discounted rate it includes reservations of space for when we arrive (FOC) and also fast lane security access (FOC).
  • Stoute8081
    Options

Hi - did you see my thread above. I rang Caxton yesterday ahead of using their link in a few weeks time and they confirmed that when I purchase at the discounted rate it includes reservations of space for when we arrive (FOC) and also fast lane security access (FOC).
  • QSHLuc
    QSHLuc Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Early flight check in for the long journey back to the UK. I somehow managed to lose our boarding passes and airport parking details (Heathrow) between check in and the departure lounge. I was directed to the Qantas lounge for help, the staff were very helpful, printed off our passes again and invited us into the lounge to wait for our flight. First time we'd been in a lounge, this is definitely the way to travel!
  • Carol_B
    Carol_B Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    I have a dragon pass through my bank account. I was refused access into Escape T3 last month. I was informed that it only gave access if there was any availability in the lounge. I asked about booking in advance , The reply was no. The Dragon Pass is based on availability on the day no advance bookings. Makes you wonder if it’s worth paying extra on your account. On another occasion I was travelling Business class on United from LA to Hawaii ( 9 hour flight) . I was refused access to the business lounge as it was only available for international passengers ! 9 hours to Hawaii is internal but 7 hours Boston to Manchester qualifies.
    I will never travel United again.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carol_B wrote: »
    On another occasion I was travelling Business class on United from LA to Hawaii ( 9 hour flight) . I was refused access to the business lounge as it was only available for international passengers ! 9 hours to Hawaii is internal but 7 hours Boston to Manchester qualifies.

when I have flown LAX to Hawaii it has been less than 6 hours
    US carriers not giving lounge access on domestic flights is not unique to UA
  • stevenhp1987
    Options
    Carol_B wrote: »
    I have a dragon pass through my bank account. I was refused access into Escape T3 last month. I was informed that it only gave access if there was any availability in the lounge. I asked about booking in advance , The reply was no. The Dragon Pass is based on availability on the day no advance bookings. Makes you wonder if it!!!8217;s worth paying extra on your account. On another occasion I was travelling Business class on United from LA to Hawaii ( 9 hour flight) . I was refused access to the business lounge as it was only available for international passengers ! 9 hours to Hawaii is internal but 7 hours Boston to Manchester qualifies.

Dragonpass (and others) are always subject to availability.

I've only ever noticed problems using Dragonpass in the UK as the lounges are always full and booked out.

You can pay No1 Lounges a £5 booking fee to guarantee you a spot with your Dragonpass which I usually do flying out of Heathrow or Gatwick. Unfortunately they are not at all airports (I'm guessing this is Manchester?).

Never had any problems redeeming Dragonpass abroad where the lounges are usually quiet and empty.

Regarding UA not given you lounge access on a domestic flight. I'm not aware of any airline in the US that would give you lounge access on a domestic flight. The only exception is some airlines will give you access if you are flying New York to San Francisco (and vice versa).

You'd need to have status within their frequent flier scheme when flying domestic or be flying international.

Also as previously mentioned the flight time between LAX and Hawaii is around 5 hours 45mins.
  • Thomas48
    Options
    If you know an airport employee, they can get discounted lounge passes for you.
  • taxonomy
    Options
    Have just been looking at airport lounges. My question is...how long before my flight, can I check in my hold baggage? Do I have to wait to check it in...when Easy Jet open the flight? Given that you are allowed a certain amount of time to use an airport lounge, I'm after value for money. The past couple of years I've travelled from Manchester, I've turned up at the airport at least two hours prior to my flight. It does sound like a lot of time, but I've really only had around 35 - 40 minutes before I've had to go to boarding....at £26 per person, I'd say that maybe it isn't really value for money? Any info really appreciated :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback