Different mattress sent asking for £49 charge for return

Options

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Sebyle wrote: »
    Hi there I really need some help with this case as I am worried to run out if time.
    Hi, I bought a mattress from bed.co.uk which I received payment 10 days later (though they promise a next day delivery) the problem is that it is completely different from picture and description. It is also very bad quality, I choose that one as it ihas hand stitch border for support the one they sent me has a few point if sticthpch here and there.
    I sent them an email same morning I received ithe mattres, they wrote back to me claiming that it's the right bed even after sending pictures then they called me on my landline offering and exchange but I refused and I asked for collection and full refund they replied that they'll have to charge me £49 for return that's their policy.
    Basically they have covered themselves very well with small prints saying that products coulour ]and stitching might not match and also return policy which says to pay £49.
    After a few emails with no hope I search on the internet for reviews I was really chocked that the same happened to lots of people.
    I feel bullied and my rights breached. I know quite a lot about mattresses and this nothing like description and pictures. This mattres is totally different and awful quality. I need some help please, guide me on what to do, I have paid with my PayPal account on 16/02/2017.

Thank you
    Sebyle

Hi Sebyle

Our Consumer Rights guide might help you.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Sebyle
    Sebyle Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Hello again, hope you all good.
    I Ve had the reply from PayPal which is how we all expected:

We've reviewed your claim and determined that you're eligible for a refund of £218.90 GBP. Before we can issue this refund, we need you to return the item to the seller and provide us with online delivery tracking information before 20 March 2017.

What do I do with PayPal now? I am quite confused.
    I've sent the letter before action by email this morning and will now post it as well.

Thanks everybody
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello again, hope you all good.
    I Ve had the reply from PayPal which is how we all expected:

We've reviewed your claim and determined that you're eligible for a refund of £218.90 GBP. Before we can issue this refund, we need you to return the item to the seller and provide us with online delivery tracking information before 20 March 2017.

What do I do with PayPal now? I am quite confused.
    I've sent the letter before action by email this morning and will now post it as well.

Thanks everybody

Paypal will have given you a deadline by which you need to evidence your return.

If you fail to return or miss the deadline, the case will time-out and Paypal will release the funds back to the seller.

Sending the mattress tracked will be expensive. Paypal do offer reimbursement for some returns if you ask, but these are [from memory] capped at £15. I will try to dig out the link.

It has been known for some people to send a letter back to the retailer, via a trackable means, giving the retailer details on how to make a collection. I wouldn't advocate it, but it would perhaps allow Paypal to release the funds to you and for the company to make arrangements to collect the item.

Edit - found the link. https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns it may be (if you qualify) you could find a carrier and offset the £15 Paypal refund against it. But you would still be out of pocket, unless you pursue the difference from the retailer.
  • Sebyle
    Options
    I feel like closing the case with PayPal,
    will it go against me at court?
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 March 2017 at 7:48PM
    Options
    Have you actually contacted the seller and asked whether the intended to put " hand stitching" or whether they actually meant " machine stitching".

I personally would be pushing them
    On this point until I get a satisfactory answer, though this would have been better asked within the case
  • Sebyle
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    Have you actually contacted the seller and asked whether the intended to put " hand stitching" or whether they actually meant " machine stitching".

I personally would be pushing them
    On this point until I get a satisfactory answer, though this would have been better asked within the case

No I didn't ask this specific question but the description said hand stitch and anyway the bed is neither handstitch or machine stitche borders.

The case went straight to PayPal and PayPal hasn't even asked me for pictures.
  • hollydays
    edited 11 March 2017 at 2:55AM
    Options
    No I didn't ask this specific question but the description said hand stitch and anyway the bed is neither handstitch or machine stitche borders.

The case went straight to PayPal and PayPal hasn't even asked me for pictures.

It must be hand stitched or machine stitched , its got to be one or the other

It seems to me the issue was the mattress possibly wasn't hand stitched, ( but the inferior quality machine stitched) i.e. Not as described, so you'd have question the seller in writing through the case, as this was the basis of your claim wasn't it? It doesn't seem as though you've done this. If you hadn't added the pictures, how can Paypal decide you've been sent a different item?
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    It must be hand stitched or machine stitched , its got to one or the other!

It seems to me the issue was the mattress possibly wasn't hand stitched, ( but the inferior quality machine stitched) i.e. Not as described, so you'd have to
    Hammer this out with the seller in writing through the case, as this was the basis of your claim wasn't it? It doesn't seem as though you've done this.
    The OP has already won the Paypal case.

In post #63 we are told that Paypal said:
    The problem now is how to get the seller to pay for the return.
  • hollydays
    edited 11 March 2017 at 2:31AM
    Options
    I saw that :)
    What would you suggest?
    The op is going to return an item with no proof on the case of what was received.
    It's looking too little too late to get the seller to pay the return , as he's not admitted any wrongdoing and there's been no dialogue.
  • Sebyle
    Options
    Which option is best to click to close the dispute?

1mGyrI.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport