We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

O/S Daily Thursday 2 March 2017

13

Comments

  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 13,997 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Afternoon everyone.

    I've had better days! First thing was the very strange meeting this morning, one person produced papers from three years ago with some pages missing and wondered why we couldn't standardise the assessment. The others at the meeting were so patient and lovely whilst my mind had a ticker tape of sweary words running on a loop through it.

    Class wasn't much better - the truculent one was eventually 'expelled' from it as he was causing too much disruption and disturbance. God knows I've tried with him, today was too much and patience ran out. He complained about being treated like a five year old... yes, because that's exactly how he behaves!

    Lunch in Ardrishaig was lovely, an older retired couple who have a HUGE rescue eagle owl in a HUGE shed in the garden. :eek: I didn't expect that! She's laid an egg and was sitting on the nest. Lovely thing.

    Pineapple is good for arthritic bits, it's an enzyme in it called Bromelain which is meant to help. The juice is also good for tenderising meat. I love the stuff but it hurts my tongue and lips eventually, think it's because of the tenderising effect.

    Speky - Rumblin' Tum? Grey Gull? Argyll Inn? Yot Spot? - any bells?

    I'm off to de-stress! It's so lovely to read about everyone's day when I get back, thanks for posting.
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Good evening everyone :hello:

    This is going to be a moany post so feel free to skip it :D.

    We are still without heating or hot water. My engineer rang me this morning to say he had been taken ill in the night and needed to go to hospital for a scan to see if they would have to operate :eek:. His boss then rang me to say that 'hopefully' they would send someone out tomorrow to carry on with the work. I can't bear it, my anxiety is through the roof, I have the girls moaning and hubby too. My kitchen is packed up in boxes and the rest of the available space is filled with the engineer's tools and stuff. We also had no electricity for most of the day as the telegraph pole needed replacing outside our house. I am a gibbering wreck.

    But at least the power is back on now so I can have a restorative cup of tea, hubby is cooking tea for the girls and I have had another strip wash and washed my hair so I don't feel quite so grubby. I think I am just worried that it will all be left till after the weekend. I really hope the engineer is alright, he was a really nice young man.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    Good tip about pinapples for cold sores must be something in the acidity that helps I know if i have had a mouth ulcer my late Ma-in-law would say last thing before going to sleep rinse your mouth with milk,seemed to work as well. But then she was, (according to my children the Old Wife that all the tales were written about :))
    Widowed at 28, pre-war with three young children, she had no money to spend on Doctors, so she used her Grandma's old book of remedies that she had written out from the 19th century, most of them seemed to work quite well :).
    My late OH was 18 in 1951 before he ever saw a doctor and that was when he was having his medical for the RAF.
    No NHS until 1947-8 and doctors had to be paid for upfront :)
    My children thought their Granny was a bit of a witch as her cures worked so well :)

    Dd took her little dog to his second dog training class last night and he did as RR's dog did :) got a bit over excited, but he wasn't the only puppy to have an accident :) He is such a live wire and bouncy a very cute little westie who seems to have a bit of a kangaroo in him as he is always jumping in the air :)

    Speky last time I was in Liverpool I had a great time and the the people were fantastic.Most impressed by the enormous TV screen outside Lime Street station :)and the shops are better than London

    Hope everyone has had a great day, getting lighter every night now so spring will soon be here hopefully

    JackieO xx
  • topsyturphy
    topsyturphy Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    edited 2 March 2017 at 7:07PM
    Afternoon everyone

    Been missing again but have been reading each day. Now working 2 part time jobs so trying to build up my savings. Downside is think possibly my hernia op has failed so went back to Drs and he has referred me for a scan.

    Took ds2 to visit another college at the weekend as he is looking to do something more outdoors, I was really impressed by the tutors and overall feel of the place. Everyone took the time to give my ds2 all the information he needed, they weren't just interested in results it was more about the student experience.

    Os today kitchen cleaned & dw loaded. Steak & chips for dinner tonight as it's DH Birthday. I will do the chips in the actifry as better for me.

    Having a lazy day as working next 2 days then 6 days next week.

    Redruby - enjoy your new car.
    Tru - bet the hens are happy.
    Dumpling - hope your heating is sorted tomorrow, I do think you have been very patient.
    Gers - good on you for not putting up with bad behaviour
    Speky - spent many a good night out in Liverpool, such a good atmosphere.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,747 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Hello, a late one from me today, I just don't know where the time has gone.
    Visited a local garden centre this morning and all we bought was two coffees and a piece of coffee/ walnut cake ( naughty but we did share :D ). We called in to check our caravan on the way back - all ok.
    Dad came to tea and has just gone home and after a sunny but windy day, it is now raining hard.
    Have a good evening all
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • topsyturphy
    topsyturphy Posts: 1,842 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    Meant to say earlier

    Judi - as a mum it is so hard to watch your adult children make mistakes, you are being there for your son, but it has to be on your terms, as from what you are saying that is what you are doing, it still doesn't make it easy.

    FurryBofOz - I love Greenwich park, I took my ds2 to Greenwich park last
    Week, walked round the market, all round the museum and through the tunnel, think we did 14000 steps that day.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 2,736 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Something I learned a long time ago: when you start to feel the cold sores coming (anyone who has ever had them will know what I mean), apply a small blob of toothpaste - it really helps to stop the itch and drys them up quicker. Perhaps only suitable for around the house though ;) !
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,988 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Evening all (always makes me think of "Dixon of Dock Green" LOL) thanks to nmlc for starting the thread and hugs to those that need or want one.
    A bit of a non-day here as balance flung a wobbler so have been mainly horizontal. Lovely mince and dumplings for dinner last night so having an easy option of LO mince with pasta tonight. Weather is still really cold so good comfort food for a chilly night.
    Hope everyone has a good evening x
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,988 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Something I learned a long time ago: when you start to feel the cold sores coming (anyone who has ever had them will know what I mean), apply a small blob of toothpaste - it really helps to stop the itch and drys them up quicker. Perhaps only suitable for around the house though ;) !
    Or a wee blob of hand sanitizer gel (I always have some in my handbag) works in the same way:cool:
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    FBO and Topsyturphy I live 10 minutes walk from Greenwich Park! It is such a glorious place, I feel so lucky to live in this wonderful part of London. It is one of the reasons why I have dragged my feet for years about wanting/not wanting to downsize and move somewhere else.
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.