We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Large group meal ideas

2

Comments

  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,838 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    For puddings I always do a choice of something chocolatey and something meringuey. Anyone who doesn't like one of those two is never going to be happy or else likes cheese
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,277 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    If you do a huge chilli, you can do several options to serve it with to make it a bit more fun. At parties, chilli, jacket potatoes or wedges, massive bowl of cheap nachos (Tesco value are fine), a big bowl of plain rice plus grated cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream always go down well.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 7,596 Senior Ambassador
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    maryb wrote: »
    For puddings I always do a choice of something chocolatey and something meringuey. Anyone who doesn't like one of those two is never going to be happy or else likes cheese

    I agree - Pavlova is dead easy
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hollyberry
    Hollyberry Posts: 837 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    Last time we had a lot of family here for two nights I did an Italian night and a Mexican night.

    The Italian had homemade pizza, gnocchi, walnut sauce, rocket salad, mozzarella with avocado and tomato. The Mexican had slow cooker chili, sausages (some of the crowd don't like spice), bean salad, guacamole, salsa and nachos. I've also got a Belgian version in my repertoire: beef carbonnade, endive salad, jackets.

    But next time I'm definitely making that massaman curry! :)
  • maman
    maman Posts: 30,862 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    When we've had large family gatherings I do a beef in red wine casserole. I put plenty of onions, carrots and mushrooms in it so no need for extra veg. I serve with new potatoes (cook beforehand and ping in microwave) or you could do jackets.


    Alternatively I've made lasagnes. When catering for 30 people I've done 2 or 3 in those large foil baking trays (like the ones they sell for cooking turkey) and a few smaller ones. Plenty of salad and French sticks (easier than doing garlic bread) to go with those.


    I'd always recommend making something where you can freeze any leftovers so nothing's wasted.
  • jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Does everyone like curry?

    I will usually do a veggie option - we have a few veges in our family, but even those who like a bit of meat might like have plenty of veggies as well.
    With a curry, I might do a vege curry, using plenty of frozen peas / chick peas or bombay potatoes, mixing in some greens.

    I often do a ratatouille, roasting the vegetables to bring out the flavour. This goes with almost anything.

    I make sure everything is either freezable, or will at least last a few days in the fridge, so left-overs are well used.

    At the moment, do a version of coleslaw: winter veg very thinly sliced or cut into matchsticks, and marinaded in vinaigrette.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 36,584 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    rach_k wrote: »
    If you do a huge chilli, you can do several options to serve it with to make it a bit more fun. At parties, chilli, jacket potatoes or wedges, massive bowl of cheap nachos (Tesco value are fine), a big bowl of plain rice plus grated cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream always go down well.
    I'd second chilli.

    You could buy wedges or Aunt Bessie-style roast potatoes and maybe buy some garlic bread too.

    I used to make a chilli for our family get-together between Christmas and New Year and made my own wedges and garlic bread but it depends how confident you are.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    A third one who would do a big batch of chilli, meaty, veggie or both.

    Serve with a big bowl of rice, cheap frozen shop bought garlic bread, a big bowl of mixed salad leaves and maybe a normal baguette sliced with butter available.

    Easy to do and put out for people to help themselves and not much faff involved.

    Personally I wouldn't bother with dessert maybe just some cheese and crackers.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,626 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Chilli,s and currys are brill and easily freezable for leftovers.

    Good old pulled pork is a good slow cooker one.

    Decent rolls, coleslaw, salad etc

    Brownies and Icecream are a good crowd pleaser.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

    £300/£130
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,988 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Trifle is good for an old fashioned crowd pleaser. If I'm not going for a curry/chilli/lasagne option I like to make a vat of chicken casserole, loads of veg in the stew so just baked spuds or crusty bread needed to serve. If you are catering for conservative tastes sometimes roasting a couple of chickens or a big pork joint and making a big pan of roast tatties goes down well, a bowl of stuffing, a tray of yorkshire puds, some veg and a big jug of gravy and job done . Most folk like a roast dinner and once you've done the prep it more or less looks after itself.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.