We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Large group meal ideas
bigmaz
Posts: 1,252 Forumite
Hi guys
I am going to be having my family over at the weekend, and wondering what kind of things I can make. I have a slow cooker, was thinking maybe a curry, and a big bowl of rice. Any other ideas? I have recently moved into my own flat, so getting to grips with cooking, so something not too complicated, haha!!
Thanks
I am going to be having my family over at the weekend, and wondering what kind of things I can make. I have a slow cooker, was thinking maybe a curry, and a big bowl of rice. Any other ideas? I have recently moved into my own flat, so getting to grips with cooking, so something not too complicated, haha!!
Thanks
0
Comments
-
Curry and rice is great or maybe a chilli in the slow cooker with some stuffed jacket spuds and salad. I always find the spuds go down well, cook as normal and scoop the cooked potato out, mash with butter, cheese, onion, bacon bits....what ever you fancy and refill the skins....you can do this ahead of time and just reheat on the day with a bit of freshly grated cheese on top to brown off."Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.0
-
Curry and rice is great or maybe a chilli in the slow cooker with some stuffed jacket spuds and salad. I always find the spuds go down well, cook as normal and scoop the cooked potato out, mash with butter, cheese, onion, bacon bits....what ever you fancy and refill the skins....you can do this ahead of time and just reheat on the day with a bit of freshly grated cheese on top to brown off.
Man, that sounds like a great idea!! I am hungry just thinking about it, haha!! Thank you
0 -
When I have a big meal coming up I keep my eyes open for a cheap leg of lamb and then make a slow cook Thai massaman curry. I always get asked for the recipe afterwards - I don't think I do anything that radical, it is just the long slow cook that makes it so good. serve with a crunchy Asian salad, rice, thai prawn crackers.I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
& Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
When I have a big meal coming up I keep my eyes open for a cheap leg of lamb and then make a slow cook Thai massaman curry. I always get asked for the recipe afterwards - I don't think I do anything that radical, it is just the long slow cook that makes it so good. serve with a crunchy Asian salad, rice, thai prawn crackers.
What do you put in the slow cooker with the lamb to make that?0 -
you can buy massaman paste pretty widely now - Tesco etc, or an Asian supermarket. Add onion, baby new spuds, handful of peanuts, can of coconut milk. If you have it add lime juice, thai fish sauce.
I cube the lamb as my SC is fairly small.
Making it in the slow cooker is a healthy choice as no moisture is lost during cooking so you only need 1 can of coconut milk for a whole leg of lamb.
finish with chopped peanuts and fresh corianderI’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
& Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
you can buy massaman paste pretty widely now - Tesco etc, or an Asian supermarket. Add onion, baby new spuds, handful of peanuts, can of coconut milk. If you have it add lime juice, thai fish sauce.
I cube the lamb as my SC is fairly small.
Making it in the slow cooker is a healthy choice as no moisture is lost during cooking so you only need 1 can of coconut milk for a whole leg of lamb.
finish with chopped peanuts and fresh coriander
Sounds awesome, thank you!! How many does that feed?0 -
about 10? Depends on size of the leg of lamb and whether you pad out with added pepper, mushrooms, aubergine, whatever (not traditionally in a Massaman but I am not strict about that sort of thing).
I cheat with a starter of the frozen spring rolls/prawn toasts etcI’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
& Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0 -
about 10? Depends on size of the leg of lamb and whether you pad out with added pepper, mushrooms, aubergine, whatever (not traditionally in a Massaman but I am not strict about that sort of thing).
I cheat with a starter of the frozen spring rolls/prawn toasts etc
Sorry, one more question, how long do you cook it? Do you cook it on low?0 -
I'd say don't scoop out the potato and add stuff to it as you reduce peoples choices if they turn out to not like one of those things, or be allergic to them.... you can provide those things in bowls enabling them to mix them into their spud if they wish.
Remember: Every time you fiddle with something you run the risk that you're creating more work for yourself to reduce people's options.
Additionally, you could buy a big/long loaf and plonk that with a knife/butter on the table for people to help themselves.... optionally start the loaf off by cutting the first 6 slices so nobody's "scared" to be the first person to cut it.0 -
Sorry, one more question, how long do you cook it? Do you cook it on low?
all day on low - 10 hours or so. The longer the better. I usually brown the meat first in a pan, or start the SC on high for an hour to get it going if not.
I often make the day before then reheat. If you do that then you can remove the hardened fat that rises to the surface for an even healthier optionI’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
& Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards
