Cost of calling 0844 numbers?

Options

Comments

• DaveAA
    DaveAA Posts: 87 Forumite
    edited 22 April 2013 at 5:03PM
    Options
    I put 0844 numbers into Google, and DBS came up on the first page, so I had a read about the charges for their 0844 numbers. People phoning their 0844 numbers pay 5p per minute + VAT to make the call from their landline phone, and the owner of the number receives a rebate of 1p per minute on every call received.
    The call charge is about 5p/min from a BT line (or from Sky). From Virgin it's more like 14p/min.

All of those callers are paying a 5p/min revenue share (soon to be known as the "service charge") built in to the call price, of which the called party receives 1p/min and their phone provider retains 4p/min.

BT are not allowed to add to the call price. Other networks are unregulated and add their own fees on top of the revenue share that they collect on behalf of the called party.
    However, if you phone an 0844 number from a mobile if varies according to your mobile provider, as I think someone said earlier in the thread. It seems the charges fluctuate depending on the number – ultimately they are “revenue sharing numbers”, so it depends on how much revenue the company you are calling is getting.
    Mobile operators charge 25p to 45p/min. This is a huge markup on the 5p/min revenue share they collect from the caller and pass on to the other telecoms company. Whereas landline operators generally add a fixed markup on top of the revenue share leading to a variable amount to be paid by the caller, mobile operators add a variable amount to the revenue share leading to a fixed (and very high) amount to be paid by the caller.
    0845 are between 3-5p per minute from a landline, and are known as “low call”, apparently because they’re the same cost as a local call, which is a “low” cost.
    It has been illegal to refer to 0845 numbers as "local rate" or as a "lo-call" rate, since 2005. If you see a company still using these terms you can be sure that they either don't know what they are talking about, or are deliberately trying to deceive the reader.

0845 numbers are 3p to 5p/min only if you haven't got an "inclusive" call package. Currently BT and several other landline providers do not charge callers for 0845 calls if they have an inclusive calls package. These numbers remain expensive from mobiles.

Additionally, landline operators stopped charging a "local rate" for 01 and 02 calls in 2005. There is only a single "geographic rate" and it has no relation to distance called. Even then, most callers do not pay this rate. Most callers are on an "inclusive calls" package where calls to 01 and 02 numbers of up to one hour duration attract no charges beyond the monthly package price.

However, many changes are coming in the next year. I wrote a more detailed piece here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4557431
    Businesses using 084, 087 or 09 numbers will soon need to display details of the inbuilt Service Charge under Ofcom's "unbundled tariffs" plans.

Businesses using 084, 087 or 09 numbers for customer service, complaints, renewals, etc, will need to swap to an 01, 02, 03 or 080 number before the Consumer Rights Directive comes into effect June 2014.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    edited 20 April 2013 at 1:48PM
    Options
    I called a local number and spoke to a district nurse inside the building but she said there was no alternative to the 0844 number for calling the surgery.
    There IS - but it is very likely the surgery do not let their staff know what it is so they can continue fleecing their patients.

If she was part of the practice, that local number you called may reveal what the number is. It is usual for a series of local numbers to be in use and one will be the equivalent to the 0844 number patients are told to call.

If you have inclusive minutes, try surrounding numbers and see what transpires!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Charnwood
    Options
    I called a local number and spoke to a district nurse inside the building but she said there was no alternative to the 0844 number for calling the surgery.
    Deja vu? I'm sure someone else said that - word for word - a few years ago on this thread. Copy and paste?!?
  • DaveAA
    Options
    Looks like several useful developments have happened in recent days:

http://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/10373744.GPs_in_0844_phone_line_U_turn/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2315541/Is-end-premium-rate-lines-GP-NHS-orders-doctors-drop-40p-minute-charges.html

NHS England intervened to stop a group of three surgerys changing to an 0844 number.

Now they need to do something about the thousand or more that should have stopped using 0844/0845 numbers, more than three years ago.
    Businesses using 084, 087 or 09 numbers will soon need to display details of the inbuilt Service Charge under Ofcom's "unbundled tariffs" plans.

Businesses using 084, 087 or 09 numbers for customer service, complaints, renewals, etc, will need to swap to an 01, 02, 03 or 080 number before the Consumer Rights Directive comes into effect June 2014.
  • TurkishTutor
    TurkishTutor Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just came across this old thread - having problems with NOT being able to find any alternative to the hated 0844 numbers for some companies.

Anyhow, I read with astonishment that some are (rightly) complaining about paying 5p or even 10p a minute for this.From either my mobile (T Mobile) or landline (EE broadband and phone) it is a minimum of 40p a minute. I guess this must apply to the majority of people these days too (as there are so many alternatives to BT), although I should think many, especially elderly folks, might not be aware of it.

I refuse point blank to call anyone at this rate, and nowadays when renewing house insurance, car insurance etc, decline any company which uses these numbers (and tell them so).

I agree with other posters that if Martin took up this cause he would have lots of support!
  • theloft
    theloft Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Options
    I refuse point blank to call anyone at this rate, and nowadays when renewing house insurance, car insurance etc, decline any company which uses these numbers (and tell them so).
    I agree with other posters that if Martin took up this cause he would have lots of support!

Hear! Hear! If we all did this and I certainly do then we might see a change in the money grabbing (usually highly profitable) organisations that use 0844 and also the dreaded 09 numbers.
    "0844 COSTS YOU MORE"
  • viv0147
    viv0147 Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/weq4u-0870-0800-0871-0844/id496211344?mt=8
    This is brilliant for a mobile you put the number you want to dial and ring if you are put on hold you press 9 and it sort of stops the call then when you get an answer it reconnects so you save being charged for waiting and it a free app and free to use.
    Low Carb High Fat is the way forward I lost 80 lbs

Since first using Martins I have saved thousands
  • DaveAA
    edited 9 May 2013 at 7:36PM
    Options

You should also ask "when are you going to declare the Service Charge for your 084 or 087 telephone number?".

You should also ask "when are you going to activate the matching 034 or 037 telephone number that has been reserved since 2007?".

The Draft Bill on Consumer Rights was announced in the Queens Speech yesterday. This will require certain types of phoneline move from 084 and 087 numbers to numbers that are "charged at the basic rate". It will be law before the end of 2013.

Ofcom's "Unbundled Tariffs" for 084, 087 and 09 non-geographic numbers will also be law shortly after that.

• Womble_Queen
    Womble_Queen Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    Good afternoon, an order I made via the internet with them, didn't arrive. Well, after four phone calls they finally refunded me. So i'm satisfied. However, I am not sure I will order from them again for a long time.
  • John_in_Hindhead
    Options
    Unfortunately to contact UK Land Registry you have to go through their 0844 892 1111 'customer support team' - so far as I can see you can only use the 0300 numbers (listed on saynoto0870.com) if you know the extension number dealing with your case
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure