Neighbour asking for half fence costs

Options

Comments

• alumende27
    Options
    The fence is owned by whoever pays for it whether or not they are required to maintain a boundary.

Not entirely accurate. Responsibility for maintaining a fence can change over time irrespective of who paid for it originally, depending on who has assumed responsibility for it. Hence the question in the TA6.
  • 27cool
    27cool Posts: 267 Forumite
    Options
    Just because you own or built a fence does not give you any obligation to maintain it if you do not want to
    In my experience it is always better to share the expense.
  • springdreams
    Options
    Get a copy of your deeds and look for any T marks on the boundry lines. Those that have the T mark are your responsibility to maintain.
    squeaky wrote: »
    Smiles are as perfect a gift as hugs...
    ..one size fits all... and nobody minds if you give it back.
    ☆.。.:*・° Housework is so much easier without the clutter ☆.。.:*・°
    SPC No. 518
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    dsdhall wrote: »
    Not entirely accurate. Responsibility for maintaining a fence can change over time irrespective of who paid for it originally, depending on who has assumed responsibility for it. Hence the question in the TA6.

It is accurate, you buy it you own it. Maintaining the boundary is a separate issue to owning the fence so the TA6 will not assist with ownership of the fence.
  • boliston
    boliston Posts: 3,012 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder why all this obsession with fencing? I'm sure other countries do not always have fences round gardens unless they need to stop livestock straying. It would not particularly bother me if my garden had a fence or not.
  • alumende27
    Options
    the TA6 will not assist with ownership of the fence.

You are being needlessly petty. The TA6 asks who owns (or accepts responsibility to maintain or repair) the boundary features. As we've already established a fence is a boundary feature. Therefore the TA6 can assist with the ownership of the fence.

Nevertheless, as I and others have already indicated several times it would be good to come to an amicable agreement with the neighbours. Boundary disputes (including who owns the fence) can get ugly and expensive quickly.
  • Billy_Bullocks
    Options
    dsdhall wrote: »
    You are being needlessly petty. The TA6 asks who owns (or accepts responsibility to maintain or repair) the boundary features. As we've already established a fence is a boundary feature. Therefore the TA6 can assist with the ownership of the fence.

Nevertheless, as I and others have already indicated several times it would be good to come to an amicable agreement with the neighbours. Boundary disputes (including who owns the fence) can get ugly and expensive quickly.

The boundary and the fence are two different things, I don't think you comprehend that fact.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    The boundary and the fence are two different things, I don't think you comprehend that fact.

I think you're being deliberately obtuse. He isn't talking about the boundary, he's talking about the boundary features which would normally include the fence. The TA6 may not be definitive but it may give an indication as to who owns them, unlike the deeds which would at best normally only indicate the responsibility for maintaining the boundary, which is not the same thing.
  • alumende27
    Options

Sigh... Read what I am writing, not what you think I am writing.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You've just moved in; do you think you might get on with the neighbours long-term?

Honestly, I would take any notions of boundary maintenance or fence ownership, and just throw them out of the window. The fence is knackered, you probably both want a fence - split the cost and get something with which you're both happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure