Feeling unhappy

First of all, I have mental health issues that lye beneath me which is depression that makes things uncomfortable often and feel there's no where to turn to, but this morning my mother was not in a good mood because out of all things she began her day by getting ready, to go food shopping and was looking for the radio.

I like to move and tidy stuff and she couldn't find the charger so went ballistic at me as am the first point of contact because I'm OCD. Afterwards, once my brothers came home she told one of them to clean their room otherwise they would be thrown from the house - so he did, but she kept on bossing him around as mothers do saying put things where they should be.

He's got an attitude on him saying in a tone of voice 'What does it look like am doing?!'. She wasn't having none of it, started dragging him around the room while he screamed from the top of his lungs 'Get off me! Get off me!'.

I then stormed into the room where it was happening and started emotionally telling my mum to get off him. I don't things like that lightly. She then charged at me for no reason saying 'Don't you [me] start either!' then ordered us out from the house.

She is clearly in a bad mood, but I wasn't in a good way at all regarding my mental health so phoned the 111 service as the last resort while outside standing in the cold for almost an hour and explained everything what went on.

As I write this, I feel a bit 'off' :(.

Comments

• Caroline_a
    Caroline_a Posts: 4,071 Forumite
    Sounds like a pretty standard parent/child argument to me. I see no reason to call 111, just a bit of shouting. Maybe get out of the house for a good walk, leave them to it.
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    hope things have calmed down now at home.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • I wouldn't call dragging someone around the room as a normal argument.
    Tesco Loan - 9177
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    I wouldn't call this a normal parent/child argument !

I fail to understand why parents treat their children like this !!

You don't say what age you are ? Is there any possibility of getting your own place? Even a studio flat or small 1 bedroom. I think you'd be far happier away from that type of stress in your life !

My mother was like this, Infact worse. I ran out the door at 16 and never ever went back ! Best thing I ever did. And she taught a very valuable lesson, how not to parent my children.
  • Caroline_a
    I'm reading this as an adult brother, sounds like mum has had enough of him treating the home as a hotel. Of course I may be wrong....
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,649 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    OP
    What age are you and what age is your brother?
    Does your Mother have mental health issues too? (because her behaviour as you describe it doesn't sound normal to me).

What happened when you called 111?
    Where are you now?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 25 February 2017 at 9:39PM
    Thanks for your responses.

I am 24 with autism and living at home with my mum and three brothers. I think living in my own place that I'd feel better without the added stress, but am saving really hard. I've saved £1,000 so far.

Once phoning the 111 service they advised me to contact the police when outside at the time, which I did, but the call dropped. The PCSO arrived at my door when finding our address on his system with my mobile number. He explained whether everything was alright, took our names and date of birth then off he went - my mother was out food shopping at the time and no further action will be taken.

I have been in touch with Mental Health Matters and Samaritans in the past hour because I have started feeling a lot worse, basically my father who lives not far because they've both split up, text my mum attempting to threaten her regarding what happened today.

Sometimes, I feel like ending it all and ending the torment and constant bickering by ending my life. However, I don't want to worry them. I've just about had enough. :mad:
  • Caroline_a
    If your mum and dad have recently split up I think you need to give her a bit of leeway. She'll be stressed having to cope as a single parent - are any of your brothers still at school? She'll probably be worried about bills and money and probably untidy rooms and attitude from your brother didn't help at all. You say that you are stressed, so just imagine how your mum must be feeling, particularly if she's having abusive messages from your dad. Time for you boys to step up and help her!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Caroline_a wrote: »
    If your mum and dad have recently split up I think you need to give her a bit of leeway. She'll be stressed having to cope as a single parent - are any of your brothers still at school? She'll probably be worried about bills and money and probably untidy rooms and attitude from your brother didn't help at all. You say that you are stressed, so just imagine how your mum must be feeling, particularly if she's having abusive messages from your dad. Time for you boys to step up and help her!

I think you're not helping - you don't know us. For your information, they split up four years ago.

We help her in much way as possible by doing cleaning duties on a daily basis as mentioned and paying for rent, thank you very much.
  • Aced2016
    Aced2016 Posts: 293 Forumite
    Try speak with them on Monday or citizens advice.

They could get you some support perhaps in getting your place. That way you could visit your mum and perhaps help out a bit, instead of the strain of living together.

And ending things is not an option ! You living and breathing and life will get better ! Start by making plans for your own place. Then join some new groups and take part in some activities. Life really can get better ! You just need to make some plans for your future :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure