OS Daily Thursday 23rd Feb

edited 23 February 2017 at 8:08AM in Old Style MoneySaving
34 replies 3.8K views
redrubyredruby Forumite
7.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 23 February 2017 at 8:08AM in Old Style MoneySaving
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning all,

Very windy with rain here and set in for the day I think, off to work for me its been a manic busy week but I hope today might be a bit quieter due to the weather.

Something and chips for dinner I will go and look in the freezer after this if all else fails we can have egg beans and chips.

Bo shopping coming tonight as I did not order any but have to go and do some paperwork on my car at the weekend and we have to pass an Aldi so will pop in there and stock up.

Right better get on have good days all xx

TA good luck today xx

Replies

• Morning all
    Had to collect the boy child from work at 6am this morning so am up with the larks, will be taking him to the station in a bit so he can go back to work he has to take work as it is offered as he is self employed so at the moment no more work after today till Sunday so he can have a good rest
    Will walk the dog in a bit now it is light the wind is defiantly picking up but no rain yet
    Dinner tonight is sausages and I may even do some ironing
    Have a great day whatever you are up to and stay safe x
  • Hard_Up_HesterHard_Up_Hester Forumite
    4.6K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all
    Fish fed and my L&M has a cuppa in bed.
    Finally had paper delivered at midday yesterday, I cannot get the people higher up the food chain to understand that if they want me to print documents all day I'll need paper to print it on.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • TravellingAbuelaTravellingAbuela Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning folks and thanks REDRUBY for the start.

What a horrible morning - rain battering the windows and the wind howling. And it's forecast to get worse as the day goes on. Not the best of days for our trek to Leeds for the Oncology appt, which involves two bus and one train ride each way. We'll be like drowned rats when we get there. Trying not to dwell on what the scan results might hold but it's not easy. Needless to say I didn't sleep very well.

The carvery was enjoyed by all last night but oh it was so busy, the penalty for going when it's half term! Made a pig of myself and finished off with a slice of lemon tart, berries and cream.

Have a good day all and (HUGS) to all the poorlies, worried and sad who want one. CSARINA hope your appointment gives you some answers and you are soon feeling better. JUDI thinking of you. Take care whatever you are up to. xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • trutru Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sorry, I forgot who mentioned cables the other day (was it you [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gers[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]?), but it's the same here. When I moved the telly a couple of weeks ago to start decorating, I had to untangle a mass of cables. It took ages and I almost gave up! As I was sorting, I found an extension lead with nothing plugged into it and two HDMI cables which weren't connected to anything. Why not remove them as they were unplugged, why just leave them there? I've never known a woman do this, it must be a man thing :D [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    Nelski wrote: »

Tru I hadnt heard of Parsons so I googled...how gorgeous ...I want a scampi cuddle :)
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He doesn't like cuddles, will a lick and a pat on the head do? :D
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]karcher I can't believe the dog owner didn't thank you, how rude. If Scampi escaped and someone found him, they'd end up telling me to shut up because I'd keep telling them how grateful I was :D A bunch of flowers or a box of chocolates wouldn't go amiss, here's hoping she'll pop round at some point with some.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I rearranged my day yesterday, by 10am the sky was black so I decided to take Scampi out then, before it poured with rain. It started raining just before we got back – a few spots then it stopped :D The strong wind blew most of the clouds away. The sky was grey for the rest of the day. It's been really windy all night and the rain has just started.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I had a bit of a stiff neck from lunchtime yesterday, it was very sore by the time I went bed and it kept waking me up. I can hardly move my head this morning and there's pain from my neck to underneath my shoulder blade. I have no idea what I've done to cause it but I'm not all happy about it, lol. I was going to plough through work today but even sitting typing this hurts. I'll have a shower and switch the setting to needle with the water hot, rub some voltarol on then see how it feels.[/FONT]

:beer:
    Bulletproof
  • edited 23 February 2017 at 7:18AM
    nmlcnmlc Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017 at 7:18AM
    Morning everyone

redruby - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Now light, windy but trying to rain every now and then, so damp underfoot too.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 and DS2 still in their pits, although DS2 getting ready to get in the shower.

Dinner last night was pork steaks, mash, carrots, cabbage, broc and gravy, dessert was a choice of cake/tea loaf/ice cream for those that wanted some. I remembered to get the chicken in from the outside freezer and put in to the indoor freezer but then forgot to get it out to defrost - so tonight we'll be having fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg and I'll defrost the chicken overnight tonight and we'll have that tomorrow night.

Work yesterday was a waste of time, there had been something go wrong with the computer system/internet overnight and we had no services at all, no computers, no phones - technical support said internet provider was looking into it and had been during the night but didn't know what was wrong, it was just our office, it's awful when it's like that because when this happens we can't even use the photocopier as everything is internet linked. So I couldn't do the extra hours as they weren't going to pay me extra when there was nothing to do, they didn't know when it was going to be fixed, so hoping for my colleagues they've been able to sort overnight or they have another awful day. This happened once before and we were without services for 2 and a half days - hope that doesn't happen this time! I'm supposed to be working Saturday morning, if they decide not to open I hope someone will get in touch with me.

Now on days' off, so will get on with doing all my normal chores, washing, drying and ironing etc, will run the hoover over also. I'll also be heading into town first thing to visit the building society and the bank.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • edited 23 February 2017 at 8:06AM
    FlossFloss Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 23 February 2017 at 8:06AM
    RR, just read yesterday's thread, where you said about paying for your new car... I hope it's just your insurance & warranty paperwork they want to do, I would be doubtful about paying before collection, especially if it is being kept in a compound. I worked for a Peugeot dealership back in the late 1990s and they would only take buyers payment when their car was.collected / delivered as we had a couple of incidents, one where a whole transporter caught fire on the way from the regional delivery centre, and also when a storm blew an old wall onto 3 brand new cars 2 days before they were due for delivery on registration day! Because the cars still belonged to Peugeot & hadn't been paid for by the buyers they were all replace.
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning all,

All quiet here at the moment. No sign of Prodigal but he will turn up again at some point. I am having a battle with head ruling heart at the moment, my heart is close to winning but sense prevails. I have these dreams that scare me. Mainly that I find him dead on my doorstep. He's knocked the door but I haven't heard and dies waiting for me to open the door.

I have my Grandson today. It's half term. He will keep me busy.

Storm Doris has taken hold. Lots if wind and rain.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
  • ancientofdaysancientofdays Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Morning all, a fast post before heading out into the wind and rain.

Hope all goes well for you TA and csarina2.

I'll be late if I don't get myself in gear, see you later
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • GersGers Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    tru wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sorry, I forgot who mentioned cables the other day (was it you [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Gers[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]?), but it's the same here. When I moved the telly a couple of weeks ago to start decorating, I had to untangle a mass of cables. It took ages and I almost gave up! As I was sorting, I found an extension lead with nothing plugged into it and two HDMI cables which weren't connected to anything. Why not remove them as they were unplugged, why just leave them there? I've never known a woman do this, it must be a man thing :D [/FONT][/FONT]

Yes, was me, and I also removed a bag full of unwanted cables. Some were just lying loose and others I removed the unwanted machines as they were no longer used. Mind you I had to cut two wires from the TV end as they were in so tight! There's still a mass of cables.

No Doris yet - it's damp out but no wind. Snow is forecast so I'm keeping an eye out for later today. I'm teaching until 1pm and meant to be heading to Glasgow though I'm watching the traffic cameras on the Rest.

The living room is empty of everything except the two sofas, the chair and the TV corner. I'm so looking forward to the room being painted, especially the bits which are bare plasterboard and / or skimmed. After 8 months I've given up on the builder coming back, as promised, to do more work!

I hope everyone is able to keep safe and warm - thinking of TA and Mr TA especially!

Happy Thursday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Good Morning everyone and like a newborn baby its wet 'n' windy here in Kent at the moment I was hoping to have a quiet day indoors today as DD is off so I have no boy sitting duties but found my cable for my mobile has some how got damaged so I shall have to go to the local Car Phone warehore to get a new one ,such a nuisance as I had planned to do several things indoors this morning ,still hopefully as the weather is bad it will mean the car parks are less full :)
    Gers any chance of the recipe for the brownies .DGS and I made some with the recipe of the 'net last week and it was such a faff using three seperate bowls and god knows how many ingredients.Its was called The Best Brownie Recipe Ever and it was nice but took ages to do.We need a quick and easy one if possible pretty please :):):)

Received a £15.00 M&S voucher for a survey I did ages ago and sent off and had forgotten about :) so I may have a quick peek in the shop when I am down at the big precinct,although I can't think of anything I need at the moment so I might just put it with my other ones I try to save them up until I have a good amount and buy something nice .

Hope you are all warm and dry and the big storm doesn't make too much damage

Take care chums
    JackieO xx
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND DEALS