BT Price Rises - BT Mobile tie

As per other BT users, I have just received my BT price rise email

I am currently an Infinity customer with anytime calls

I also have two BT mobile deals.

With the price rises triggering the option of serving notice to BT to leave, would I also be able to leave the BT Mobile service, as otherwise if I leave the internet/phone service, my mobile charge would double.


Thanks
«1

Replies

  • wlamwlam Forumite
    19 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi,

    I was in the same position as you, and I also posted this in one of the other BT threads.

    Basically from what I read in the BT Mobile T&Cs, if you leave BT Broadband because of the price rise, then your BT mobile discount will continue to apply until the end of the minimum term of the BT mobile contract.

    Once the BT mobile minimum term ends, only then would you then start paying the the extra 5 pounds per month.

    I do not expect you will be able to end the BT mobile contract before the minimum term, without paying fees.
  • boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    wlam wrote: »
    Hi,

    I was in the same position as you, and I also posted this in one of the other BT threads.

    Basically from what I read in the BT Mobile T&Cs, if you leave BT Broadband because of the price rise, then your BT mobile discount will continue to apply until the end of the minimum term of the BT mobile contract.

    Once the BT mobile minimum term ends, only then would you then start paying the the extra 5 pounds per month.

    I do not expect you will be able to end the BT mobile contract before the minimum term, without paying fees.
    Do you have a link to the thread or the terms that you are referring to please?
  • wlamwlam Forumite
    19 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately the forum doesn't let me post links yet but the T&Cs are on the BT website, if you do a Google search for "Your BT Terms and Conditions" this should get you to the right place.

    I have also pasted the relevant section 17 from the BT Mobile T&Cs below.


    17. When you get other services or equipment from us

    We often sell a number of services together. We might give a discount, benefit or offer if you (or someone in your home) take more than one service from us. If you get any of these discounts, benefits or offers and then end any of the other services, we may have to increase the charges for the service. If that’s the case, we’ll tell you when you (or someone else) contact us to end the other service. However, we won't increase the charges and you’ll keep getting the discount, benefit or offer during the rest of your minimum term if:
    you or someone else in your house ends one of the other services as described in clauses 14b, 14d and 14e; or
    you end the BT Broadband service because of a change to it which gives you the right to leave.
  • Marcio45Marcio45 Forumite
    238 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have done the same.
    Cancelled phone line + broadband + tv from BT due to the price increase. On the various calls with them they had told me i could cancel everything without penalty, including the mobile sim.
    But on the final call - i had to wait for a callback for the cancellation to be processed - i was told that i could not cancel the mobile sim penalty free.
    As i had enough of dealing with them for about a week i just accepted that i would probably lose the £5 monthly discount, instead of risking an early termination fee.
    Now this new info brings a new light to the subject and i will be watching carefull my next bill in mid march.
  • smitchy73smitchy73 Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was advised today, that if i left BT broadband, also have Infinity 1, I would lose my £5 discount for each of my two SIM's, which were one day out of the 14 day cooling off period when I received the price increase letter. It could be though as wlam has said above, if you bought them all together in a deal you can get out, I only got my SIM cards a few weeks ago, so didn't take out at the same time.
    Thanks to all the competition posters.
  • TVPIPETVPIPE Forumite
    133 Posts
    wlam wrote: »
    Unfortunately the forum doesn't let me post links yet but the T&Cs are on the BT website, if you do a Google search for "Your BT Terms and Conditions" this should get you to the right place.

    I have also pasted the relevant section 17 from the BT Mobile T&Cs below.


    17. When you get other services or equipment from us

    We often sell a number of services together. We might give a discount, benefit or offer if you (or someone in your home) take more than one service from us. If you get any of these discounts, benefits or offers and then end any of the other services, we may have to increase the charges for the service. If that’s the case, we’ll tell you when you (or someone else) contact us to end the other service. However, we won't increase the charges and you’ll keep getting the discount, benefit or offer during the rest of your minimum term if:
    you or someone else in your house ends one of the other services as described in clauses 14b, 14d and 14e; or
    you end the BT Broadband service because of a change to it which gives you the right to leave.


    Thanks for this quote from the T&C. I have spoken with BT, and I can retain the discount to the end of the BT mobile contract, even when leaving the broadband,tv and phone service. Just quoted the Section 17 as mentioned by wlam user - and BT agreed....
  • edited 21 February 2017 at 7:44PM
    boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 21 February 2017 at 7:44PM
  • Hmm, so in theory I could order a BT sim now, then in 14 days time cancel my BB deal due to the price increase and I should be ok??
  • boatmanboatman Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Working the system somewhat but it would appear yes....
  • wlamwlam Forumite
    19 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    TVPIPE wrote: »
    Thanks for this quote from the T&C. I have spoken with BT, and I can retain the discount to the end of the BT mobile contract, even when leaving the broadband,tv and phone service. Just quoted the Section 17 as mentioned by wlam user - and BT agreed....

    Thanks, and can confirm having also spoken with BT recently, once I mentioned BT Mobile T&Cs section 17, the customer agent went away to check, and with no argument, confirmed the discount would remain in place. I will still be checking my bills carefully though!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides