We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

GB Online February 18

2

Comments

  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Pete.G wrote: »
    Well I would suggest maybe not... I'm at the same point as you with GB, so thank you for getting those rates... I'm currently on Fixed 12 Sapphire and they advised I'd save over £150 pa... well compare the math to the rates you obtained and explain just how I achieve that like for like?????


    My current rates:
    Gas - 2.650 p/kw - .110 p/d
    Elec - 9.550 p/kw - .122 p/d


    Also, they did not produce Jan statements until a few days ago (as opposed to the 10th of the month before Co-Op took over) and despite sending in my readings before they compiled my 'offer', the annual readings they projected are way of base... like you, I feel I'm being scammed... or at least poorly served!!!


    Have just registered for IChoosr collective energy switch and will wait to see what they can bring to the table... good luck.

    Welcome back to MSE after almost 9 years away :hello: :cool:

    £150 saving compared to what? Presumably compared to you doing nothing as Ofgen prescribe. ;)

    Don't wait around for novelty "collective switches", consult a comparison site as I suggested above, and see if you really can get a better deal.

    Oh, and Good luck!
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,795 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    Pete.G wrote: »
    Well I would suggest maybe not... I'm at the same point as you with GB, so thank you for getting those rates... I'm currently on Fixed 12 Sapphire and they advised I'd save over £150 pa... well compare the math to the rates you obtained and explain just how I achieve that like for like?????


    My current rates:
    Gas - 2.650 p/kw - .110 p/d
    Elec - 9.550 p/kw - .122 p/d


    Also, they did not produce Jan statements until a few days ago (as opposed to the 10th of the month before Co-Op took over) and despite sending in my readings before they compiled my 'offer', the annual readings they projected are way of base... like you, I feel I'm being scammed... or at least poorly served!!!


    Have just registered for IChoosr collective energy switch and will wait to see what they can bring to the table... good luck.

    Yes I am on Fixed 12 Sapphire too. but my rates are

    Gas - 2.7825 p/kw - 11.55 p/d
    Elec - 10.0275 p/kw - 15.80 p/d

    Not sure why we are different! presume there have been different rates within the same tariff at different times?

    We are quite big users, on my past usage, on the Sapphire rates above it would be £1,934.07

    On the rates for the Feb 2018 tariff it would be £1,997.24 so a £63 a year rise.

    As Footyguy says, its best to run the comparison sites and choose the offered Feb 18 tariff as if already your current one to see if anything beats it.
  • I implore all to learn the lesson and do their homework...


    Having had a cuppa I've spent 10 mins crunching my numbers against the rates kindly obtained by 'sillygose'


    My 2016/2017 costs - £634.49


    New offer costs - £737.35 - so wheres the £150 saving going to come from :-(


    I think you'd do well to crunch your own numbers 'sillygoose' because someone, somewhere, is not shooting straight bullets!


    Do not trust what comparison sites tell you... get the rates, crunch the numbers, take control!


    I have just register for iChooser collective energy switching scheme (ichoosr.co.uk ) let's see what they bring to the table... it sounds quite interesting!


    Good luck...
  • Pete.G_2
    Pete.G_2 Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 12 February 2017 at 9:41PM
    sillygoose wrote: »
    Yes I am on Fixed 12 Sapphire too. but my rates are

    Gas - 2.7825 p/kw - 11.55 p/d
    Elec - 10.0275 p/kw - 15.80 p/d

    Not sure why we are different! presume there have been different rates within the same tariff at different times?

    We are quite big users, on my past usage, on the Sapphire rates above it would be £1,934.07

    On the rates for the Feb 2018 tariff it would be £1,997.24 so a £63 a year rise.

    As Footyguy says, its best to run the comparison sites and choose the offered Feb 18 tariff as if already your current one to see if anything beats it.



    I suspect you are quoting the inc. vat numbers, I'm not. Interestingly, the Feb. 18 offer is on my statement but the renewal offer (separate letters) advises: 'GB Fix for longer April 2018' ... and yes, you've guessed it, no rates on that either!


    So there's another one you might like to look at...


    This is such a moving target!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:
  • @pete.g
    The savings come from the way all switching sites have to present the next 12 months costs under the regulator's (OFGEM) rules.
    Basically the next twelve months costs are made up of the rest of the time on your fix (which ends soon) and then the rest of the year at your current provider's standard tariff.
    Then the switching sites shows how much a new tariff would be and calculates the saving by taking the new costs away from the expensive 12 months.
  • GB Energy / COOP are purposefully misleading customers on the online billing system it seems.
    My latest monthly GB Energy Premium Energy Saver bill (January 2017) states that my energy rates are:
    Gas unit: 2.84 pkwh
    Gas standing: 6.45 per day
    Elec unit:10.24 pkwh
    Elec standing: 10.70 per day

    However, after accidentally clicking on the 'my profile' page the rates given for my account are significantly higher than those given on my monthly statements:
    Gas unit: 3.69
    Gas standing: 16.09
    Elec unit: 14.27
    Elec standing: 25.4

    I suspect i have been paying the higher rates rather than the rates stated on my monthly bills.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,499 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 13 February 2017 at 12:17PM
    ccarl wrote: »
    GB Energy / COOP are purposefully misleading customers on the online billing system it seems.
    My latest monthly GB Energy Premium Energy Saver bill (January 2017) states that my energy rates are:
    Gas unit: 2.84 pkwh
    Gas standing: 6.45 per day
    Elec unit:10.24 pkwh
    Elec standing: 10.70 per day

    However, after accidentally clicking on the 'my profile' page the rates given for my account are significantly higher than those given on my monthly statements:
    Gas unit: 3.69
    Gas standing: 16.09
    Elec unit: 14.27
    Elec standing: 25.4

    I suspect i have been paying the higher rates rather than the rates stated on my monthly bills.
    Highly unlikely, have you actually checked ?

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • molerat wrote: »
    Highly unlikely, have you actually checked ?

    Thank you. I have just called GB and they have confirmed that I am on the lower rate.

    Yet, various price comparison site identify much higher rates for this Premium Energy Saver Tariff e.g. Cheap Energy Club indicates: Gas 3.695p pkwh, standing @ 16.097pd (compared to the much lower 2.84pkwh/6.45 on my invoice); Electricity 14.274p pkwh, standing 25.494pd (also much lower on my bill at 10.24pkwh/10.70pd) . TCR is slightly higher on bill but still much lower than CEC rates for this tariff. CEC and other tools identify significant savings by switching but based on incorrect rates

    Could the discrepancy be down to the tariff being a variable rate which can change, or regional variations + VAT or comparison method as suggested in responses to the original thread post?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 36,499 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I seem to remember it coming up here before that they used the same name with varying rates and it is difficult to pin down the correct one on comparison sites, the VAT not making it any easier.

    Never associate with idiots on their own level, because, being an intelligent man, you'll try to deal with them on their level - and on their level they'll beat you every time.

    Being hated by idiots is the price you pay for not being one of them.

    Jean Cocteau 1889-1963

  • molerat wrote: »
    Highly unlikely, have you actually checked ?

    My suspicions were correct. The unit prices on my bill statements and estimate of costs for the year ahead have been incorrect (artificially low) for 4 months or so, having checked a second time with GB Energy following CEC advice. They will be recalculating and sending me a revised bill and explained that they had not updated the unit prices on bill statements for some customers whose accounts were being reviewed and that a backlog had accumulated since GB ceased trading and COOP took over. So there may be many other customers in for a surprise.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.