£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Options

Comments

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    WannabeFree I feel the same - my mum is so good with money/household management and a million and one things besides, but kept it very invisible from me growing up, so I left home with absolutely no idea about the logistics of doing those things. I aim to equip my DCs more effectively!

I've done my list for today, so I've added a few more things...

Three (more) things to do today:
    1. Post orders for smaller business
    2. Check stock levels before clients on the weekend.
    3. Read through all my GDPR info and take action as necessary. <dies of boredom>
    4. Food shopping (sorry, couldn't keep it to three!)

5. Make houmous.
    6. Make homemade baked beans.
    7. Make granola.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Having decided I had totally had enough of being ill, I completely went to town on my to do list and got tons done today. Kept work stuff to school hours and did the house stuff once the DC were home. Need to do some more packed lunch cooking and clear the ironing at some point (not today), but actually feeling moderately on top of work and house things. I am, however, completely wrecked form getting all of that done when really I am really still quite ill, and am going to bed now! Worth it not to have it all hanging over me though.

Still feeling optimistic about my 'make more money' plans, although putting them into action will have to wait until Wednesday as I have an all day meeting tomorrow (unpaid, boo, but I only need to attend them a couple of times a year).

So lovely to see all the flowers when I was out walking today - winter felt like it went on for sooooo long, I'm really enjoying the brightness and joy of proper sunshine and flowers. My neighbour has a shady woodland sort of garden with primroses, bluebells, wild garlic and forget me nots in amongst the shrubs, and it looks lovely just now.

My brain has died, so that's all you're getting from me today :D .

Three (ha!) things to do today:
    1. Post orders for smaller business
    2. Check stock levels before clients on the weekend.
    3. Read through all my GDPR info and take action as necessary. <dies of boredom>
    4. Food shopping (sorry, couldn't keep it to three!)
    5. Make houmous.

6. Make homemade baked beans. DH has done this, I ran out of steam.
    7. Make granola.
    8. Contract work.
    9. Make cookies for meeting tomorrow
    10. Make rice crisipe cakes for DC1's school trip tomorrow.
    11. Sew on Cub/Beaver badges.

12. Order handkerchiefs.This is our latest anti-single-use-products move. Even though tissues degrade really easily, there tends to be some plastic in the packaging, and handkerchiefs last basically forever - I have some which were vintage when I was a child that are still going! But we need more for a family of five to move away from tissues.
    13. Do some calendar checking with DH for various parties etc.

Debt repayment:
    - £49/30 April rounding down pot.
    - £1,941.34/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 63: Day 2

Yuck, still feeling grot. I would sack off the meeting I'm meant to be at today, but I'm driving someone else there and she's a really nervous driver and won't be able to go if I don't, so I feel too guilty to not go. I'm hoping to hide behind a clipboard and plan out my next month's work while the more boring bits are going on. Plus it will actually force me to sit down for half a day instead of powering on through and getting loads done!

The money side is all very dull. All pots are empty, I am counting the days until the end of the month. Anything I spend on food, fuel or entertainment is an overspend, the pots are all empty bar £20 in the family kitty. I find it amusing that I feel worried when the joint account drops below £1,000 in the bank at the end of the month now (basically the accumulation of the various monthly savings pots) whereas only 15 months or so ago it was hard to stay inside a £1,000+ overdraft every month!

Only a day until we find out whether DH's mythical bonus is getting paid. I'm not holding my breath. I have been very good about avoiding spending it before it's arrived though, so if it doesn't come it won't be a disaster. It's helped that I don't know whether it's £10 or £1,000 though!

Three things to do today:
    1. Check make up - I know I'm running out of a few things but don't want to order replenishments too soon or too much. Especially foundation, as if I can limp through until warmer weather when I'm usually on a darker shade I can replace the lighter one next winter.
    2. Make a decision re a party that I'm not really happy for DC2 to go to, but he is desperate to.
    3. Start to list/plan next month's working time and goals. Money making hat on!

Debt repayment:
    - £50/30 April rounding down pot.
  • Silver_Queen
    Options
    Hope your work meeting today isn't too painful, but it sounds like you need to be forced to take it slowly a little bit! Maybe it'll help speed up your recovery.

I can't believe you even make your own baked beans!
    Debt Totals July 2019::
    [STRIKE]£350 Natwest Credit Card [/STRIKE]/ ]Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £7,000 £5,000 sister loan/ Now £0[STRIKE]£500 train ticket loan from parents [/STRIKE]/ Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18)[STRIKE]£2,000 Overdraft[/STRIKE] Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £0
    Total £7,000
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Hope your work meeting today isn't too painful, but it sounds like you need to be forced to take it slowly a little bit! Maybe it'll help speed up your recovery.

I can't believe you even make your own baked beans!
    You mean you don't?! :rotfl:

Seriously, it's mostly because I like the flavour. I use this recipe, but use smaller beans (haricot maybe? Can't remember. Whatever it is at the zero waste shop that looks small).
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Still ill, still poor, still counting down until end of month, tired and off to bed. Over and out, Team MSE. :hello:

Three things to do today: I did none of this
    1. Check make up - I know I'm running out of a few things but don't want to order replenishments too soon or too much. Especially foundation, as if I can limp through until warmer weather when I'm usually on a darker shade I can replace the lighter one next winter.
    2. Make a decision re a party that I'm not really happy for DC2 to go to, but he is desperate to.
    3. Start to list/plan next month's working time and goals. Money making hat on!

Debt repayment:
    - £50/30 April rounding down pot.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Week 63: Day 3

Right, I'm back to being bored of being ill now. Split personality, moi?

First up: Exciting news! DH's bonus is being paid tomorrow, and it's pretty much bang on £1,000 after tax. HOW EXCITING. We're going to divide it up as follows:
    10% debt
    50% extension
    10% house stuff
    10% food/household supplies (I have added a few quid to each weekly food shop and the monthly 'household stuff/bulk buying' pot from here to August)
    5% annual insurances (hoping to move over to lump sum insurances)
    5% sister's wedding cake supplies (probably only need another £40 here in total)
    5% DC1 tutor
    5% emergency fund

This gives us a mega head start on one of our big savings targets for the year - the £5,000 pot for the extension, as well as a noticeable debt overpayment, which is all rather pleasing.

Fairly quiet day today, hoping to get a chunk of work done, and will pop back here later to share my ambitious earning plan for the year.

Three things to do today:
    3. Boring boring phone call that I have promised to do this morning to help someone out. Hoping it's <30mins.

Debt repayment:
    - £53.99/30 April rounding down pot.
    - £1,946.33/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
  • cocalls
    cocalls Posts: 881 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    great news on the bonus and v sensible way to split it up.

The baked beans look lush!
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,614 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good news on bonus and good way to allocate it. Are extension plans now sorted?

Hope you feel better soon.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Good news on bonus and good way to allocate it. Are extension plans now sorted?

Hope you feel better soon.
    Extension plans all on hold until we get confirmation about building over the sewer outside the back of the house. Hopefully no big drama, but has the potential to completely scupper things, so we need to address it before going any further with design.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback