I don't think it gets much worse than this. Feel totally beaten

Options

Comments

• zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Going back to the post 90 regarding entertainment, what does £350 go on if you are struggling with all these debts?
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • worriedDan
    Options
    Going back to the post 90 regarding entertainment, what does £350 go on if you are struggling with all these debts?
    Hi

I have changed that amount to £200 - this might still be too much. We are on month 1 of new budget so I will be tweaking it as we move forward
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Yes - still too much - I'd say £30 a week in your situation, so let's say £125 a month maximum.
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes - still too much - I'd say £30 a week in your situation, so let's say £125 a month maximum.

Really? That is a round of 6 drinks in London (I know, because I took my team out last week and that was it) - if that is just two of you, and maybe a takeaway I can see it but there might be a bit of an illusion to maintain with important people or an expensive location, like London. I would start with £200 and write down what you spend in the first month of your budget - then it becomes obvious what you need to change
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Isn't that the problem though in essence? Creating an illusion i.e. a lifestyle you can't afford to live?
    Personally, going out once a week and a takeaway is too much for someone who is struggling to pay off debts.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's important to find a level which is both possible for the level of debt and to allow a long repayment slog without giving up. This will be different for different people and perhaps different for the same people at different times of their debt payment journey. It needs to be doable for the long term. Dan has a good income with plenty of wiggle room and I'm sure sometimes he'll be paying off more than at others. He needs some slack perhaps to enable him to continue in the long term. He doesn't have to wear a hair shirt!
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • worriedDan
    worriedDan Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    here is our new SOA for the next 3 months. The £375 will reduce after 3 months as we will have a buffer. It's a bit more hardcore than our last SOA but after my wife and I finally got our heads together, we think that this is the way it needs to be! We accept that things will crop along the way and that it's not going to be plain sailing, but we have finally accepted that we
    need to reign in our spending. I have not listed every debt again as I have already done that on previous SOA's. I have put £2000 in as the debt payment, although this is about £800 more than the minimum payments.

Household Information[/b]
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 1
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 3377
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1010
    Benefits................................ 82.8 - might lose this due to earning - gonna wait till letter arrives.
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 4469.8

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 489
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 85.8
    Electricity............................. 40
    Gas..................................... 80
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 30
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 60 - This will reduce significantly when contracts end.
    TV Licence.............................. 14
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 22
    Groceries etc. ......................... 200
    Clothing................................ 10
    Petrol/diesel........................... 180
    Road tax................................ 5
    Car Insurance........................... 21 - looking for cheaper quote
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30 - this is going into a separate pot to pay for repairs.
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 100
    Other child related expenses............ 0
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 15
    Contents insurance...................... 10
    Life assurance ......................... 30
    Other insurance......................... 30
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 0 - We are going to use my additional summer income to put some aside for this.
    Haircuts................................ 10
    Entertainment........................... 200 - Still not 100% sure about this - this may need to be amended
    Holiday................................. 0 - Extra summer income will cover a cheap UK break - IF we have one.
    Emergency fund.......................... 375 - for 3 mnths
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2036.8

Assets

Cash.................................... 12000 - not really accessible right now but nice to know it's there.
    House value (Gross)..................... 155000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 7000
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 174000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    Mortgage...................... 75000....(489)......1.25
    Total secured & HP debts...... 75000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    All debt.......................55000.....2000......0 - It will never be this high again
    hmrc...........................2000......122.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........57000.....2122......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 4,469.8
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,036.8
    Available for debt repayments........... 2,433
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 2,122
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 311
    - I guess this should be zero but lets see where we are at the end of month 1. Any surplus will be saved or used to pay something else off. previously this would have dissapeared down a black hole of uneccesary purchases

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 174,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -75,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,000
    Net Assets.............................. 42,000
    - at least I am actually worth something!!

I have also enquired about doing some additional work on the side doing some private education. This could net me an extra £300 per month after taxes for just a couple of hours extra work per week!
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    All debt.......................55000.....2000......0 - It will never be this high again

I believe you!! And you can do it!! You are doing so well! :j
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • worriedDan
    worriedDan Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options

I believe you!! And you can do it!! You are doing so well! :j

Thank you. the numbers still scare me but a proper plan in place makes it all feel a bit more manageable
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Verbatim wrote: »
    It's important to find a level which is both possible for the level of debt and to allow a long repayment slog without giving up. This will be different for different people and perhaps different for the same people at different times of their debt payment journey. It needs to be doable for the long term. Dan has a good income with plenty of wiggle room and I'm sure sometimes he'll be paying off more than at others. He needs some slack perhaps to enable him to continue in the long term. He doesn't have to wear a hair shirt!

I agree. That was my thinking exactly. If you don't retain a little wiggle room it is much harder to maintain the journey.

Hey Dan, I just wanted to question your HMRC debt? If this is owed for any time previous to April 2016 I suggest you prioritise this a bit higher - most of your unsecured debt is now stoozed on to 0% CC - look at the interest and penalty rate HMRC are going to charge you and if necessary, prioritise it to take that £1200 pm above minimum payments to get rid of it by May
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport