Goals and Dreams

Options

Comments

• angelpye
    Options
    Sounds like you are staying focused :)
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mum and you sound like you have a really good heart to look after others when you have your own crap to deal with.
    Can I advise on the wonders of a slow cooker? Me and my partner make so many things in it; spag bol, stew, tikka masala, chilli etc. We buy all the ingredients, chuck it in and then when it is ready we divide it into empty Butter/Margarine pots and stick in the freezer. Really helps us and the cost per dinner is cheap.
    My other advice is a cautionary one! I note that twice you have gone out the house and come back with food however were they the reasons for going out? Let me give you an example; BISCUITS! Post number4 you got them half price but did you need them? Post number9, biscuits again. I understand what you are saying about a saving but, did you go out for them specifically?
    The point I am trying to make is that even though these are bargains, were they actually purchases that you needed to make? I'm just trying to get you to question where your money goes.
    Hope you don't mind and good luck!
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • Macey1510
    Options
    Well done on the £5.60 - every little helps!

As a self employed person, I'd say that grabbing that spare hour in the morning as often as you can will really get you on the right track. When I get in the frame of mind of 'oh, I need a good four hour chunk to work on this' I never get anything done, because in my life there is NEVER a four hour chunk free!

Sorry to read about your mum and good luck on your journey, sounds like you're well motivated and clear on your goals.

Thank you...I managed 30 minutes this morning and started clearing my work room. I used to think the same, that if I didn't have hours to work on things there's no point but I'm trying to change my way of thinking.
  • Macey1510
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Well done on your saving!

Thank you!
  • Macey1510
    Options
    angelpye wrote: »
    Sounds like you are staying focused :)
    Hi thank you for your comment :)
  • Macey1510
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your Mum and you sound like you have a really good heart to look after others when you have your own crap to deal with.
    Can I advise on the wonders of a slow cooker? Me and my partner make so many things in it; spag bol, stew, tikka masala, chilli etc. We buy all the ingredients, chuck it in and then when it is ready we divide it into empty Butter/Margarine pots and stick in the freezer. Really helps us and the cost per dinner is cheap.
    My other advice is a cautionary one! I note that twice you have gone out the house and come back with food however were they the reasons for going out? Let me give you an example; BISCUITS! Post number4 you got them half price but did you need them? Post number9, biscuits again. I understand what you are saying about a saving but, did you go out for them specifically?
    The point I am trying to make is that even though these are bargains, were they actually purchases that you needed to make? I'm just trying to get you to question where your money goes.
    Hope you don't mind and good luck!

Hi thank you for your advice... I really appreciate it.
    We do have a slow cooker and at the moment only use it every couple of weeks for stews. I never thought about spag bol or chilli in it, I will have a look online later for some more ideas.
    I do need to think more about buying things because they are on offer if I don't really need them especially with food!
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Macey, Good on you for also trying to sort out your parents finances.
    I don't know if you're aware that your Mom may be eligible for some financial help as she is ill? If the illness is impacting her ability to manage things for herself she could be entitled to DLA/PIP or attendance allowance. She doesn't have to actually be receiving the help she needs, just the fact that she needs it is enough.
    I hope everything world out well for you all. x
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • Macey1510
    Options
    Hi thank you for telling me about that, I have arranged a meeting with the Macmillan financial dept on Thursday so I will ask them about this x
  • Macey1510
    Options
    Today I took all the change that I have been saving to the bank. I got just over £30 so I will use it for my Next catalogue over payment.

I also listed 8 things on 3bay. I had a big sort out before Christmas and sold a lot then so I don't have much left...I think I might start doing some surveys as well.
  • Macey1510
    Options
    Hi, I hope everyone is having a lovely evening.

My direct debits came out this morning, minimum payments to my CCJ and credit card.
    I worked it out that if I continued to pay the minimum payments it would take me 8 years 3 months to pay the one and 16 years 4 months for the other.
    I was hoping to pay everything off by 2020 but having looked at my budget in more detail this afternoon i may have to alter this goal as there are somethings I haven't budgeted for...like vet bills and unexpected things.

I have been feeling really down about my finances today but I think it's because it will be another 2 weeks until I can pay anymore off my debts and because of my Mom being so poorly with everything out of my control I feel the need to be in control of something...my finances.

I spent so many years not even thinking about paying my debts off but since having my LBM I have been obsessed with paying as much as possible as quickly as possible and not concentrating on the longer term.

Well I'm off to help my mom to bed and then I'm going to bed to read some diaries to keep me motivated :)

xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport