Goals and Dreams

Options
Macey1510
Macey1510 Posts: 82 Forumite
edited 12 February 2017 at 11:48AM in Debt free diaries
Hi I recently came across the debt free diaries and have found them so inspiring.
I have decided to start my own to help keep me focused in getting out of debt and fulfilling my goals.

I live with my partner, (we have separate finances). We are renting and my partner pays most of the bills as he has a lot more money coming in than me.
I have one son who is 24 and lives with my mom and dad and 2 step sons who are 23 and live with their mom. We also have a dog and a cat.

I have been in debt one way or another since I was 18 (for over 20 years) with nothing to show for it.

My debts now are -
CC 1 - £900 CCJ
CC 2 - £1970 Defaulted
Next Catalogue - £997 up to date

Total Debt £3867

The Next Catalogue is the only debt with interest being charged. The credit cards are being paid off at reduced rates.

My Incomings are £600 a month.

Recently we had the devastating news that my mom has cancer so I am caring for her at home. Since all this has happened I really feel the need to be in control of all my finances and to help my mom and dad as much as possible.

My Goals

To help my mom and dad with their finances and save them as much money as possible.

I hope to be out of debt and have some savings by 2020 (which is when my CCJ comes off my file) I am going to concentrate on the Next Catalogue first and then move onto the credit cards and then start saving.

Dreams

To become self employed again. I studied ceramics and textiles but had to sell all my equipment in the recession. I love making things and miss it so much.

To have our own house.

Changes I'm Planning To Make

- To only buy things I really need.
- To shop more sensibly for food and essentials.
- To cook larger amounts and freeze more.
- To earn some money whilst spending time with my mom (not sure how I'm going to do this yet)

I think that's it for now.
xxxxx

Comments

• louby40
    louby40 Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome to the board! You'll get tons of support.
  • Macey1510
    Options
    louby40 wrote: »
    Welcome to the board! You'll get tons of support.
    Thanks you!
  • Macey1510
    Options
    For Me
    I paid my monthly Next Catalogue £100 which was £20 over the minimum payment, it should be less next month as I don't think all the returns I made have come off yet...I will check this as soon as the next statement is available to view.

I did a small shop and bought the ingredients to make a big pot of spaghetti bolognese so I can freeze most of that.
    I also got my shower gel for half price so I bought 2 of these, they are extra large so should last ages....I was way to excited about this :-)
    And my last bargain was 2 packets of biscuits also half price, which definitely won't last ages!

For my Mom & Dad
    Today I went through my mom and dads finances for them to see if I could save them any money.

Phone - I was hoping by combining the Internet and phone it would reduce their payments as my OH is paying less with the same provider...I will have to keep a look out for any deals as it was only £1 cheaper than they are paying.

Gas & Electric - I phoned their supplier and they have an annual review at the end of the month so can't do anything until then, but it looks like they will be able to reduce their direct debit by £30 a month and get a small refund, I am so pleased about this for them.

Banking - I got my dad to ring his bank and see about changing his account as he is paying for extras each month that he never uses.

I also bagged up their change that they have been saving and took it to the bank, it came to £65, I don't think the cashier was very happy with me, she kept sighing.

Well I'm off to take the puppy for a walk and then back to my moms xxxx
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Looks like you have got a plan and ready to tackle this properly :) Will keep popping back to see how you are doing. :D
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about your mum's illness.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Macey1510
    Options
    angelpye wrote: »
    Hi and welcome! Looks like you have got a plan and ready to tackle this properly :) Will keep popping back to see how you are doing. :D

Thank you :)
  • Macey1510
    Options
    Bobarella wrote: »
    Very sorry to hear about your mum's illness.

Thank you!
  • Macey1510
    Options
    Good morning, I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend.

Business Goals
    I have decided that from tomorrow I will get up an hour earlier and use that time to work on my business.
    I'm also going to keep my sketchbook and planner with me and if I get a few minutes during the day I will work on some new ideas.

Shopping Sensibly
    Yesterday I had to pop into town so I picked up a few things that I normally get from the supermarket from the £1 shop instead.

3 variety bags of crisps - supermarket price £4.50 - savings £1.50
    3 packets of biscuits - supermarket price £2.10 - savings £1.10
    Foil dishes - supermarket price £1.50 - savings 50p
    Diary - shop price £3.00 - savings £2.50

Total savings £5.60

which will go towards next months overpayment on my Next account.

xxxx
  • Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Well done on the £5.60 - every little helps!

As a self employed person, I'd say that grabbing that spare hour in the morning as often as you can will really get you on the right track. When I get in the frame of mind of 'oh, I need a good four hour chunk to work on this' I never get anything done, because in my life there is NEVER a four hour chunk free!

Sorry to read about your mum and good luck on your journey, sounds like you're well motivated and clear on your goals.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Well done on your saving!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport