Taking the plunge

Options

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Options
    I re-evaluated yesterdays trip out and discussed the options with the boys. After going through several different routes we established that there wasn't a particularly direct way to get there and we would be effectively spending two hours each way in the car we chose a country park that we hadn't been to for a few years that was only 45 mins away. Thus saving fuel. I'm pleased I took my flask with me as the kids wore me out and it meant no spending in their cafe.

The new boiler tank thing arrived first thing this morning so we have the rest of the day to do what ever we need to. So I'm going to chill out for a little while and hunt down some other free bits we can do for the rest of the week.

TTFN x
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Yesterday turned into a bit of a lazy day, but it is good for the kids to learn to be bored in order to become creative. It resulted in them having a water fight, reading and junk modelling. We used some of the runner beans again for dinner (it's nice having them super fresh) and brought some pears in to ripen. As there were quite a few the boys bagged some up and ran them down to our neighbours.

Whilst we were cooking the neighbours came over with a huge pile of freshly cooked ham that they'd bought because their grandchildren were supposed to be coming over, but they weren't able to make it. So I've used the ham for today's lunch (cheese and ham toasties) and there's still loads left so will use the rest for dinner tonight - ham, egg and chips :)
    I've popped £3 over into the mortgage account in respect of these meals being covered and am revisiting the week's meal plan as a result.

I've done a little Kon Mari on the paperwork, but still have a pile to go through. My project house lists are up and I'm going to knock a fair few off tomorrow hopefully whilst the plumbers are replacing the tank.

We have a trip to the dentists today for DS3 and then we are going foraging for sticks on the local heathland to prop up the tomato plants (can't see the point in buying canes when you can get them for nothing) and then off to the local cemetery for pine cones as they make excellent fire lighters and the kids enjoy competing against each other to see who can fill the bag the fastest. The pine trees are not near any graves so it doesn't feel disrespectful. The aim is to fill a bin full in preparation for the winter.

Oh the icing on the cake is that DS2's attitude to reading and homework is improving considerably. The last three days he's actively asked to read to us and after sowing the homework seed last night he asked for some support with choosing which homework task to do and has already completed it. Plus one of the options he was considering involved using a photo of himself and explaining a bit about him. He said he couldn't do it as we didn't have any recent photos printed. I told him we were waiting for the free ones to arrive and that he could have one of those.
    He is now up for doing 2/6 homework projects. Considering he only wanted to do 1/6 begrudgingly and we'd been arguing a few weeks back that I wanted him to do at least 4/6 I think this is brilliant progress. The fact he is volunteering rather than being nagged too is making it much more pleasurable :)
  • allmannerofthings
    Options
    I've just caught up on the last couple of pages of your diary Jelllibeanz, wow you're getting so much done! Well done on the overpayments and also the decluttering! Very inspirational to me at the moment as that is so what I need to do too!
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Thanks AMoT. I've not touched base with my diary for a few days now. Have had several other things that have taken my focus away from house a little. However, things are still ticking over.

So where are we at?? I have now purchased the 35% share that was owned by the housing association as part of the HomeBuy scheme and it is all now in my name. It was a lengthy process with the valuation etc. but very well worth it and now we can start to focus on home improvements and really adding the value the house deserves. I've worked out that with the current valuation the remaining mortgage is approx. 30% LTV so now we can focus on knocking it down further. The legal cost has sucked up some of this month's over payment, but it will mean that I am no longer paying interest to the housing association and that can be put into the mortgage pot.

It's been a hectic few weeks: back to work full time, MrJ proposed (I said yes :) ), my best friends wedding (which cost a few quid what with hotel rooms etc.) and moving forward DS1 has a birthday and DS 2+3 go back to school this week too. I am officially shattered and have been trying to use today to recuperate in advance of another challenging week ahead.

On the MSE front we saved 30% at H1lton Hotels as they do an NHS discount scheme, bought a gazebo in 1kea in the sale section saving us 50% of the original price, MrJ is getting good at haggling for further discount, saved 30% in the local carvery on breakfast as I complained we were sat next to the bins and it didn't smell so good and have been good at uploaded all receipts to relevant apps too.

We've done some blackberry picking whilst walking the dog by the local river, blanched and frozen the last of the runner beans, traded childcare with friends to reduce costs and the kids being bored, made apple, pear and blackberry crumble (MrJ loved the topping and thought it was shop bought!), been filling the tank up at C0stc0 as it works out a bit cheaper and trying to avoid the shops unless absolutely necessary.

TTFN x
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Congratulations on the engagement!!! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Thank you :):):)
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    As the weekend comes to a close I've been reflecting on some of the little MSE things that we've done this week. It's been a busy one with the boys returning to school etc, but that hasn't stopped us being careful.

We've had a fairly subdued, but very happy one. Visited a free festival and the boys got to make wax seals and play traditional games. They also signed themselves up to the library. We haven't been in years. I usually pick them up books in the charity shop, but they enjoyed browsing and are looking forward to going back again. Plus they borrowed a Kondo book for Mummy. So I count that as a win! :)

The Kondo book has spurred me on with a little decluttering as work-life has gotten in the way just recently and left me shattered. So housework etc has fallen a little by the wayside. I know when I've been working too much because I actually enjoy the housework! DS4 has joined in and decluttered his T-shirt drawer so there is a bag for the charity shop waiting to go.

I've also got so fed up of the boys using a towel and then dropping it on the floor (seems like I'm forever washing towels) I have finally bought an over the door towel rail. So far so good and the towels from this morning are hanging up nicely! So that should save on washing etc.

Friends popped round today and dropped off some out grown school clothes and we've had a restful one watching films, cooking a roast etc. The wet weather is a pleasant break and it's meant we've had some family time.

TTFN
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well I have to say the towel rail is working a treat and we still have some towels on the shelves!! Had a minor issue with a leaking pipe and tap this morning, which lead to the bathroom and kitchen getting rather wet. However, we used a £5 off £25 voucher at the local DIY store and picked up some tools and cheap taps. We're now waiting for walls to dry out.

We also popped into W1lkos and picked up loads of seeds for next year. They are all still in date, but it worked out to approx. £20s worth for £4! I've been wombling receipts for uploading onto the apps - people must think I'm very environmentally conscious picking up receipts in the supermarket car park.

A few little tidy ups this week and bit of cash that I was holding onto has become the deposit for the new double glazing. We've shopped round a fair bit and had a few quotes, but yesterday I bit the bullet. The old aluminium frames are buckled, the handle has fallen off a couple and the house is cold. Hopefully the new ones will be installed before the end of November, but we are in a conservation area (or a conversation area as DS4 puts it) and is costing us a little more as we have to have sash ones. Will be nice to get the house back into the much loved condition it deserves to be. Fuse board is being done the weekend after next. So it is really starting to come together.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    It's been busy on the work front and the housework is suffering a little. I'm hoping I can leave a little earlier today to go home and do some. I was supposed to work this afternoon in a different location for a meeting and I had agreed to give another member of staff a lift in return for the few I've received previously. However, we've now been told we can skipe in so I will save 20 miles worth of petrol :)

I enjoyed making homemade apple crumbles on Sunday evening. We had one for after dinner and there were four more that I popped into the freezer. However there are still loads of apples on the tree and a few pears too so I need to make some more and think about alternatives for using them up.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Life's been a bit of a roller coaster ride over the past three weeks with plenty of ups and downs. Aiming to stay focussed on the ups. It does mean that I haven't been as attentive with OPing the mortgage and there has been some spending elsewhere. However, life is for living and it's not been too bad really as we have saved some costs along the way...

Electrics - saved £300 by using OH's work contact to do the work and sign it off
    Energy switch - saved £300 by ditching the current provider
    Day trip to France - saved £10 by going through a cash back provider and using a special offer with the ferry operator, plus took friends and split the costs
    Clothes shopping - almost everything was in the sale so that is 50% or more saved
    Mr T - put a trolley of YS products out and so we loaded up (bought some munchies and drinks for the day trip to France and other cupboard items) saved £24

Need to check my balances and change my signature, but we are now out of the £70s. Onwards and upwards :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport