Taking the plunge

Options

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Jelllibeanz Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    A low key day all in all. MrJ has cooked a super roast dinner and I am completely stuffed. Whilst he cooked I planted up some toms, spuds, purple sprouting broccocli (the kids call it magic veg), leeks, runner beans etc. We did a tip run this morning and popped into MrT, we found so many ys items, the freezer has been filled with a few bits and pieces including lamb shanks, sausages and chopped beef. We spend £30, but now there is so much in the freezer if I go shopping in the next month for anything other than packed lunch/cat food/milk/ bread then someone needs to shoot me. There is enough lamb to make a meal tomorrow and we are now chilling out in front of the tele.

We even managed to wear the kids out with swimming before diner. Kids went free and we came back shattered. Can't believe the weekend is almost over. DS3's swimming is much improved and is giving me confidence in taking him in the water abroad.

Would prefer not to have to work tomorrow, but needs must and all that.
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    It's been a busy week and have managed a few Tilly Tidy Ups and have sorted the garden a bit. The kids planted some sunflower seeds yesterday and my patio was looked great until last night when we had friends over for dinner. Was good fun to sit outside with the fire pit and we managed to get rid of some scrap timber.

We went up to the local garden centre this morning and the kids tucked into some cake samples as we window shopped and tested the expensive furniture. Then a quick run into MrT for some packed lunch stuff turned into filling the trolley with loads of YS items. We had a £6 off £40 voucher too. So I fell off the wagon and bought myself and MrJ some new swimwear for the holibobs. We picked up some awesome bits though e.g. a pair of school trousers £0.80, a five pack of knickers for £0.40, 6 tins of dog food £0.60, etc. Like a sad sack I went through all the stickers and had a look at how much we had saved.... £46!!! :) and to cap it off the kids helped themselves to the free fruit for kids too!

Some shares dividends came through yesterday so I must remember to nip into town at some point during the week and then move them over to the mortgage account. It's not been the most MSE week, but having said that it doesn't feel like we've over stretched ourselves either.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Haven't posted for a couple of weeks, but things are ticking away nicely. Have had a few days at work where we've been on a course and lunch has been provided. It hasn't helped on other days as I've started to feel more hungry at lunchtime as a result. However, did have a bit of a touch the other day when I popped into a room where they'd had a conference and there was loads of left over food. Resulting in me taking a huge tray of party eggs and sausage rolls home for the family. Turned into a picnic dinner for the kids and I whilst MrJ worked late leading to me relaxing :)
    And on the upside I turned the tray into a propagator for the seeds we have planted. The toms, runner beans, sunflower seeds and broccoli are coming on a treat. However the rhubarb hasn't put in an appearance yet. I've been using the water in the washing up bowl to through over the plants when it is full. I didn't want a washing up bowl, but when we replaced the sink MrJ thought it was a good idea even though we have a dishwasher and now I am inclined to agree!

I've also started to break the dishwasher tabs in half (haven't told MrJ as he will think this is excessive), but there has been no difference in the cleanliness so I'm going to keep on doing that.

I managed to have a small amount left over from last month and put that towards this month's OP. Will need to speak to the Mco on Weds to find out the impact.
    Feels like I haven't paid it as much attention over the past few weeks, but that may be a good thing in a way as I am a little less obsessive about it. Though I must admit when MrJ caught me smiling at the laptop earlier he accused me of number crunching again - guilty as charged!!! :)
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    All sounding positive Jelliebeanz! Good idea about using the tray for a propagator too :)
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    It's starting to come together :) we are now in the £74s and all the ducks are starting to line up so hopefully I can remortgage in the next few weeks. If my predictions are correct (keeping my fingers crossed) we could be MF in just over 5 years time.

The neighbours have just popped round with a couple of bottles of lemonade for the kids. Turns out they want the bottles back so they can be used to water the garden. So I'm gonna do some research and find out how they will do this as we often have fizzy bottles in the recycling bin and if it helps my garden too it'd be great.

I've moved the seedlings out into the garden, popped the broccoli around the lavender and beans by the canes. Made it look a little pretty by adding some ys bedding plants in with them from MrT. Am enjoying a couple of much needed days off work and am trying to not spend any money. So the garden and the house has had a little attention. Shocked by how much I am enjoying the housework!
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Having a quiet one at home so far today.

MrJ woke up hungry and secretly wanted to pop round to the local cafe for brekkie. However, I saw a post on FB where they made a veg omelette in a slice of bread and thought I'd give it a go whilst he was in the bath. Seemed to go down alright and cured his hunger pangs, though I probably wouldn't make it again. The kids liked the fact I was able to tailor the veg inside according to their personal likes and dislikes.

I've also planted some sunflower and tomato seeds that were lurking in the shed. Don't know if they will take as it's a little late in the year and I don't know what their best before date, but there was some soil and pots going spare which made it seem like a no brainer.

Last night we had a Chinese fake away. Cost no more than £3 for all four of us using a pack of chicken thighs, hm egg fried rice and a pack of prawn crackers. Went down a treat and made a nice change :)

Now feeling nice and relaxed so am off to browse some diaries.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well so far it's been a lovely day. Very warm and sunny (probs caught a little too much of it), but the kids have been good. DS2 has planted some pepper seeds and DD1 has asked for an inventory of all the things we are growing (rhubarb, tomatoes, peppers, aubergine, potatoes, herbs, broccoli, leeks, beans, etc) as she misses being at home.As a result I sent her loads of pics of the things that are growing and in flower + a couple of the dog!
    Was good to have a catch up with her and glad she is ok even though I wish she was a little closer.

A TT up has been done and I've treated MrJ to a new England ruby shirt - not very MSE for me, but he went to buy one last week and was very p'd off as they didn't have his size, so I've found one that is £10 cheaper and should arrive next week. Therefore a happy MrJ and it is essential to live a little too.

We've had another fake away thanks to Aldeeee, as we've just had some hot dog stuffed pizza, garlic bread, salad etc. Went down a treat and now we are chilling with a film (haven't a clue what it is, but the boys are enjoying it) so the house is kinda quiet again. Bliss :)
  • NorthernMonkey1
    Options
    Looks like you're totally on top of saving a fair chunk of cash each month, but what about the £1700 of CC debt? Is it at 0%, because if it isn't you should probably prioritise getting rid of that before making any more mortgage overpayments. You could be paying £30 a £40 a month on the CC debt, which is completely wasted money.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Hi NM

You've made a good point. It is at 0% over the next 2 years, which I am clearing at £100pcm so it will be gone before the interest rate goes up.

It's starting to come together and every little payment is a positive feeling

Cheers

J x
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    You're doing great jellibeanz! You're so organised, well done!! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback