Taking the plunge

Options

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Jelllibeanz Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well payday has been and gone again and we have managed a few successes along the way. I've set up TCB and have enjoyed a bargain or two. We've also had a weekend away on the coast in caravan. It was a bit of a digital detox. Took a while for the kids to settle into things, but as it turned out it was a cost effective and successful weekend. Found an Ald1 not too far away, took most food shopping with us anyway and had to have fish and chips whilst we were there. Mr J now swears by the chippy we went to and insists it was the best he'd ever had. The dog loved it too and I had all three DSs together on Mothers Day and a special phone call from my DD too. I was spoiled rotten and struggled to lift a finger all day.

Last weekend I got the banking app installed on my phone and whilst I was originally really dubious about it I am actually rather enjoying being able to log on anywhere and just have a quick check.
    I'm still chipping away at the OPs. A couple of chex came through so I deposited them straight away. Am looking forward to receiving a few more soon.

DS2 is on his first school journey. The house is very quiet without him and I think DS3 is missing him loads as I found him asleep in his brother's bed this morning. Can't wait until Friday when he comes home so I can give him the biggest hug possible. It's the longest he has ever been away from me so far.

Made a quick call to the Mco yesterday to find out what the balance was ....£77592, but there was some that had not hit the account yet. I am looking forward to getting into the £76k bracket. I am doing better than I had originally projected a few weeks back so that really made me smile.

However I am now keeping my fingers crossed that all is ok with the car. The engine management light came on at the weekend. So checked the oil and it was empty so filled up with 1.5L and a the light went off. A couple of hours later it came back on again. We figured maybe it needed more oil (I haven't a clue how much goes into an engine) so we topped it up some more. Low and behold the light went out again. Now two days later it's reappeared :( but when I stopped and turned the engine off for a couple of minutes it was gone when I turned it back on again. I think I am gonna have to try to get hold of mechanic friend and ask him to take a look, maybe put it on the computer and see what error code it generates. I am praying it is something small and cheap.

On the upside I only have to work for a couple of hours tomorrow and then I am supposed to be off over the Easter break. I want to rest, but run with the dog too! Hmmm just have to find a balance.
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    It's been a spendy few days. I haven't got to the bottom of the engine management light yet. The car successfully managed a 120 mile round trip yesterday to see my DD without it coming on. I was so relieved and nearly snapped at Mr J when he tempted fate by saying it hadn't come on yet. However, we did get to see her and give her a few house warming bits and pieces that she was really grateful for. I had fun shopping for loads of little bits (kitchen stuff, candles, rugs, bedding etc) that entailed a trip to the local 1kia with my bestie as well as several £ shops. What with fuel, eating out yesterday and Friday and shopping I felt like I had fallen off the MSE wagon especially when I looked at my account balance. But if I am honest it has been worth it. My baby girl has a cupboard stocked with dry food in case she runs low on cash, we all had an awesome time and were thrilled to see each other. Can't wait to see her again soon. I'm so pleased she has landed on her feet and found herself a flat share in a nice area and feels safe.

And my DS2 came home from his school journey with a case full of wet washing mixed with things he never wore. So the washing machine is in overdrive and to cap it off the washing line broke leading to us having to buy a whirly gig thingy. It's great to have him home, even if he was tired, grouchy and smelly. It felt like there was a huge hole in the house for few days whilst he was gone and it would seem he missed my cooking.

Weather has been awesome and the garden is starting to come together. I've fixed the lawnmower that MrJ broke two weeks ago and have a mountain of trash to take to the local tip. The kids have enjoyed playing footie in the garden again, much to MrJ's annoyance as they landed a ball on one of his white work shirts, but I think we now have an agreement that the football is banned when the washing is out.

Have checked the balance on the M account today and it is now sitting at £77196. I'm going to have a few non spend days this week if I can. I've spent much more than I planned and haven't been able to put as much aside as I wanted. Will be tricky with the kids on holiday, but am planning on taking them running with me to wear them out and maybe a trip to the river to do some crabbing or hanging out in the local parks. I did manage to pick myself up a flask last week so that should remove the need to buy hot drinks when we are out. The only thing is I forgot to accommodate for their lunch needs in my food shopping and so will have to do a trip to the shops to pick up some bits. However, I'm gonna see what I can wing from the cupboards for now will be tricky with them being almost constantly hungry. Am hoping getting them to cook with help with this.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    The NSDs have not really happened so far. Today is looking like the first one this week. There have been some upsides though. We've met up with friends and had a fab time. The kids did their first zombie run with me and absolutely loved it yesterday. The idea of being chased by zombies and having to collect things on the way really got their imagination going and they are itching to do it again. Meant the dog got a good run too. Great for a free app :)

I've been chasing the solicitor and finally got the last of the dividends so I paid them in yesterday, which involved a trip to the high street and the inevitable pop into Primarni for a quick look. £20 later and two DSs with new Tshirts. Plan is to pay the dividends over to the mortgage once they have cleared.

Have been using the banking app regularly (like two or three times a day) and at one point had not done many TT. However, I have just tallied up how much the TTs have come to this month and they are circa £50 and I still have a week and a bit until payday. I feel like I am becoming a little addicted lol

Had lunch out a couple of days ago which led to me spending more than I would have liked. We stuck to bargain meals and kids meals, but I didn't take any cash with me so I paid and have agreed that the meals I covered for my friend will go towards the deposit for the hen doo in the summer that I have yet to finish paying.

The kids are being fab. The awesome Mr J told them last night that they had to make sure I rested today and the only thing I am allowed to do is make coffee or go on another zombie run!! They have listened and DS2, who hates clearing up, has been brilliant. He has emptied and re-loaded the dishwasher, cleaned the kitchen surfaces, put on the washing, hoovered and polished the living room!! Whenever DS3, who is the complete opposite and an absolute clean freak, has asked to get involved he has told him not to as he wants to do it. So the littl'un is doing their bedroom. I am enjoying this moment whilst it lasts :)

Must remember to visit 1ce1and as they have sent me a voucher for £5 off if I spend £10 or more on 3 occasions over the next 3 weeks. I am sure I can probably manage that.
  • Jelllibeanz
    edited 13 April 2017 at 9:03PM
    Options
    Well I must admit I am enjoying watching MrJ and DS2 playing dinosaur Top Trump together. It's been a great day. I didn't get far with my report for work, but we did take the boys and dog for a walk with friends at the local country park and they had fun climbing trees even if they probably gave me a few extra grey hairs!

So plan for tomorrow. ....
    Dye hair
    Hoover and mop
    Cook soup
    Do washing
    Walk the dog and family somewhere different or at least a different route
    Tackle that nightmare report

The report is a priority but I've been avoiding it. On a brighter note it was almost a NSD. Looking forward to four days with the family. Happy Easter everyone xxx
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    OK I have a confession... great plans and all that. I didn't get as far as hoovering and washing the floor, dying my hair or making headway on that report. However, we did pop up to the local shopping area and visited 1kia after I mentioned to MrJ that the meal deal they were doing finished this evening. Needless to say he needed very little persuasion as he loves his food and their store. Kids were looking forward to it too.
    Now I feel like we had a very MSE day. We spent £12 in H0m3 Barg1nz on some drinks, a toy from DS2's birthday money and a plant pot and then went and ate like kings in the Swedish homestore. The kids had fun doing the Easter Egg treasure hunt and were rewarded with free icecream as we left, but the bit that has really made our day is we have been collecting bits and pieces to do up the bathroom in the summer. We found a ceramic sink in the bargain corner missing a couple of screws that hadn't been priced up. A quick chat with the sales assistant and it was given a price ticket... £100 initially, reduced to £35. Then when we took it to the till we gave them the receipt for our earlier meal (can't go there without eating meatballs etc which came to £31.60) and the final total for sink was..... £3.60!!!!! :rotfl: :rotfl::rotfl: :T:T:T
    We are now feeling very :money:
    Thank you MSE.com xxxx
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I also managed to get in touch with the mortgage co and find out my latest balance... £78,844 with a daily interest of £9.68!!! Explaining that to Mr J has made him look at the mortgage in a more positive light. I am waiting on some inheritance £ to come through and once we have a better idea of where we stand and how much it is I will look at remortgaging for a lower rate. In the meantime I want to chip away at it as much as possible.

Wow some serious money to be saved there. We are ~£90500 with daily in of £5.16, last month. Hoping for an improvent next month now we are into the 80's thanks to FIT and RHI money :) There are even better rates now post Brexit :( Ours is a fee free deal with HSBC.

Cheers
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    You're right we can potentially save £100 a month by remortgaging, but I can't do it until my inheritance comes through, which should be in approx. 8 weeks time and at this point we only have a ball park figure.

I will have a better idea of exactly how much I need to remortgage for once this is in. I am also in a part ownership home, therefore if I can buy the 35% outright using this then it will give me a chance to focus on the rest of the property. Has been a difficult few months of being in limbo with this. I'm looking forward to knowing more about exactly where we stand soon. However I have used the meantime to reduce the existing mortgage and debts as much as possible and it's made me focus on the bits that were going out of the account that were effectively being frittered away.

The hope is once we know more if I can pay off the 35% that I don't currently own I could potentially have another £100 pcm saved by remortgaging and £100 pcm for the interest I currently pay on the 35% of the property. Both of these will then be used to pay off anything remaining on an ongoing basis. Other upside is that by this point I will have approx 30% LTV, which should mean a good rate too.

Your figures have certainly added to the incentive - thank you JJ
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well it's Easter Sunday and the kids have enjoyed tucking into their eggs and talking about the reasons behind why we celebrate. MrJ is being a star and cooking today's roast with DS3 helping cut the veg etc. and the house is kinda tidy :) Have managed to mow the lawn, hoover and mop today. I'm now on instructions to chill out with a glass of red. So I've used the opportunity for a quick TT and am considering what I can make later today to ensure the kids have a few bits and pieces over the next few days to munch on in their packed lunches. I'm thinking some flapjacks, shortbread and fairy cakes should do the trick. Might look for a cheese scone recipe hmmmm. Thinking about this and watching them cook is making me hungry. Am banned from the kitchen at the moment so am off to flick through some diaries in the meantime.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You're right we can potentially save £100 a month by remortgaging, but I can't do it until my inheritance comes through, which should be in approx. 8 weeks time and at this point we only have a ball park figure.

I will have a better idea of exactly how much I need to remortgage for once this is in. I am also in a part ownership home, therefore if I can buy the 35% outright using this then it will give me a chance to focus on the rest of the property. Has been a difficult few months of being in limbo with this. I'm looking forward to knowing more about exactly where we stand soon. However I have used the meantime to reduce the existing mortgage and debts as much as possible and it's made me focus on the bits that were going out of the account that were effectively being frittered away.

The hope is once we know more if I can pay off the 35% that I don't currently own I could potentially have another £100 pcm saved by remortgaging and £100 pcm for the interest I currently pay on the 35% of the property. Both of these will then be used to pay off anything remaining on an ongoing basis. Other upside is that by this point I will have approx 30% LTV, which should mean a good rate too.

Your figures have certainly added to the incentive - thank you JJ

Sorry to hear of your loss but sounds like you are putting every pound to work :) Have you checked pensions are on track too? Though having been mortgage free in the past it's an amazing feeling of freedom :)

We're currently 22% LTV but this dream house is going to be sold for another dream house... The new house should cost be similar to what we sell this one for, fingers crossed.
    Funny old life, dreams change as time passes...

Although we won't move for ~1 year we've started selling old stuff on Gumtree, try not to use eBay as expensive and have been messed around a lot, charity shops, city dump etc. Lot's of DIY bits and bobs too. But amazing how fast you get through it all.

Cheers
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Thanks JJ

I've not checked the PPot yet. It's something I should take a look at though. There are some bits in there, just don't know off the top of my head how much. That could be my mission for the weekend!

Every time I go home after work at the moment and see a letter on the mat I am wondering if it is the final bit of news. I was thinking of going up into the loft and gathering some bits and pieces for a car boot. The kids loved doing it last year and they sold off quite a few toys. It would also be a really good way to declutter as I seem to be a bit of a hoarder. Think that is going to be challenge number 2 this weekend if I don't get into the loft I need to at least fill a bag or two for the charity shop.

Currently looking towards pay day again. I had to dip into my savings to see me through the weekend. On the upside the cheque for the dividends has cleared and it's been transferred over the M account. Must remember to check the balance.

Yesterday was a NSD and I have been spending some down time, what little I get, reading through some diaries. They make interesting reading and every so often I get an idea or two I would like to try. Have been looking at Apple's and she was using the Debt Free Challenge board. So I will definitely be popping in there.

I think I over spent on food this month as we still have loads, but it will just roll into next month and make it easier. There are a couple of dishes that I made from batch cooking that I'm looking forward to eating. But there are still a couple of bottles of wine so I can kick back and celebrate that I have made it through to Friday. It may have been a short week, but I am feeling progressively more tired as the week goes on. Looking forward to a lie in tomorrow morning fingers crossed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport