Taking the plunge

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Options
    So I've managed to catch up on few diaries over the past couple of days and they have been inspiring. As a result I've also begun to listen to some Dave Ramsey podcasts. The good news is that I am still walking to work and have taken to listening to Spotterfly on the way. I've managed to get his podcasts through that so I'm calling it a win. I'd normally only listen to music so this is a new thing for me. I'm hoping I'll learn something new and will use this to try to keep me on the MSE wagon over the coming weeks.

I've also stayed good in that I'm taking lunch to work with me for at least 3 out of 5 days. I've stopped filling up plastic pots and started using jam jars for left overs instead. So the left over roasted veg and a chicken thigh the kids didn't eat has been turned into 3 days of soup (I added some water and mashed it all down a bit).

DS2 also has his birthday next month and will be 14. He's growing quite quickly at the moment and whilst he doesn't complain I know he would like a few new brand clothes. He did say he only wanted clothes as presents. So I've raided the bay of E. Every day for the past week there have been parcels arriving and it's felt a little like Xmas for me. I feel like I've done well. I think I've bought 4 jumpers, 4 tshirts and a jacket for the price of a branded jumper!! Just need to hide it all and hope he likes it.
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    As well as being very wet the weekend has been a bit hit and miss, with a fair few positives. The car is misbehaving and has a potential radiator/pipe leak. Two bottles of coolant later and it was still not holding all the fluid and giving warning lights. So we've put a fluid in that is supposed to fix leaks. It's cost us approx. £30 in different bottles of gunk. So far so good. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

The rain lead to the boys being a little more grumpy than usual. Not helped by them having a movie night and staying up later than usual. However, I think they had fun playing out in the rain.

On the upside we had free fish and chips on Friday. I like free :)

I bought oxtail (ys) for the first time on Saturday. I've never bought or eaten it before. Must admit it was much more expensive than I thought it would be. So much for a cheap cut. Anyhow I put it in the slow cooker with as many vegetables as I could fit in (even the beetroot!) and added some beans too with generous helping of random herbs and spices. It is delicious!! I can say that having just had some out of a jam jar for lunch :) There is enough there for at least 8 portions. So that is me sorted for the next few weeks of lunch unless we have some tonight for dinner.

Another upside is I've had a refund from the school for a school trip that did not take place as advertised. It resulted in the kids staying at a different venue and not experiencing everything promised. The few quid will be added to the mortgage pot later.

Onwards and upwards :)
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    A quick review of where we are currently at and the past couple of weeks. We stayed at home last weekend and Mr J did loads of overtime. This gave me a chance to blitz the house. I also managed to redecorate the kitchen/diner. Resulting in a refreshed room and us both being shattered. However, the boys enjoyed it and it was a fairly frugal weekend as I avoided all shops and used the paint and tools that had been bought previously.

The tiredness is starting to creep up on us all though. So last night we treated ourselves to a meal out. I went begrudgingly (initially) - poor Mr J I don't know how he puts up with me! £40 (thanks to M33rcats) later the four of us had eaten. I was a little vexed at having spent £13 on diet colas!!! However, life is for living and the occasional treat is good for the soul.

I've been good and only eaten out twice this week for lunch. The rest of the time I've been having my lunch in a jar. One of the other staff mocked me for suddenly becoming all mother earth with little jam jar. But when I explained it was a perfect portion size and freezable too she soon changed her tune :)

I haven't made any OPs recently. I know it is ticking away nicely at the moment. So I am not doing so many TTs. I think we are into the region of £55k, which would be a fab break through. It means calling up the Mco to check, which I cba to do. It would be so much easier if I had a current account with them as then I could have online banking.

This weekend Mr J is working again and I'm staying at home with the DSs. One is grounded so it will not be an easy weekend. One likely to be filled with echoes of 'I'm bored'. So I plan to take them out a bit and get some fresh air. Possibly take them with their bikes up to the local country park for some x country fun. That's if I'm feeling brave! Very brave could mean me trying a park run (that could be foolish rather than brave as I haven't done any running recently, but I could walk and run!). Otherwise I might have a go at trying to re-decorate the bedroom. I do have some paint etc. in the shed. I haven't found any paper that I like sufficiently yet though. It needs to be done so we can install a radiator especially as it is starting to get cold.

What I do need to do is book some annual leave for 1/2 term, book the chimney sweep, order some logs for the fire and stop procrastinating on the report that is due at work. Oh well, best be good. Happy weekend one and all x
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well it's been just over a year since I last popped in and updated this. Some things have changed and many other things haven't. I'm in the same job only in the last year of my degree. Mr J has changed jobs a few times. The caravan is no longer as of this month! Good bye holiday home and here's dreaming of new dreams :) And of course, Covid has made its mark on the world :( 

Balance update today. We're are £42k!!! I'm happy as we've maxed our 10% overpayment allowance for the year and a new one will start in January. 

Xmas is just a short while away and I am feeling under prepared. Fleabay may have saved the day, subject to post arriving. I managed to find a few personalised bits on there that were a darn sight cheaper than a popular site that does similar products. 

Two good things about the caravan going is:
    A) We flogged a load of bits that we didn't need any more and have made £500 back on things such as tumble dryers, sheds, etc. 
    B) We will save a significant amount of money moving forwards. Some of which will need to be ploughed into some home maintenance as we've not been so good at that. Found a starling in the loft on Saturday evening. It must have got in through the soffits. So that will be one of the first jobs after the new year. 

So far the decorating bug has got me. The DB's room has been overhauled. They don't want bunk beds any more. Plus the beds are starting to squeak. So the 2nd hand selling sites have been really helpful in locating some furniture. So far on 2 single beds and new mattresses we have saved over £250 by being patient and resourceful. 
    We're enjoying being at home. The garden and decorating are definitely keeping me busy. As keyworkers we've not stopped and the house needs some loving.

Now we just need to get the mortgage down and start saving towards new dreams. A 2nd home in the countryside with sufficient land for animals and being self sufficient is in the plan. Where exactly we're not sure. It's a bit of a way off, the boys need to finish schooling first ideally. But it's good to dream and also appreciate what we've got and how far we have come so far. 

• Jelllibeanz
    Jelllibeanz Posts: 191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It really has been a long time since I last checked in and updated where things are at. I apologise for my neglect!! If you've managed to get this far - thank you for reading my ramblings. 

A summary of the last few years would be as follows:
    - Completed a business degree apprenticeship (saved approx. £30k in uni fees) and this led to a promotion at work and more money!

- Love learning so have joined another apprenticeship in Senior Leadership. Once complete I will just need to contribute a few hundred quid and a few months of study to obtain an MBA. This investment is helping me in my current role and will help me with transferable skills for the future. 

- A couple of holidays to the Land of the Mouse, in which we spent plenty but stayed within our comfort zones.

- A couple of NC500 tours in a rented motorhome with the kids were a great way to see Scotland on a back to basics approach.

- OH has a new job with better money and conditions.

- We haven't got married yet. It is still on the to do list! 

I touched base earlier with the bank. I cannot believe we are nearly there! The figures indicate we have just over £11k left to clear.  The fixed rate finishes in April and going through the options I think we are going to carry on OP and aim to get it cleared by September. I've done the maths and whilst it will be tight in places it could be doable.

This means the mortgage will be cleared ten years earlier than what was planned when I first took it out. I will be mortgage free before I am 50!!! The end is in sight and to think there was a point when I thought I wouldn't be able to get one in the first place!!

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport