Taking the plunge

Options

Comments

• Jelllibeanz
    Options
    I haven't been so good with keeping this up to day lately so must try harder.

Last weekend was fun and stressful. Friday we were all exhausted and had a bit of a day at work so the evening went in a blur. However, I did have lunch bought for me by a colleague that was very yummy and left me so stuffed I couldn't be bothered with cooking that night. In actual fact the kids had nuggets and chips for the first time in ages and were thrilled!!

On Saturday we got a load of logs delivered and tackled the radiator that had come off the wall. The kids deny having anything to do with it, but having stepped around it laying flat on the floor we figured it was the best time to get it done. The plan was to freeze the pipes, cap it off and then redecorate at a later date. However, it lead to a mini disaster with the pipes under the floor boards being cracked and leaking through into the living room. Subsequently MrJ had to call out an engineer on the insurance as we didn't have sufficient tools to fix it. Couple that with the fact the plaster had blown behind it so there was no way it could really be put back anyhow. It caused MrJ to be quite stressed. He has enjoyed watching the plumber and has a plan for things in the future.

The upside was DD1 and his GF decided to spend the evening with us with a few glasses of wine and a roaring log fire. They are moving out in a couple of weeks for the first time and it was good to have a catch up. It resulted in us spending the Sunday up at a local retail park buying a few bits. It was really good to see them so happy together and despite them wanting to buy everything independently we have managed to make a contribution towards their list of things they want/need. Actually even they have been good and rated everything from 1-3 on a need asap to would like at some point in 3 months time basis.

The car is still playing up a little. Not sure how long it will last. Having over filled it with oil causing it smoke, then getting the oil drained/changed etc. it is getting a little temperamental. The engine management light came on last week and a mate kindly identified it was misfiring on the second cylinder. He's kindly replaced all the spark plugs for me and the engine management light has now gone off. Total spend so far of £13. It feels a lot better, but then we have had it lose power every so often. Yesterday my eldest drove the kids home for me just in case we broke down on the way home. So I am trying to limit all journeys to local ones. I love my baby car and dread the idea of needing to replace it.

Shouldn't need to do a food shop for a week or so as the cupboards and freezer are really full. Must do an inventory and bag up some of the bulk buys we got yesterday. Can't wait to go home, cook and chill out in front of the fire. Roll on home time.
    Onwards and upwards with the occasional kick up the butt required! ;)
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k Mar 19 = £61k
    Aiming for 10% OP in 2019 - £1320.95/£6100 £3420/£3520 credit card at 0%
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well the car is definitely trying to give up on me. I walked home from work last night, breaking the journey with a little pit stop into Aldi. Think it is definitely going to go to car heaven. I'm going to try living without one for a week. It will be a challenge.
    DS1 was off to the industrial park to buy some bits for his new pad (he moves out next week :( ) and I got him to pick up and drop off some cat food for me. Saves me spending double the amount round at the corner shop.

We are having a stay at home weekend with all intentions of avoiding the shops and making sure we relax. I want MrJ to kick back and do absolutely nothing. He's been working too hard of late and needs to learn to just be. I could do with it too. So I lit the fire at 8 this morning in a bid to make him use the living room. It's worked!! He's now chilling out with DS3 watching TV on demand whilst I warm my tootsies. :) I am even having a slobbing out session in my trackies. It's nice to not have to dress up and be smart. Would have stayed in my pjs but I figured that was stretching it.

A little Tilly tidy today and lots of washing to do - 3 loads down and 2 to go. So whilst the boys watch TV I'm gonna go onto SB and try to collect some points. I've already enjoyed reading through some diaries on here and have answered some work emails.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Well yesterday was super relaxing and exactly what we needed. We kept the fire going all day and snuggled up watching films. I got a surprise phone call from DS1, whose GF has offered to loan me her car for a week as she car shares with her family. They've said they will drop it off today.

In the meantime MrJ forgot to get a joint of meat out of the freezer for today and he is determined he wants to cook a roast. So we have agreed we will either wait for the car to arrive or take a walk into town. So for now we are both working on our laptops preparing for the weekahead. The kids have gone out to play football for half an hour and had their hair cut.

I have SB videos playing in the background to keep me company while I work. I haven't been so good at using it lately. However, I have been good at uploading my receipts onto some other apps and we are nearing a payout.
  • SunnyVic
    Options
    Hey Jellibeanz, just sat down and read through your diary! You've made fantastic progress over the last few months, you must be so pleased with how far you've come. xx
  • Maiden_Mum
    Options
    Well done Jellibeanz on the progress you are making!
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    Hiya
    I am rather pleased although I feel like my foot has been a little off the gas with my diary, but there have been a few MSE things we have been up to in the meantime. Thank you x

Warning a long post......

I haven't done so well at saving this past few weeks, the house has needed some work doing to it. The windows were finally installed last week and we now have lovely sash ones that are much more in keeping with things - we are in a conservation area so didn't have much choice, I'm not complaining as it looks good :)
    We've really noticed the difference in the temperature. The old windows had aluminium frames and were badly buckled. So the heating has been blipped on occasionally for 15 mins to take the edge off the house and I've enjoyed cosying up by the fire at night. Have found putting coals in the bottom off it gives off long lasting heat and the ashes are still warm and glowing when we get up in the morning.
    Just need to wait for the builder to come in and make the hole for the bi-fold doors and then they can be installed. Aside from the builder it is all paid for :)
    Whilst we were home last week MrJ called up a roofing co. and asked them to repoint where the tiles meet the side of the house as when it rains in a particular direction we were getting a small amount of water through. Just as well really as there were large chunks of mortar missing. Job done for £100. I don't know why, but it was a lot cheaper than I expected it might be. So a big relief and now we are weather proof.

The Crimbo planning has begun and some pressies are starting to arrive. I've managed to accrue £10 from Shopprize so I used that towards some for the boys and have been using cashback sites to locate the best deal for other bits and pieces. It's all mounting up. I just need to find somewhere safe to stash some bits away from prying eyes.

In other news DS1 did move out. I spent the first few days of this suffering empty nest syndrome and bawled my eyes out a few times. He is only a 10 minute drive up the road though. We took the decision to move DS2 and 3 into his old room this weekend. They are chuffed with having more space. I plan to keep the very dark grey walls (much to MrJ's dissatisfaction) and have persuaded him that they do not need a new, bigger TV as their old one works great and the wooden wardrobe can be painted white rather than being replaced. He still reckons the paint won't hold, but I reckon it will. The wooden floor boards in their room are exposed and are now in pretty bad shape due to DS1's computer chair. However, MrJ had a fab idea yesterday and rather than buy new boards we could just flip them over and sand back!
    So it is starting to come together.

On the car front ..... my Zafira gave up the ghost and there was no way it would make it through it's next MOT cost effectively. So it went to srap heaven and I got by with my DiL's car for a few days. Then friends said I could borrow their van, provided I taxed and insured it. I ran a quote through with my insurance to change it over and they wanted to charge me an extra £400!!!! So that idea quickly went out of the window. A few hours later the same friends called me and explained they were happy for me to use their son's car until he passes his test!!! I was totally made up! All I had to do was buy a new battery for it, sort the tax and insurance. So for the past week I have been mobile. It's a little Corsa so much smaller than I am used to but fun to drive and it's keeping the kids warm. A perfect little run around until I can find a car that I actually want! :)

So where am I at now? Well I am doing a few little odd jobs around the house to prevent me going out shopping. Therefore the kitchen floor has been re-grouted and this morning I've sanded back the last bit of floor boards under the bay window in the living room ready for varnishing. Just need to make a list of what to do next. I have SB running in the background so I can collect some points and plenty of housework to be getting along with.

Happy Monday xx
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    So I am going to be working from home until after Christmas, when I will start my new job. All I need to do is respond to emails and write a few reports. It will save me on fuel and mean I am around more for the kids. The kids are made up about it and I am already starting to feel a little more relaxed. It's also good this week as I am waiting on several Xmas pressies to be delivered.

Even though this morning is warmer than it has been for the past week or so I am feeling snuggly. Perhaps it's because I had a rough night. So I've loaded up the fire, shut the door and popped a couple of smelly candles on.

The washing machine finished a short while ago and the five pairs of black jeans that were going grey are back to black thanks to the dye. So that's saved a few quid. Why is it so difficult to find a pair of jeans that are the perfect fit?? Any how that stress is now removed :)

I've done a little TT - haven't been so good at that over the past three weeks. And have been topping up my coins on Shopprize by logging on every morning.

I've agreed to drop off some hm frozen lasagne for DS1 and his GF. I was worried I'd offend her a little, dunno why, but at least it's something he can bung in the oven whilst he's working. When I come back I might do some home baking. Not sure what yet, but there are a few things that can be cobbled together to make a pudding for tonight.
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    So yesterday I treated myself to a couple of hours snuggled up on the sofa with a movie (Me to You) which lead me to bawling my eyes out. I did pop over to see DS1 for a short while armed with frozen lasagna and few bits of his that were laying around.

Work has been really quiet (I'm not complaining) but it has lead to me looking at sites and doing a little more shopping. Upside is that we have the majority of the Xmas dinner now sorted - Icyland had a £10 off £60 spend and I went through £co which lead to a £2.50 bonus (they seem to be doing them frequently this week) and a few extra pennies in the account. I used that £10 to buy a turkey crown and there were a couple of other bits that I've got to put in the hamper I'm making for DS1 and GF e.g. chocolates, milkshake - basically all the little things that he enjoys to make it a more comfortable holiday season.

I also did the dangerous thing of popping in MrT for ys bargains on the way back and fell prey to buying 6 bottles of wine for Crimbo which were £1 cheaper than usual and 25% off if you buy six, thus two out of six were free! They've been tucked away for now.

So I now need to do an inventory of all the stuff in the cupboards and fridge and avoid the shops for the next couple of weeks. I have, in the process of tidying up, stumbled across a pot of white eggshell and a radiator roller. So I do not have to visit the DIY store and I can repaint the wardrobe in the boys room so that it all matches.

Am looking forward to payday now - can't wait to do the money shuffle.

TTFN x
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    So I haven't done the inventory yet, but I did (just about) manage to get all the frozen food stored. The fridge needs a good clear down. So no food allowed out of the freezer until all the fridge stuff has gone. Although I have taken out something for my lunch on Friday to defrost ;)

I've had a bit of a clear out. As it happens it's been so long since I last used the tumble drier I found a load of white school shirts and pillow cases in there that the kids have outgrown!!! I've moved it into the now spare room and also found a king size duvet I bought DS1 a year ago still in the packaging that he decided not to use! So I've nabbed it for myself and recycled my old one into the dog's new bed, with which she looked very happy :)

Have had to spend the day in waiting for a delivery. MrJ complained to the insurance provider who manages our plumbing and drainage for the atrocious service we'd had. They had promised to send a cheque covering the excess plus another £50 on top by way of an apology. However, this still hadn't arrived. So they have sent us a hamper of goodies. It arrived a short while ago and is now sitting in the middle of the living room waiting for MrJ to come home. Feels a little like Xmas! I've decided not to open it until he gets here. It's worth complaining sometimes :)

Oh and tomorrow I am going to have to pop by the supermarket and pick up some mince pies - they're free on Clicksnap this week!! Must take a list and try to stick to it.

x
  • Jelllibeanz
    Options
    So I finally got to open the hamper when MrJ arrived home last night. It felt light so I wasn't expecting much but there were 2 bottles of wine, some speciality chocolates, crisps, a cake, pates etc! He suggested we re-gift it, but there were a few things I wanted out of it. So we've agreed to regift the box, wrapping and a couple of bits to make DS1+GF's hamper and keep the rest. :)

I've done a £4.51 TTup and have thought of way to build an extra shelf in the bottom of the boys' wardrobe using an old unit that's in the shed.

Our dog is round at the vets for the day. She is having some lumps checked, potentially removed and being spayed at the same time. So she will be home feeling worse for wear this evening and my account will be hit too. Am really missing her not being curled up next to me. Am looking forward to bringing her home, but dreading seeing her in discomfort.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport