Sainsbury's price increases after Argos group takeover

Comments

• A._Badger
    A._Badger Forumite Posts: 5,841
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    sitesafe wrote: »
    Yes, and unfortunately we've been tolerating smaller packs for years since before the Brexit vote. I do appreciate the weakened pound etc but I do think that supermarkets will use the Brexit excuse for price rises when it's not just about that...

Well said. Pack shrinkage has been common for nearly 20 years. Blaming it on Brexit is just political opportunism.
  • I wouldn't know about Sainsburgers putting up prices as suggested in the OP - I haven't noticed them more-so than the others certainly.
    Including Aldi, BTW who have increased prices on a few of the things I regularly buy/bought.

Any shopper who is really MSE will presumably do what I do.
    Which is, firstly only to shop at Sainsburgers (or Tesco for that matter) when they supply decent money-off coupons.

Sainsburgers are good at sending me 4 or 6 weeks-worth; alternating one week money off petrol/diesel for minimum spend and the next week straight cash off the shop.
    So next week (just for example) I get £12 off a minimum £60 spend.

Tesco also quite often send me vouchers, admittedly not often as generous as Sainsburgers. I count myself very lucky to get 15% at Tesco - say £9 off £60 for example. Tesco often also attempt to entice with money off larger spends than my usual which doesn't work with me, like £12 off £90 or similar.

There's a handy site called Mysupermarket which helps me to find offers before I go (and compares prices), so I buy whatever offers are useful along with whatever else I would usually buy that is comparable in price to other supermarkets.
    If the price doesn't compare well or the offer is of no use I don't buy, it really is that simple.
    Also I only usually buy what I cannot get at Aldi/Lidl.
    A list which is decreasing all the time.

Stock up especially on the offers and it doesn't take long to hit the minimum spend (more so with a family of course) and it can make a substantial saving.
    This stocking-up then lasts until the arrival of the next lot of vouchers, so I can carry on using Aldi/Lidl without missing out on the stock they don't carry which our household uses.

Ah.
    This makes me look a little OCD with shopping, perhaps?
    Typical "thrifty Scot" even.
    :o
    But in reality I am only suggesting that real MSE shoppers wouldn't dream of using any of the large supermarkets (Sainsburgers included) unless they were getting a reasonably good deal.
    In which case those few pennies added to whatever items becomes largely irrelevant since we would not normally buy such items any way.

Tome complete.
    :D
  • Wesy76
    Wesy76 Forumite Posts: 3 Newbie
    PepsiCo have nothing to do with this. There haven't been price increases for years, in fact we have had deflation, however with rising costs and falling wages it's the perfect storm. If you shop around Poundshops and major discounters you will continue to pick up bargains but may have to limit your choice to short dated goods (independent pound stores, not chains).
  • Wesy76
    Wesy76 Forumite Posts: 3 Newbie
    I wasn't aiming a political swipe, sorry if it came across that way, it's what I have seen in my business. We buy raw materials from all over the world and our suppliers only deal in Dollars or Euros (we have no choice). Since the vote the pound weakened considerably and our costs rocketed because we had to still buy in these now more expensive currencies. We hedged about six months ahead but now this is catching up and it's sad but we have to pass these costs on to remain in business. I hope the pound recovers, I really do.
  • bargainhunterss
    bargainhunterss Forumite Posts: 792
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, has anybody else noticed that prices for food and household goods at Sainsbury's have gone up by at least by 10 to 15p on most things. Looks like Sainsbury's are getting their customers to foot the bill for their Argos group takeover. Even special offer prices have gone up. An example is Pepsi. Used to be on offer for a 1.00, now on offer for 1.25. Will now be looking to shop elsewhere.

On the Pepsi thing, I think most places have put their standard price for this up to £1.25. I haven't really noticed it at less than this anywhere (except the deal you get at Iceland where it's 2 x 3 L for £2.50).
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    I thought I would add that I had to shop for a few basic items shop in Morrisons, and found it ridiculously expensive compared to Aldi!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    Hi. I have been in 3 supermarkets today. Now I picked up BROWN SAUCE in Lidl (amongst other things) and it cost 52p for 480g pack which will last ages.

Later on, I was in AZDAZ and their own brand sauce was 85p - now Asda usually I would say is my "favourite" supermarket as I trust the price they sell at.

Then went to J Sainsbury trying to track down pate by PATEPATE which I couldn't get but checked and their own brown sauce - this time 450g was £1.

Now I guess the 3 sauces MAY be different, but I think brown sauce on a hot roll of a Sunday all tastes the same to me.

I am shocked at this and will no longer shop in Sainsbury, watch Azdaz prices like a hawk and think I may get what I can at LIDL.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Forumite Posts: 5,841
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    In case readers of this group don't happen to frequent MSE's motoring equivalent, there is an interesting thread on it about a sudden price rise, possibly due to a policy change, of Sainsbury's petrol and diesel.

There are comments about unexpected price rises for Sainsbury's grocery products, too.

It's starting to sound like Sainsbury's is up to something.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    A._Badger wrote: »
    In case readers of this group don't happen to frequent MSE's motoring equivalent, there is an interesting thread on it about a sudden price rise, possibly due to a policy change, of Sainsbury's petrol and diesel.

There are comments about unexpected price rises for Sainsbury's grocery products, too.

It's starting to sound like Sainsbury's is up to something.
    I did notice this - Sainsbury's is usually competitive for fuel but this changed over the last fortnight. I went out of my way and found fuel at Asda for 5p/L less.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • soul1
    soul1 Forumite Posts: 108
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Having seen the multiple threads with regards to this, I do sincerely hope that Sainsbury's management team do take note and hopefully do something. The Channel 4 Dispatches programme tomorrow night should be interesting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 340.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 448.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 232K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 603.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 171.7K Life & Family
  • 245.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure