Sainsbury's price increases after Argos group takeover

Comments

• sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Yes to the main post, I actually commented on this on a different thread yesterday.

I tend to buy healthy foods and noticed the prices on several of the things i buy had increased considerably. Eg 3 sliced cooked meat used to be £1.50 now £1.75. Two small pieces of salmon used to be £3.50, now £3.75. I thought maybe it was because of all the New Year resolution people that are dieting so they thought they would cash in on that. Or maybe it's not just the healthy foods they have increased the prices of? I had to go to Tescos the other day and for what I buy it was definitely cheaper, shame I don't have one closer as Sainsbury's prices have increased too much for me and I would use Tesco instead
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I suppose using the mysupermarket website would be a good idea in the future to compare prices...
  • Yes. I also noticed some large % increases. Such as value yogurt up from 50p to 60p, while ASDA and Lidl have stayed on 45p for the same product. Pitta bread up from 50p to 55p. 15 value eggs up from £1.25 to £1.35. Own brand ibuprofen up from 35p to 55p - compared with 25p at ASDA, Wilco and Lidl.

Am now making a point of driving to ASDA and Lidl, despite Sainsbury's being at the bottom of my garden!
  • MCGONIS
    MCGONIS Posts: 699 Forumite
    Packet of paracetamol.

Sainsbury 55p.

Azdaz 19p.

OH PLEASE!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    MCGONIS wrote: »
    Packet of paracetamol.

Sainsbury 55p.

Azdaz 19p.

OH PLEASE!
    Man cannot live on paracetamol alone.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2017 at 1:08AM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Man cannot live on paracetamol alone.

Maybe, but it relieves the pain of it. ;)
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • I have shopped at Sainsbury's for years, even though they were a little more expensive than many of the other big supermarkets.
    However the recent, massive, 'across the board' price increases have put a stop to my weekly shop there.
    How can you justify the price of a 500ml bottle of Dettol jumping from £3.50 to £5.00 in one week. Fairy Liquid £2.00 - £2.25, Sainsbury's Bleach 40p - 55p, Activia Creamy Yoghurt £2.40 - £2.50, Bacon Medallions £1.80 - £2.00, Nestle Pure Life Water £2.29 - £2.80 etc!
    These are regular everyday items, the increases are scandalous, moreover nearly everything in the store has had between 10p & 25p added to the price.
    Many items have increased by 30 to 40 percent, shame on you Sainsbury's!
    After going into Asda to shop, I have noticed that all of the same items (barring own brands) remain at the original prices, many even cheaper that Sainsburys "pre increased' prices.
    Admittedly, shopping at Sainsbury's was less frenetic, however i simply cannot and will not pay their ludicrous prices anymore!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    How can you justify the price of a 500ml bottle of Dettol jumping from £3.50 to £5.00 in one week. Fairy Liquid £2.00 - £2.25, Sainsbury's Bleach 40p - 55p, Activia Creamy Yoghurt £2.40 - £2.50, Bacon Medallions £1.80 - £2.00, Nestle Pure Life Water £2.29 - £2.80 etc!
    These are regular everyday items
    They are also branded items, so rich pickings for profits. You could try Martin's downshift challenge?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I certainly am, I find the price of their f&v ludicrous as it is.

I live within yards of a large store but make the round trip to Aldi instead (all of 1/2 a mile :D).

I have stopped shopping in Sainsburys since we had an Aldi open. I cannot believe how much money I have saved and it still surprises me how much I can buy for £20 in there whereas Sainsburys you buy six standards items and it can be £20.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    BBH123 wrote: »
    I have stopped shopping in Sainsburys since we had an Aldi open. I cannot believe how much money I have saved and it still surprises me how much I can buy for £20 in there whereas Sainsburys you buy six standards items and it can be £20.

I'm a Sainsbury's refusenik too. I once used them regularly because of a store's convenient location but these days all Sainsbury's gets from me is a little bit of top-up shopping for things I can't get from Aldi.

As I tend to top-up on the same day I do my main Aldi shopping, I have the latter's prices firmly in mind when I'm there. Like you, I can hardly believe some of the differences!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure