Sainsbury's price increases after Argos group takeover

Hi everyone, has anybody else noticed that prices for food and household goods at Sainsbury's have gone up by at least by 10 to 15p on most things. Looks like Sainsbury's are getting their customers to foot the bill for their Argos group takeover. Even special offer prices have gone up. An example is Pepsi. Used to be on offer for a 1.00, now on offer for 1.25. Will now be looking to shop elsewhere.
«13456789

Replies

  • soul1soul1 Forumite
    107 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just to add that rather passing on these costs to consumers, Sainsbury's could easily absorb these costs themselves.
  • citykid5citykid5 Forumite
    821 Posts
    So will a lot of people if they continue to put prices up.
    One day they will become wiser
  • Is it just the Argos costs behind this, though - or other factors such as the weak pound? Sainsburys wouldn't be so anti-competitive at the risk of their market share, and it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the big 4 also hike their prices up to similar.

    Worth keeping an eye on.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, has anybody else noticed that prices for food and household goods at Sainsbury's have gone up by at least by 10 to 15p on most things. Looks like Sainsbury's are getting their customers to foot the bill for their Argos group takeover. Even special offer prices have gone up. An example is Pepsi. Used to be on offer for a 1.00, now on offer for 1.25. Will now be looking to shop elsewhere.

    Got anything to back that up ?

    You don't know if the increase has come from PepsiCo themselves, they wanted to charge say £1.50 and sainsburys agreed but only increased the price by 25p.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Is it just the Argos costs behind this, though - or other factors such as the weak pound? Sainsburys wouldn't be so anti-competitive at the risk of their market share, and it wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the big 4 also hike their prices up to similar.

    Worth keeping an eye on.

    Sainsbury's took a decision to pitch its prices higher that many of its competitors some years ago. It has been expensive since long before the Argos purchase and the 'weak pound' is an excuse used by politicians and price gougers. The pound has simply gone back to where it was a few years ago.

    Against all the odds it seems to have paid off. People seem to feel they are getting a better shopping experience at Sainsbury's. Heaven knows why as they are buying more or less identical products and judging from my local Sainsbury's the checkout queues are hopeless - the operators chatter away like fishwives.

    I wince every time I hear that 'live well for less' lie coming over the tannoy every few minutes. Is there anyone in the shop dense enough to believe it?!
  • soul1soul1 Forumite
    107 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Got anything to back that up ?

    You don't know if the increase has come from PepsiCo themselves, they wanted to charge say £1.50 and sainsburys agreed but only increased the price by 25p.


    Hi with regards to Pepsi 2l bottles, Tesco's normal price is 1.25 and Waitrose had it on offer a few weeks ago for a 1.00. Therefore I have no idea tbh if the increase in price has come from Pepsi themselves or Sainsbury's. Fair point though :)
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Prices go up, fact of life. They have to to cover wage rises, tax, insurance and a thousand other business costs.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • A._BadgerA._Badger Forumite
    5.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    McKneff wrote: »
    Prices go up, fact of life. They have to to cover wage rises, tax, insurance and a thousand other business costs.

    This is Moneysavingexpert. I'mloadedandcouldn'tcareless is next door.
  • k3lvck3lvc Forumite
    3.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    soul1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, has anybody else noticed that prices for food and household goods at Sainsbury's have gone up by at least by 10 to 15p on most things. Looks like Sainsbury's are getting their customers to foot the bill for their Argos group takeover. Even special offer prices have gone up. An example is Pepsi. Used to be on offer for a 1.00, now on offer for 1.25. Will now be looking to shop elsewhere.

    Shop elsewhere then - can't imagine Sainsburys will be overly bothered. It's likely to be little to do with Argos acquisition and more likely to do with food inflation (that magically people seem to think doesn't exist) and exchange rates.

    Do you think companies shouldn't make profit ?
  • antrobusantrobus Forumite
    17.4K Posts
    k3lvc wrote: »
    ...It's likely to be little to do with Argos acquisition and more likely to do with food inflation (that magically people seem to think doesn't exist) and exchange rates....

    Well, for the past couple of years food inflation has indeed "magically" not existed. We have had food price deflation over 2015 and 2016. It is only recently, bad weather in the Med, falling pound etc, that things have changed. Which is why, I suspect, people are moaning about it.

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/12/13/food-prices-set-rise-grocery-sector-emerges-two-years-deflation/
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES