Electric cars

Options

Comments

• zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Apparently, much of the current local distribution network was typically sized at 1.5 Kwh per house, per day, plus a small contingency.
    Hi

Really? ... that doesn't sound right unless we're talking about early last century ... 1.5kWh/day ? ... 550kWh/year? ... or in everyday terms, around 17% of an average dual-fuel home's annual electricity requirements! ...

Are you sure you're not thinking of the network being sized to cope with the average home drawing 1.5kW at any one time? ... do you have a source as the figure sounds unbelievably low ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 January 2018 at 9:24PM
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    do you have a source as the figure sounds unbelievably low ...

HTH
    Z

My source is a lecture slide from a colleague. His source was a Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) paper. I would need to ask him specifically which one.

I can PM you a copy of the slide if you like.

Edit: I've just checked the slide and my memory has obviously failed me. What it actually says is that the network (substations, transformers, cables etc.) is typically sized for 1.5Kw per household, plus a small contingency.

I interpret this to mean that the network was sized to cope with an overall average draw of 1.5 Kw at any one time.
  • zeupater
    Options
    My source is a lecture slide from a colleague. His source was a Department for Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) paper. I would need to ask him specifically which one.

I can PM you a copy of the slide if you like.

Edit: I've just checked the slide and my memory has obviously failed me. What it actually says is that the network (substations, transformers, cables etc.) is typically sized for 1.5Kw per household, plus a small contingency.

I interpret this to mean that the network was sized to cope with an overall average draw of 1.5 Kw at any one time
    Hi

That sounds more realistic based on a logical assessment, hence ...
    Are you sure you're not thinking of the network being sized to cope with the average home drawing 1.5kW at any one time?

HTH
    Z

ps - It probably says 'kW' not 'Kw' ... unless it was written by someone unfamiliar with the correct terms ... ;)
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    ps - It probably says 'kW' not 'Kw' ... unless it was written by someone unfamiliar with the correct terms ... ;)

It does. However, getting it wrong isn't that uncommon even for those who are supposed to be familiar with the correct terms. I see it every day.
    My excuse, I went to art school.salute.gif

Interestingly, looking at the previous slide in the presentation, based on a VW Golf sized EV travelling the UK average 24 miles per day, drawing 12 kwh/day from the grid, the maximum the grid could cope with could be as few as 1 million vehicles.

That's without smart charging
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Apparently, much of the current local distribution network was typically sized at 1.5 Kwh per house, per day, plus a small contingency.

If that was true and it hasn’t been uprated subsequently, then every Christmas at lunchtime everything should blow.
  • zeupater
    Options
    It does. However, getting it wrong isn't that uncommon even for those who are supposed to be familiar with the correct terms. I see it every day.
    My excuse, I went to art school.salute.gif

Interestingly, looking at the previous slide in the presentation, based on a VW Golf sized EV travelling the UK average 24 miles per day, drawing 12 kwh/day from the grid, the maximum the grid could cope with could be as few as 1 million vehicles.

That's without smart charging
    Hi

So many issues raised there that I'd not be surprised if the presentation's author also 'went to art school' ... :)

HTH
    Z
    B)
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    If that was true and it hasn’t been uprated subsequently, then every Christmas at lunchtime everything should blow.

Therein lies a further issue. The network, or large parts of it, is routinely overloaded during the day and critical components such as transformers rely on the current nightly lull to cool down. Overnight charging of EVs will remove the lull.
  • Gloomendoom
    Options
    Hi

So many issues raised there that I'd not be surprised if the presentation's author also 'went to art school' ... :)

HTH
    Z

Ha ha! If you were privy to his CV, that might be something of an insult.

Anything specific that you take issue with?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Therein lies a further issue. The network, or large parts of it, is routinely overloaded during the day and critical components such as transformers rely on the current nightly lull to cool down. Overnight charging of EVs will remove the lull.

Funny how the national grid report debunking scaremongering myths never mentioned that during their report on EV cars. Got a source for it ?
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Was that economics or budgeting affecting your family's vehicle choice though?
    I consider budgeting for our vehicles to be micro economics of the home and not macro economics of the country.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure